Re: tiger
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 05:21:58 AM »
It's a small world after all  :)

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 02:28:03 PM »
What makes you say that?

Why because driving a T-34/76 onto a enemy field or town with all the field ack shooting at you doesn't kill you or your turret as quickly as a lone M8 shooting 1 37mm round at a time at a T-34/85. No way 5 hits from a 37mm should be able to do that. That's why .

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 02:34:53 PM »
Optics that reflect historical disparity could make the tiger worth its current price.

:lol have you ever seen what the optics or rather what a German gunner would have seen through the typical  German gunsight? It is quite intimadating to say the least. It's much different then what we see in this game and has many more gun solution configurations to view that would only confuse 98% of the folks that GV.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 02:42:25 PM »
German Tiger gunners could land the first shot near the target, with no need to bracket as widely like most players do.
It's much different then what we see in this game and has many more gun solution configurations to view that would only confuse 98% of the folks that GV.
Have you ever seen what a newbie flies like in his first day of AH?  Or a year later once he's learned the ropes? 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:46:44 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 02:52:15 PM »

Why because driving a T-34/76 onto a enemy field or town with all the field ack shooting at you doesn't kill you or your turret as quickly as a lone M8 shooting 1 37mm round at a time at a T-34/85. No way 5 hits from a 37mm should be able to do that. That's why .

AT shells vs AA shells?
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 08:12:17 PM »

While northern and eastern flanks had been heavily engaged, the northeastern section had been rather quiet. The only excitement there had been was when an M8 armored car from "E" Troop destroyed a Tiger tank. The armored car had been in a concealed position at right angles to run along a trail in front of the MLR. As the tank passed the armored car, the M8 slipped out of position and started up the trail behind the Tiger, accelerating in an attempt to close. At the same moment the German tank commander saw the M8, and started traversing his gun to bear on the armored car. It was a race between the Americans who were attempting to close so that their puny 37-mm would be effective in the Tiger’s "Achilles heel" (its thin rear armor), and the Germans who were desperately striving to bring their "88" to bear … Suddenly, the M8 had closed to 25 yards, and quickly pumped in 3 rounds… the lumbering Tiger stopped, shuddered; there was a muffled explosion, followed by flames which bellowed out of the turret and engine ports, after which the armored car returned to its position.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »

You do realize that enemy field and town ack is firing HE, not AP, right?

And what Lye-El said -- saved me from looking it up.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »
While northern and eastern flanks had been heavily engaged, the northeastern section had been rather quiet. The only excitement there had been was when an M8 armored car from "E" Troop destroyed a Tiger tank. The armored car had been in a concealed position at right angles to run along a trail in front of the MLR. As the tank passed the armored car, the M8 slipped out of position and started up the trail behind the Tiger, accelerating in an attempt to close. At the same moment the German tank commander saw the M8, and started traversing his gun to bear on the armored car. It was a race between the Americans who were attempting to close so that their puny 37-mm would be effective in the Tiger’s "Achilles heel" (its thin rear armor), and the Germans who were desperately striving to bring their "88" to bear … Suddenly, the M8 had closed to 25 yards, and quickly pumped in 3 rounds… the lumbering Tiger stopped, shuddered; there was a muffled explosion, followed by flames which bellowed out of the turret and engine ports, after which the armored car returned to its position.

lol that is pure propaganda. Maybe the Tiger had it's engine disabled at best but no amount of 37MM ap  could or ever did penetrated a Tiger's hull or turret. Also for the other comment about T-34's and ack compared to a M8 firing ap 37mm. I think 5 37mm acks hitting a tank at the same time would do more damage then 3 ap rounds from a M8. People need to read a few books rather then fictitious stories about M8's killing Tiger tanks.

As you can see by the chart below the Tigers rear hull was not "thinly armored" as you state

Armor  Nominal Thickness  Brinell Hardness No. 
Turret Roof  25 mm  290 
Hull Roof  25 mm  335 
Glacis  60 mm  265 
Hull Sides  60 mm  265 
Turret Sides  80 mm  255 
Superstructure  80 mm  260-255 
Hull Rear  80 mm  255 
Driver's Front Plate  100 mm  265 
Hull Front  100 mm  265 
Mantlet  100-200 mm  280 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:01:32 PM by BigPlay »

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »
German Tiger gunners could land the first shot near the target, with no need to bracket as widely like most players do.Have you ever seen what a newbie flies like in his first day of AH?  Or a year later once he's learned the ropes? 

That comparing apples with oranges. We don't have the German gunsight in this game so your below statement has no bearing here. German superior optics have no influence in AH .Do we need a realistic gunsight in here for tanks? We don't have realistic K-14 or Revi computing gunsights in our planes, if we did the learning curve would be even more then it already is

(your quote)
Optics that reflect historical disparity could make the tiger worth its current price.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 12:10:01 PM »
I'm saying those optics are what we need.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »
Well, for those who have been playing for a few years maybe , but think about how much  200 channel chatter that would come about from having it, for petes sake people won't and can't read simple instructions . How many questions in the text buffer would we see about how th3 sight works, I can see it now ..... what are all those line sa and what do they mean, heck people ask how to start the engine on a gv or how how do I fly. Then when you answer that question 400 more follow  :furious,. Maybe a download like skinns for the ones that want to use it but to make it a default sight only would cause all of us to be driven crazy.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »

lol that is pure propaganda. Maybe the Tiger had it's engine disabled at best but no amount of 37MM ap  could or ever did penetrated a Tiger's hull or turret.

Hmmm.....

This action was reported to Major Donald P Boyer Jr. S3, 38th Armored Infantry Battalion, by Captain W.H. Anstey (Commanding Company A, 38th Armored Infantry Battalion) who witnessed the engagement.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »
Well, for those who have been playing for a few years maybe , but think about how much  200 channel chatter that would come about from having it, for petes sake people won't and can't read simple instructions . How many questions in the text buffer would we see about how th3 sight works, I can see it now ..... what are all those line sa and what do they mean, heck people ask how to start the engine on a gv or how how do I fly. Then when you answer that question 400 more follow  :furious,. Maybe a download like skinns for the ones that want to use it but to make it a default sight only would cause all of us to be driven crazy.
No.. That's no good reason not to have them.  Tough luck for anyone who comes to a sim game and refuses to climb the learning curve.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 07:36:23 PM »

lol that is pure propaganda. Maybe the Tiger had it's engine disabled at best but no amount of 37MM ap  could or ever did penetrated a Tiger's hull or turret. Also for the other comment about T-34's and ack compared to a M8 firing ap 37mm. I think 5 37mm acks hitting a tank at the same time would do more damage then 3 ap rounds from a M8. People need to read a few books rather then fictitious stories about M8's killing Tiger tanks.
Geez o Pete --

So if I throw 5 spitballs at you and they all hit you, this is more devistating to your body than a single bullet from a .22?

Methinks you are one who needs to go read a book.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."