Author Topic: First flying lesson today  (Read 769 times)

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
First flying lesson today
« on: April 04, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
As the title says, had my first flying lesson today and it was a blast. Only down side was that I really, really don't need another expensive hobby.

As we were doing pre-flight checks, the instructor asked me if I'd flown any flight sims and I explained I'd flown most of them, but AH was my regular destination. He said they use AH a lot for explaining aerobatics and general goofing around. Got back to the office and sure enough, there were a pair of computers sitting at the arena selection page. Found that quite amusing.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
Re: First flying lesson today
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »
Cool stuff.. Bet you can't wait till you try a stall. ;) Did you get there gameIDs?
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:11:53 PM »
Had a similar experience for my first lesson (Piper Cherokee), instructor asked same question. Flying the plane was easy IMO, I liked the Piper had a forgiving stall and nice flying characteristics. Doing preflight was easy just learning what to do and look for.

The hardest thing for me was radio procedures, and that was mainly due to hearing the control tower over the radio. I have good hearing, but using the schools headset was a challenge to hear anything. So my first buy was a new headset, then no problems.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
As the title says, had my first flying lesson today and it was a blast. Only down side was that I really, really don't need another expensive hobby.

As we were doing pre-flight checks, the instructor asked me if I'd flown any flight sims and I explained I'd flown most of them, but AH was my regular destination. He said they use AH a lot for explaining aerobatics and general goofing around. Got back to the office and sure enough, there were a pair of computers sitting at the arena selection page. Found that quite amusing.

my cfi never asked me about flight sims.......

i learned in a 172. what did you fly? what did he do with you so far?

expense.......if you have the money to spend on it, don't sweat it. anything that's fun is well worth it..and expensive.

i fly real planes, r/c planes, drag race, and shoot archery. they're all expensive, but who cares. you can;'t relly put a price on a good time.

WTG dude!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:25:29 PM »
Cool stuff.. Bet you can't wait till you try a stall. ;) Did you get there gameIDs?

my first stall(cfi demoing it) scared the poop outta me. now they're fun.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »
Awesome Wooley.. I'm just 4 lessons in myself.. Hopefully going again next week but I gotta save up some cash..  :D

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »
my first stall(cfi demoing it) scared the poop outta me. now they're fun.  :aok

My first stall in my introductory flight was interesting. I was used to flying the f4u in this game and its stall characteristics are quite a bit different than a 152 (really?). As soon as we stalled I pushed forward on the yoke and caught about 1.5 negative g. Got my instructors attention real quick!

Offline Hawker25

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:08:17 PM »
thats awesome wooly congrats on the first step.  Im in CFI class myself right now.
What kind of headset ya using

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 11:28:50 PM »
Way to go Wooley!!

:salute
Flying since tour 84

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 12:27:46 AM »
Hi Guys,

Never did get their in-game id's, but my CFI did admit to being a pony-dweeb. Maybe I need to change  :D

Today was just a joyride. We were in an Eclipse which seemed pretty nice to me. They also have 152s, 172s and Citabrias. He suggested the tail dragger might be good to learn on. Its also cheaper so we'll see.

Right now things are on hold pending TSA screening (I'm not a US citizen). I'm told that should take ten days or so then we'll get back to it.

Narsus - got to agree with you. The mechanics of flying I'm sure I'll pick up pretty quick. Its everything else I think will take work - ATC procedures, met, navigation, engine management etc etc. I really struggled to to keep up with the radio communications.

All in all though, I'm in no rush here. I'm a qualified sailing instructor and I've seen what happens when people try to push themselves through certifications too quickly and without the body of experience to truly be safe.

Cheers,
Wooley

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 04:54:20 AM »
Its everything else I think will take work - ATC procedures, met, navigation, engine management etc etc. I really struggled to to keep up with the radio communications.

I normally fly out of a middle-of-nowhere airfield, with nothing but the most in-formal unicom you have ever heard, so I actually have to practice before I go through Class B to another island. Honestly, it's stressful at first, but just do it. Make sure you announce you're a student pilot (They may well be more understanding) and just do it repeatedly. Half the time out here we cannot understand what in god's name they are asking us for, but you get used to being asked the same thing over and over again, and before you know it, even if they're broken, you can transmit your info and be spot on. Just remember: ALWAYS readback hold-shorts!

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 07:16:34 AM »
the first stall?
Wait for your first induced spin. Now that's gnarly.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »
my present from the g/f this year was to spend 30 minutes in an acrobatic plane.  I've done a few lessons in cessnas and found myself bored. 

No fun if you cant do a loop or shoot at stuff right!

I cant wait to stall it out to see what it feels like for real.  I'll have to buy the film of the experience.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 01:37:24 PM »
the first stall?
Wait for your first induced spin. Now that's gnarly.

they don['t do that anymore
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 02:05:25 PM »
I normally fly out of a middle-of-nowhere airfield, with nothing but the most in-formal unicom you have ever heard...

I'm training with a school at John Wayne Airport, Orange County CA. There's a steady stream of commercial flights in and out, plus its only 40 miles south of LAX, 25 miles south of Long Beach.

I did consider training somewhere quieter, but the argument goes that if you can do it here, you can do it anywhere