Author Topic: Simple Build, 100% dedicated for AHII only - Help/Input Needed  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
Hi everyone, I am new to Aces High II and haven’t been gaming a whole lot until recently.  So far, I really like this game, and see a long future of me doing my best to master it.  My problem right now is that I am playing it on my laptop for school, and I know I am missing out on a lot of eye-candy.

I am going to be putting my own system together in the next month or so, but as I have been shopping around for parts I see that there are a lot more choices than there used to be, and I don’t recognize many of the brands, so I hardly know where to begin.  I haven’t put a system together in about 10 years, and I remember how much money goes wasted when you don’t do your homework first.

I wanted to start a thread to get some input from those who are knowledgeable and experienced with gaming hardware, as well as with this game specifically.  I see that there are already hundreds of threads about hardware, and I plan on going through all of the relevant ones to get as much info as I can on my own, but in the mean time I wanted to get a thread started for my build.  I also want to try and make this thread useful to anyone else in my situation.

Basically, my objective is to be able to max out the graphics and get exceptional frame rates in AHII, and that’s pretty much it.  The system I build will probably be 100% dedicated to AHII, so anything that isn’t absolutely essential to running this game, I think I will go with cheaper/lower-end parts.  However, crucial parts like processor and graphics card, I want to get what ever is optimal for this game, without cutting any corners.  But again, I don’t want to go and spend double on a part that won’t provide a noticeable benefit in AHII.  I don’t need, and can’t afford, any type of over-kill.  I will also be using a headset, no speakers at all.  And I am about to order the TrackIR, if that means anything.

I would really appreciate it if people could post up their recommended build’s parts-lists.  If you have built a system recently tell us what you used, and how it is working out.  If I see that 90% of people recommend a certain part, then that will be a huge help for me, and anyone else too.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.  As I read though all of the previous posts in this topic, I am going to be taking down notes and getting a general idea of what I need.  Later I will post up my proposed system and ask for feedback. 

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: Simple Build, 100% dedicated for AHII only - Help/Input Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 08:07:05 AM »
Miller,
You are going to have to post what your budget is.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »
CPU -Intel E8400
MB -  EVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS (order in preference)  Socket 775
Video Card - EVGA, XFM, MSI (order in preference) 9800GTX on up ie GTX+
Power Supply - TAGAN, PC Power & Cooling, ThermalTake (order in preference) I prefer not to build under 700watts (don not skimp on PSU, most important component in a build)
Memory - OCZ  Platinum or Reaper series
Heatsink and Fan - OCZ Vendetta 2
Case - NZXT Tempest
HD - WD6401AALS

This would cost you about a 1000 build

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 08:27:29 AM »
just to give you an idea I just used the cheapest intel HP business PC (dc5800) with Core 2 Duo E8200 @2.66GHz. Then added a 500w PSU and a 9800 GT. Its pegged to 60fps but with 8x FSAA and everything maxed out it never drops, even flying through a fully porked fuel strat (the ultimate test apart from an FSO buff raid maybe). If you spend $1000 you have way overspecced for playing AH imho.

The only thing we need to know really is what size monitor (and resolution) you want to use.

PS Dragon, he doesnt want to get the best PC for a certain budget, he wants the lowest cost for a certain level of performance.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:29:28 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:12:14 AM »
Tildeath, no Sound card or OS.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:14:11 AM »
i would recommend anything intel to (if budget permits) to start with i7 -920
amd side of things a X3 or X4 AM3 chip 2.6ghz or higher

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 11:19:22 AM »
If this is gonna be just for AH I know I've heard Skuzzy say that AH is really dependent on a good CPU, so if you can spend the most money there.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »
Tildeath, no Sound card or OS.
That's a matter of preference.  I happen to like Vista, a lot don't.  There are budget builds and then there is dependable.  I like the dependable.  As for a sound card, I have been playing since Air Warrior, I have yet to need to use a soundcard.  If you build right the monies spent on a good sound card can be used for a better MB, Power Supply.  Power supplies are the least looked at component but the most system critical.  Almost every post about video card upgrade or purchase the first question asked is "what your Power supply"  "How many amps on the rails".  As Skuzzy stated in another post you want at least 25% overage for stability.  I like a higher then 25% but this would be minimum.  My buc  two-fifty input

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »
If this is 100% AH, you can lower your buget quite a bit.  A C2D processor is more than plenty for the game, especially at stock speeds.  E8400/8500 are excellent and very fast.  A 9800GT or 3850/4850 video card.  Pick your flavor of OS, with how cheap DDR2 is, why not get 4gb.  Any hard drive will do, pick a good brand and size that you need.

