Author Topic: Film Review  (Read 641 times)

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
Film Review
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:05:13 AM »
Well tonight I had the pleasure of dueling JB11 in a 109f4 vs 38g match up. I'm posting these films hoping you guys can find something I'm consistently doing wrong, with hopes that I can fix it ;) . I know that this is a tough match up from the get go, but I tried. And JB11 was wonderful in offering advise and encouragement, so I <S> him again. I also tossed in a film vs geist who was kind enough to duel me also. <S> to Geist as well.

1.) I think a big problem I had was getting nose low and gaining speed in the turns at the top of the double immel. Allowing him to get inside me. (Just my thoughts, could be totally wrong)
2.) A huge problem in my geist film I think is that I'm too timid to commit to the vertical and take a few shots that I'm presented with. And in the end I roll away from him instead of into, which ends the fight abruptly.

So here are the films, and don't hold back. Any criticism is welcome.
 EDIT: I forgot to mention that the 3rd JB fight is the 38L vs 190a5. I do a little better, minus the embarassing stall.

http://www.mediafire.com/?q2dmtycyx3y JB11 first fight
http://www.mediafire.com/?ntmneltjwh2 JB11 second fight
http://www.mediafire.com/?ztmmmzgzntt JB11 final fight
http://www.mediafire.com/?dxmzi3btzzj Geist fight
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:13:25 AM by Tordon22 »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Film Review
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:55:11 AM »
Well tonight I had the pleasure of dueling JB11 in a 109f4 vs 38g match up. I'm posting these films hoping you guys can find something I'm consistently doing wrong, with hopes that I can fix it ;) . I know that this is a tough match up from the get go, but I tried. And JB11 was wonderful in offering advise and encouragement, so I <S> him again. I also tossed in a film vs geist who was kind enough to duel me also. <S> to Geist as well.

1.) I think a big problem I had was getting nose low and gaining speed in the turns at the top of the double immel. Allowing him to get inside me. (Just my thoughts, could be totally wrong)
2.) A huge problem in my geist film I think is that I'm too timid to commit to the vertical and take a few shots that I'm presented with. And in the end I roll away from him instead of into, which ends the fight abruptly.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the 3rd JB fight is the 38L vs 190a5. I do a little better, minus the embarassing stall.

i got a fight against jb in midwar the other night.....him 109f, me 38j. unfortuantly, i don't think i offered him much of a challenge though. he is scary good in that 109 though.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:00:14 AM »
To me it looked like you were not ruddering into the turns enough. You seemed to stay in "lag" through most of the flying. You looked like you were very afraid to loose too much "E". Especially the giest fight. Sure the 109 climbs well, but you were close enough to push the fight longer in the vertical. He has to fight the torque, where you don't, push him a bit more and there is only one way for him to turn, with the torque.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:19:04 AM »
To me it looked like you were not ruddering into the turns enough.

From watching the films I'm pretty sure he does not have rudder pedals.  Trying to duel someone who has pedals when you don't is a major handicap.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:34:13 AM »
Actually I do have rudders  :frown: . But yeah, I'm pretty sure my key problems are rudder use and throttle control. Would love to hear your guildelines to using rudder :). I do try to use it to increase my roll rate, but I forget in the heat of a duel sometimes. That's just the rust lingering :). And I do appreciate the comments. Thanks.

-Zap

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:29:48 PM »
Actually I do have rudders  :frown: . But yeah, I'm pretty sure my key problems are rudder use and throttle control. Would love to hear your guildelines to using rudder :). I do try to use it to increase my roll rate, but I forget in the heat of a duel sometimes. That's just the rust lingering :). And I do appreciate the comments. Thanks.

-Zap

any chance you're gonna be on tonight? i THINK i should be home around 9'ish eastern.....and am probably gonna screw around in the ta....if ya want, pop in, and we can do some 38 fightin..........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
I'll try my best to be there. 90% sure I can make it.

-Zap

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 02:04:48 PM »
I use my rudder much like the stick, the more stick input, the more rudder. I also think that I use the rudder more going "nose low" that when I go "nose high". Whether that is right or not, I'm not sure  :D  I do know you could have been a bit more aggressive in all of those fights, but that's me. I go and fight in a 4 on 1, and the only thought I have of leaving the battle is when my plane is all busted up and all 4 enemy are down, THEN it's time to head for home  :aok While that doesn't happen much, its the way I fly.

