Author Topic: Aces High/Aces Low  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
Aces High/Aces Low
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:42:34 AM »
 I have been playing this game for nearly 3 years now and after floating around the game for a while I have learned a few things and still have tons of stuff, that I don't have to learn, but get better at. I recently took on a new guy in my squad and watching him go through his frustrations I went through my own progression in the game.

This guy signed up to fly planes in a flight sim just like most of us and I found myself and other squad members trying to find something that he could jump into and get a few kills so he wouldn't quit. Now in the process of us trying to teach him the little bit we know and sending him to web site after web site to read page after page of stuff he has very little understanding of, I realized why myself and many other players in AH end up on the ground. I remember reading a post in this forum where someone made the statement "well its a flight sim not a tank sim". Well I can see why so many new members end up on the ground in this game, first off I can take a new player stick him in a tank behind a tree somewhere and he has a better chance of being successful than strapping him in one of many planes, each being different to fly by the way, and sending him up to get shot down time after time.

The different  is that he has no icon and so in fact against even the best Tanker in the game, which there or many, he has a chance against them, because the simple fact they can't spot him by icon. I recently worked with a trainer who was great and I found myself in awe of what this guy could do in this plane, and I was shocked to find out that this guy had been playing the game 8 or 9 years, Well I knew then that I would never be in the same class of this guy or stand a chance in a one on one fight,even if I held my own he would always be a little better than me.

So in working with this new guy in my squad I found myself trying to teach him the simpler parts of the game, Bombing from extreme altitudes and getting in a Wirby, where IMO I could teach a monkey to shoot down planes, shooting at other players in a tank, and in fact teaching him Aces Low instead of Aces High, because I don't want to tell him it will take years to learn the dogfighting part of the game. I know a lot of players complain about these new guys but I think a lot of us forget we were the new guy once, so any advice how I keep this guy interested in the game without overwhelming him with tons of material to study and read, I'm going to get him set up with a trainer, but that could be a while. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:53:55 AM by Cajunn »
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Re: Aces High/Aces Low
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:09:18 AM »
Well, if you aren't going to use paragraphs, I at least give you some credit for making the font bigger so I could at least make it halfway through that...

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:20:24 AM »
I read the other half, you didn't miss anything that hasn't been said a million times. :devil
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:21:19 AM »
I volunteer to take you both to the TA for some one on one time.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:51:29 AM »
Sorry didn't mean it to be so long...just started typing and ended up with this mess.
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:38:14 AM »
Sorry didn't mean it to be so long...just started typing and ended up with this mess.
Dont mind them Cajunn, heres an idea you may be able to use which my sqaud is starting for ourselves. We are starting to have sqaud trainers, people who have been playing like you said 8-9 years teaching the new guys about ACM as good as they can. Its not gunna be anything like what the AH trainers can give you but Im sure it will help tons for the player learning so he can land some kills and stay in the game. I know I have helped sqauddies learn what i know, which i learned from a fellow Aces high player not a trainer (self taught picker i am :D ) Hope i was helpful <S>
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:00:22 AM »
First off Stang dude wtf why even post that? It doesn't make you look cool,smart, or funny you just come off as a sweetheart.

Secondly I think that you have to accept your not going to be the greatest pilot in the game and just have fun learning and kinda have a

whatever happens, happens attitude and it will be fun.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 04:25:42 AM »
First off Stang dude wtf why even post that? It doesn't make you look cool,smart, or funny you just come off as a sweetheart.

Secondly I think that you have to accept your not going to be the greatest pilot in the game and just have fun learning and kinda have a

whatever happens, happens attitude and it will be fun.

I think he posted it because he knew I was going to come along and read it and laugh.

There are some pretty basic ACM rules that if you abide by you will beat the majority of the MA population consistently.  For example, always try to get the lower ground in any head on merge (1-3k).  Probably the most simple and basic ACM maneuver, 75% of the MA population has no grasp of this. 

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:44:13 AM »
Actually, with hard work, proper training, and LOTS of practice, there is no reason you can't be as good as anybody in the game within a year or so.

If you really, REALLY work at it you could possibly halve that.

Most the "top" sticks reach a level where any of 'em can beat the other on "any given Sunday" as they say.  Who wins the fight depends on who is having the "better day" so to speak.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 06:29:23 AM »
What WmLute said, in spades!

If you are capable of learning the material, willing to invest a modest sum for a decent computer, and control system.
And a reasonable amount of time every day, week, month etc. There is no reason that most people can't get to the point where even against a good stick they have roughly a 50/50 chance.

Starting out its hard, no doubt about it. Its tough chewing no matter how you cut it.

6 months to a year to learn the basics, then another 6 - 18 months to learn the planes and the finnesse stuff.

The first 2 years that Widewing was around, long before he was a trainer. You could find him in the TA almost every night. Mostly flying off by himself, mastering one plane after the next. Learning the flight model, learning the little tips and tricks for each one. And then somehow storing all that data in that supercomputer he calls a brain.  :)

So its very possible, but chances are your not going to get there by heading to the main.
You need TA time, and ideally time with a good trainer. AH has several, most are pretty busy most of the time.

Start with your new guy by grabbing a very simple plane like the D3a1, and start teaching him basic merges. Using the vertical to keep your energy up, and basic escape manuvers.

Read all you can read, start at the trainers site.
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com

As for me, I don't consider myself a hot stick, and it took me 6 - 8 months of flying almost every day to get to where I could finally kill my teacher. At that point I exploded, it all started connecting. I reached my peak in AH probably 6 or 7 years ago, since then declining health, and age have left me just trying to hang on to what I have left. And pass on what I can to the next guy.

So don't let the sheer volume of time scare you.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:54:11 AM »
The number one ingredient you need to be good at this game is the WILL to want to be good at this game!

There is no trick to keep someone interested in this game. As to how to train him, I'd say get him in a spit and play target for him in the TA. Nobody dies, so it doesn't frustrate you as much. While being a target you'll get better at flying "outside" the plane which is great for you, while you watch him fly and tell him what he is doing wrong. Spend an hour or so in the TA then jump into the mains and fly as his wingman to cover his butt. If you can help him live a bit longer it might be enough for him to finish off a kill or two.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 07:11:52 AM »
some people think these threads are a waste of time and energy! these are the threads i look for. being newish to the game, this is what i look for on these boards. great story and posts guys. thanks!

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 08:53:34 AM »

I didn't think it was a mess. I was glad to read that your new squaddie is eager to learn, and that you're taking the time to help. :) I reckon if there was more of this at the individual level it would improve individual and overall gameplay. :aok
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »
Actually, with hard work, proper training, and LOTS of practice, there is no reason you can't be as good as anybody in the game within a year or so.
Tony and I are proof that you don't need a lot of time to get pretty good at somthing. I can speak for myself, that in 6 years of flying model airplanes, I know that I have gotten good at such a short amout of time. On the game, I've only played almost two years, and I know that I am pretty good for what I can do. Don't be mistaken though, I know that there is just some people, much like Tony, that I just cannot beat.

I'm pretty sure that Tony has been playing as long as I have, maybe a little longer, not sure, but he is one of the best sticks in the game right now.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 11:40:58 AM »
I'd like to compliment the OP on his honesty.  Air combat is difficult.  If it makes you feel any better, I came to this game with the ability to get air-to-air kills, but I was completely hopeless in a tank.

There's a lot of good suggestions here.  Something that hasn't been mentioned are the offline missions.  The AI doesn't hold still but they're still easier to shoot down than human opponents.  If your new guy can get the hang of shooting the AI opponents he'll have an easier transition to shooting human opponents.  Good luck.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!