Author Topic: Requested Skin for the 457th Bomb Group  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Requested Skin for the 457th Bomb Group
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
Lately, my squad have been curious if there could be another 457th BG skin in the Aces High collection. Here are three historical skins that my squad have came up with. If there is anyone who can create one of these skins, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

The Sentimental Journey tops our list, as we would like to see this plane in Aces High more than the others. If there is anyone who could make a skin for the B17, please let me know ASAP! Thank you for your time.

:salute

1. "Sentimental Journey" -This plane is still alive today. It currently flies in many airshows and participates in great reenactments of WW2 combat. This aircraft is the only B17 from the 457th BG that is still around. Also the most historically accurate restored B17.

Check out the YouTube video of this beauty flying at an airshow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XonAS1YhKJo&feature=related

2. "Kraut Krusher" (748th Bomb Squadron) -This bomber completed several missions. On one mission to Dresden, the Kraut Krusher experienced technical problems due to heavy flak. It crash landed in France and was later salvaged.

3. "Queen Bea" (751st Bomb Squadron) -After a bomb mission from Rouen, this plane suffered damage in Engine 1 due to heavy flak. It had landed successfully, but another B17, Skunk Hollow, crashed into the Queen Bea. A great fire erupted, but not a single crew member suffered an injury.

Pictures and resources were found at the 457th BG's Association website.
http://457thbombgroup.org
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline firbal

• Nickel Member
Re: Requested Skin for the 457th Bomb Group
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:47:04 PM »
Be nice to see another skin for my old squad.
Fireball
39th Fighter Squadron "Cobras in the Clouds"

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »
Sentimental Journey is not based on a real plane. That plane name was selected by a contest held after the plane was acquired by the Confederate Air Force.

http://www.azcaf.org/pages/aircraft_bios/B-17G_FlyFort.html

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »
1. "Sentimental Journey" -This plane is still alive today. It currently flies in many airshows and participates in great reenactments of WW2 combat. This aircraft is the only B17 from the 457th BG that is still around. Also the most historically accurate restored B17.

Inaccurate statements like this make me both laugh and sad at the same time. What is being passed off as accurate history is diluting actual history. It is an injustice to the veterans, both men and their machines.
Mudf1y - Gone, but not forgotten.

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
Inaccurate statements like this make me both laugh and sad at the same time. What is being passed off as accurate history is diluting actual history. It is an injustice to the veterans, both men and their machines.

And how might the Sentimental Journey show injustice to the veterans/machines of WW2 if its soul purpose is to commemorate them? Sure, the B17 may not be 100% accurate to the past, but that doesnt mean anything. War veterans, and enthusiasts alike, enjoy watching a restored B17 zooming around at air shows. It dont matter to them whether is accurate or not... only that a historical aircraft is still flying today.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:05:37 PM by Plazus »
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »
I agree it' shouldn't be in game but to call it an injustice is laughable.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »

Jeepin, that's a really dumb comment.

Considering the pin up chosen, and the name based on a song of the time, and that the B17 holds a sentimental place in the hearts of all those vets and their family, I don't know that they could have picked better nose art.

Since that particular B17 is not a combat vet you could argue that painting it as an actual combat vet would be inaccurate history etc.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »
My problem is with the people who own the aircraft and other people that run around saying that "this aircraft is...", misleading people to believe that the aircraft they see in front of them is an actual combat aircraft. With the exception of the REAL Memphis Belle, Shoo Shoo Baby, The Swoose and maybe two other B-17s (memory is failing me right now) there are no combat B-17s left. People make posts like the one I made my reply to, claiming that Sentimental Journey was a "surviving 457th" aircraft is what disgusts me. I've also heard people claim that Colling's B-24 was THE "Dragon and it's Tail" which is a complete lie. I've spent most of my life involved in the aircraft restoration industry & it is exactly that, an industry. VERY few of the "museums" are there to preserve history. I've seen inaccuracies like B-24 top turret domes on B-17 to which the owners reply "who cares? Not like anyone is going to notice." They are there to make a profit in the long run & history takes a back seat for the most part.

Sorry for the old thread resurrection, I don't frequent this forum much anymore.
Mudf1y - Gone, but not forgotten.

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:48 PM »
Are there any requests for an Olive Drab B-17 for this unit? I have been unable to perfect my bare-metal approach so far.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 03:11:07 PM »
My problem is with the people who own the aircraft and other people that run around saying that "this aircraft is...", misleading people to believe that the aircraft they see in front of them is an actual combat aircraft. With the exception of the REAL Memphis Belle, Shoo Shoo Baby, The Swoose and maybe two other B-17s (memory is failing me right now) there are no combat B-17s left. People make posts like the one I made my reply to, claiming that Sentimental Journey was a "surviving 457th" aircraft is what disgusts me. I've also heard people claim that Colling's B-24 was THE "Dragon and it's Tail" which is a complete lie. I've spent most of my life involved in the aircraft restoration industry & it is exactly that, an industry. VERY few of the "museums" are there to preserve history. I've seen inaccuracies like B-24 top turret domes on B-17 to which the owners reply "who cares? Not like anyone is going to notice." They are there to make a profit in the long run & history takes a back seat for the most part.

Sorry for the old thread resurrection, I don't frequent this forum much anymore.

The problem is that in the overall scheme of things, most folks aren't as into the history as a few of us are.  There tend to be great debates about accuracy in restorations.  If it gets one kid to pick up a book and learn a bit more, a warbird has done it's job.  Since post WW2 the combat vet birds were only so much scrap, we're lucky we have any left and I can't be too hard on the guys who have the money to invest in and preserve the surviving examples of any WW2 warbird combat vet or not.

As for combat vet surviving 17s.  Shoo Shoo Baby, Memphis Belle, Swoose, Pink Lady (In France) Swamp Ghost (somewhere between here and New Guiniea depending on who you ask)  Possibly one held in a French museum in storage, but not confirmed as a combat bird.

So a D, E, F and G combat vets survive.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »
Are there any requests for an Olive Drab B-17 for this unit? I have been unable to perfect my bare-metal approach so far.

Yes, I listed a photo above. It is the Queen Bea. There are no color photos I have that can support my statement. I do believe that the Queen Bea is indeed an olive drab B17.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 02:19:58 AM »
Yes, I listed a photo above. It is the Queen Bea. There are no color photos I have that can support my statement. I do believe that the Queen Bea is indeed an olive drab B17.

Looking again, I agree. Has anyone said they will skin her? If not, I will do it this summer when i have some time.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »
Looking again, I agree. Has anyone said they will skin her? If not, I will do it this summer when i have some time.

Thus far, no one has claimed to draft a skin for this unit. Feel free to skin away!
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies