Author Topic: Joy sticks and Game controlers  (Read 1453 times)

Offline 1DOM1

• Zinc Member
Joy sticks and Game controlers
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:12 AM »
I need advice on a good joystick guys. I hear CH makes very good stuff but I think you need to buy the the stick, throttle and rudder pedals to set up properly. Does anyone have experience with CH stuff? I am so used to my cheap "twisty stick" I'm almost afraid to change but mine goes out of calibration every sortie. Any advice on a good stick preferably with the throttle on the base would be of great help. Thank you. 1DOM1

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: Joy sticks and Game controlers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »
Literally (2 weeks actually  :D (its true tho)) just bought a ch combat stick. Was using a full hotas set up with x52, throttle and pedals (all saitek). Found with the ch stick that the control is a lot more precise. I'm using it with the same throttle and pedals as I was using before - wont bother changing them until they die a natural death. Will be sticking with saitek pedals as they are wider than the ch ones, and I have big feet.

I'd recommend at least a ch stick - the combat stick has a rotary dial for throttle on it. If you are looking for a full hotas, the x52 is good (but has limitations imo).

Ymmv,

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:59:14 AM »
you could get away with a ch combat stick with pedals,  it isnt a twisty but does have a throttle on the base of the stick,

the throttle is just the icing on the cake with the extra buttons and hat switches.  A good ch setup will beat anything else for accuracy and durability IMO,

Most of our squad now has CH stuff and the responses are always the same "much more control" etc etc,

I am a CH fanboi so this opinion is very biased.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:01:22 AM »
Bruv summed it up very nice, I have the full CH set too and have had it for years.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:06:17 AM »
I have the full Ch setup too. I recommend it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Marauding Conan

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 11:08:50 AM »
Always CH, only CH... Been using them for 15 years and can't imagine how I got by without CH. They are precise, customisable and very durable.

I put it to you this way, it is the last joistick you will ever buy, 15 years on, they still kicking.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
i had a X52 as my first HOTAS, just got a X45 and thought it was much better then the X52.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:11:58 AM »
I have 'more' then the full CH setup (I use the Throttle Quadrant also). Compared to any 'twisty stick' setup the CH is not only more accurate it also offers longer functional life and more importantly smoother flight inputs. Any 'twisty stick' setup will be impossible to use without unintended inputs which will result in gun dispersal on the target. In other words a CH setup will allow you to shoot straighter and hit with more concentrated bursts.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 11:15:48 AM »
Actually this belongs in Hardware forum where this topic is still active:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,258879.0.html
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
i had a X52 as my first HOTAS, just got a X45 and thought it was much better then the X52.

have you tried a CH stick at all zohan?  

I've tried both and IMO,  CH > saitek garbage.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »
I have a CH combatstick with the throttle on the base and rudder pedals, works great.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:21:24 AM »
have you tried a CH stick at all zohan?  

I've tried both and IMO,  CH > saitek garbage.

i used to own a CH joystick for my apple IIe one of the best joysticks you could get IMHO.

Offline 1DOM1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:56:03 AM »
Thank you guys for the advice, much appreciated. Looks like CH its going to be. DOM

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »
I need advice on a good joystick guys. I hear CH makes very good stuff but I think you need to buy the the stick, throttle and rudder pedals to set up properly. Does anyone have experience with CH stuff? I am so used to my cheap "twisty stick" I'm almost afraid to change but mine goes out of calibration every sortie. Any advice on a good stick preferably with the throttle on the base would be of great help. Thank you. 1DOM1
I love my CH stuff, but it is pricey. I went with the Saitek pedals though, because the CH pedals seemed a little too close together for my size 13's.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »
You can mix and match but stick with at least a CH combat stick or better.

You can find some great deals on peds, throts and CH sticks on Ebay