I'd stick with the stock Intel Heatsinks, unless you want to overclock.  But stock CPU speeds of the E8400 are overkill for the game.  Even at 1600x1200 resolutions and FSAA at 8X.

I wouldn't go for the i7 series unless you can somehow justify it.  I'm all for saving money and even with the proposed water upgrades to the game, I highly doubt it would effect the basic specs I posted.  Make sure you get a good quality PSU.  Don't speed more money than you really need.  AH is really an intense graphics game.  My 2+ year old C2D setup still runs circles around the game.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »
That's a matter of preference.  I happen to like Vista, a lot don't.  There are budget builds and then there is dependable.  I like the dependable.  As for a sound card, I have been playing since Air Warrior, I have yet to need to use a soundcard.  If you build right the monies spent on a good sound card can be used for a better MB, Power Supply.  Power supplies are the least looked at component but the most system critical.  Almost every post about video card upgrade or purchase the first question asked is "what your Power supply"  "How many amps on the rails".  As Skuzzy stated in another post you want at least 25% overage for stability.  I like a higher then 25% but this would be minimum.  My buc  two-fifty input

You know more about it than I do. My experience with an e8400 is that I had some stuttering until I went with a sound card.

Addendum: Vista is a moot point with me. Since XP is still available and Windows 7 is on the way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:45:09 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »
Intel processor.  Make sure it's a dual core with 1333 FSB.  E8400/8500 are good choices but you don't need more than about 2 Gb (unfortunatly, there are no 1333 FSB chips in that range).

EVGA 750i motherboard or the Gigabyte equivalent.  Make sure it supports PCIe x16 2.0, 1333 or higher FSB and DDR2 800 RAM minimum.

DDR2 800 SDRAM minimum (2Gb).  I use/like Kingston HyperX.  Corsair and OCZ are both good.  Look for low latency (i.e. 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15).

Nvidia 9600GT or ATI 4670 512 Mb video cards as minimums.  I prefer Evga (Nvidia)... 9800 GT would work fine.

I'd add a sound card; Creative X-Fi Gamer.

Lots of nice cases in the $50-100 range:  Cooler Master, Lian Li, Antec, Raidmax, NZXT are some of the nicer ones.

Power supply:  PC Power & Cooling.  610W minimum.

WD or Seagate SATA Hard Drive in your choice of size.

Any decently rated DVD burner.

LCD Monitor with high contrast and 2ms response rate.  Acer, LG, Samsung are all good.

[EDIT] And this will still be more than you actually need for AH.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:52:19 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »
I wouldnt quibble with anything on Tildeaths list...a very good build. Here is a "minimum build" from my perspective...

Case $38 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133046

Power Supply $99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

Motherboard $86
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131329

CPU $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056

Video Card $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150357

Memory $33 {didnt check vs MB so needs to be confirmed}
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

Hard Drive $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136033

Total $625 for your system "guts"...figure $750 with OS and a DVD drive out the door with good performance and upgradability and no bad parts...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »
Hi everyone, I am new to Aces High II and haven’t been gaming a whole lot until recently.  So far, I really like this game, and see a long future of me doing my best to master it.  My problem right now is that I am playing it on my laptop for school, and I know I am missing out on a lot of eye-candy.

this game was designed for older computers. there is not much eye candy to be had. i run at 1920 x 1080 resolution and i think that's the biggest influence in quality and immersion. have you thought about triple head 2 go?
how well does your laptop run Aces High 2?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:46:58 PM by stran »
Squash

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
Miller,
You are going to have to post what your budget is.

Sorry, I meant to mention that.  I got about $1,800 to spend total, including some of the extras I want like a nice big display (or maybe a projector, any input?), and some other accessories like a nice set of rudder pedals, maybe a new chair, and a little mini-fridge so I don't have to get up for beer  :aok

For the everything in the case, I hope to keep it around $1,000, including OS.  But I am more concerned with having the right parts, and none of the excess features that aren't absolutely essential for this purpose.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:14:27 PM by Miller »

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
PS Dragon, he doesnt want to get the best PC for a certain budget, he wants the lowest cost for a certain level of performance.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was trying to say.

I want to meet the level of performance, what ever the cost, but I have no intention on exceeding the required performance level, and neither does my wallet.