In a duel like that more often than not your going all out, you "shouldn't"  :D  have to worry about someone else jumping in so there should be no defensive thoughts, just push him to your shot then take it. You looked like you just kinda followed him around until he made a mistake.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
I use my rudder much like the stick, the more stick input, the more rudder. I also think that I use the rudder more going "nose low" that when I go "nose high". Whether that is right or not, I'm not sure  :D  I do know you could have been a bit more aggressive in all of those fights, but that's me. I go and fight in a 4 on 1, and the only thought I have of leaving the battle is when my plane is all busted up and all 4 enemy are down, THEN it's time to head for home  :aok While that doesn't happen much, its the way I fly.

In a duel like that more often than not your going all out, you "shouldn't"  :D  have to worry about someone else jumping in so there should be no defensive thoughts, just push him to your shot then take it. You looked like you just kinda followed him around until he made a mistake.

when i was flying in the ta the other night, i delibretly let myself get sucked into slow fights. i was in p38j vs spit16. i did this, as i;ve seen others in the 38 turn with them, and out turn them. i found myself having to be much more careful with my rudder at such low speeds, especially with my nose pointed up. it also did wonders keeping my speed from increasing when i was nose low.
 i found myself in spins on multiple occasions, but somewhat easily recovered them.
 in a couple of the fights, i don't know what the hell i or he was doing, but he was in the top of my screen in the forward/up view. in this part, very light stick movement for roll, and very heavy rudder seemed to be what kept him there, and then allowed me to pull around a slight bit better.

this is why i've been going there lately. i get the time to practice, and learn, from/with some great sticks, and there is no way of anyone interfering. when asked, if i can help,. i gladly do too..........

i did ok in the single engine planes with a twisty stick.....but for the 38....definitely pedals are the way to go.

ZAP....me night job just called......i'll be later...probablyu around 11pm eastern before i can get in there.....or thursday night around 8 or 9ish............
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:39:51 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »

i watched the first 2 last night. in the first one, you flew the j very nicely.

in the 2nd one, it looked to me like you tried to use too much verticle in the g. i could be wrong, but i've always had bad luck in the g when i went up. crims, and shuffler both have repeatedly told me to fight "downhill" in the g also.

sorry i never made it to ta last night...it was close to midnight when i got home, and i kinda passed out. gonna try to be in there tonight.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:48 PM »
i watched the first 2 last night. in the first one, you flew the j very nicely.

in the 2nd one, it looked to me like you tried to use too much verticle in the g. i could be wrong, but i've always had bad luck in the g when i went up. crims, and shuffler both have repeatedly told me to fight "downhill" in the g also.

sorry i never made it to ta last night...it was close to midnight when i got home, and i kinda passed out. gonna try to be in there tonight.

I disagree wholeheartely with 'fighting downhill' in the G. The G is just as effective in the upward vertical as the J or the L.  However, due to the lack of WEP, you just to have to make sure that you have the necessary energy to pull off the vertical maneuver as you won't have WEP to let you hang on your props like you can in the J or L.  I've always recommended new flyers to the Lighting to learn how to energy fight in the G instead of the J or L.  YMMV.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »
I disagree wholeheartely with 'fighting downhill' in the G. The G is just as effective in the upward vertical as the J or the L.  However, due to the lack of WEP, you just to have to make sure that you have the necessary energy to pull off the vertical maneuver as you won't have WEP to let you hang on your props like you can in the J or L.  I've always recommended new flyers to the Lighting to learn how to energy fight in the G instead of the J or L.  YMMV.

ack-ack

might that be why they told me to fight downhill in the g then? knowing i'm new to the 38? generally, all i do in the g is to get myself into serious trouble....which is fun in a weird sort of way really.
 you'll probably only see me in the ma'a rarely for awhile, as i'm spending most of my ingame time(which is limited) in the ta, trying to learn the 38 better. i like to have fun, and 1/2 of that is making it hard for the other guy to kill me if i can't kill him. i don't think i do that yet. cobia had me in less than 2 minutes the other night, me in a j vs his a20..........jb11 in a 109f vs me 38j took less than a minute i think.......i really need to learn to manage the 38 better, and dying in the ma won't do it as well as flying till i hit the ground in the ta can.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"