Author Topic: E8400 OC Does it again 4.4GHz | 1956 FSB on AIR!  (Read 1491 times)

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Re: E8400 OC Does it again 4.4GHz | 1956 FSB on AIR!
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »
Out of tradition, I normally play my "Apollo 13" DVD when building up a system from scratch. Something about the heroic way the astronauts worked their problems always inspires me when building a PC from parts.

Anyway, it takes me a good hour or two to just get the hardware installed the way that would make me proud to show someone. The only job that takes 10 minutes is installing a hard drive and routing its cables in a way I like...

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 08:33:25 PM »
Yep, I take about 3 hours to build a PC before it is ready to power-up.  Heck, takes me about 3 minutes to get the thermal paste applied so I can mount the HSF on the CPU, as I am very careful about getting a precise layer of it spread across the face of the CPU. 

Skuzzy,

Hardocp did a test of a few different thermal pastes, and results aside, they mentioned a very nifty product that helps with thermal paste installation.  Basically it's a piece of moderately thick plastic tape with a square hole cut out of the middle.  The tape is the kind where if the surface is clean to begin with, you can remove it without leaving residue and the tape can be re-used a few times, and the thickness of the tape plastic is exactly the typical recommended thickness of a layer of thermal paste.

So what you do is put the tape down on the HSF with the hole centered on where the cpu will contact the HSF, then put some thermal goop on the hsf in the hole.  Then you take a very straight scraper and scrape across the plastic tape.  This leaves a layer of thermal goop the exact thickness of the tape on the HSF.  You then pull off the tape, and you have a perfect square of perfectly applied thermal goop on your HSF.

Very neat product/accessory.  I can't remember what brand of goop it comes with but it's so neat it might be worth buying that kind of goop just to get the tape, if you can't find the right kind of tape yourself.  The thickness of the tape determines the thickness of the goop layer so you could even make your own out of different tape thicknesses, to use with different types of thermal goop that might behave better with different application layer thickness.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2009, 11:31:47 PM »
Skuzzy,

Hardocp did a test of a few different thermal pastes, and results aside, they mentioned a very nifty product that helps with thermal paste installation.  Basically it's a piece of moderately thick plastic tape with a square hole cut out of the middle.  The tape is the kind where if the surface is clean to begin with, you can remove it without leaving residue and the tape can be re-used a few times, and the thickness of the tape plastic is exactly the typical recommended thickness of a layer of thermal paste.

So what you do is put the tape down on the HSF with the hole centered on where the cpu will contact the HSF, then put some thermal goop on the hsf in the hole.  Then you take a very straight scraper and scrape across the plastic tape.  This leaves a layer of thermal goop the exact thickness of the tape on the HSF.  You then pull off the tape, and you have a perfect square of perfectly applied thermal goop on your HSF.

Very neat product/accessory.  I can't remember what brand of goop it comes with but it's so neat it might be worth buying that kind of goop just to get the tape, if you can't find the right kind of tape yourself.  The thickness of the tape determines the thickness of the goop layer so you could even make your own out of different tape thicknesses, to use with different types of thermal goop that might behave better with different application layer thickness.
+1 in Theory

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 12:35:41 AM »
Tilldeath I have a question as you seem the most knowledgeable when it comes to OC'ing , I have my E5200 OC to 3.0 Ghz and under load it runs around 59C, at rest it's around 39-40C, is this too high, should I back off the OC a bit?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 02:21:07 AM »
Tilldeath I have a question as you seem the most knowledgeable when it comes to OC'ing , I have my E5200 OC to 3.0 Ghz and under load it runs around 59C, at rest it's around 39-40C, is this too high, should I back off the OC a bit?
the AT REST is an acceptable temp... what HSF are you using?

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 02:28:25 AM »
the AT REST is an acceptable temp... what HSF are you using?
For now just the stock one, I do want to upgrade to the OCZ Vendetta heatsink.

I've got good airflow in my case, I have the Apevia X-Cruiser, but still need to install the 2 80mm front fans.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:30:20 AM by trax1 »
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2009, 02:44:34 AM »
For now just the stock one, I do want to upgrade to the OCZ Vendetta heatsink.

I've got good airflow in my case, I have the Apevia X-Cruiser, but still need to install the 2 80mm front fans.
Fresh air is good... get with me when your ready for the Vendetta 2

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 02:47:30 AM »
Fresh air is good... get with me when your ready for the Vendetta 2
Will do. :aok

Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about that heatsink.