Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 24960 times)

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
Defining bad game-play
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »
Fugitive posted this in another thread,and I am needing some defintions to some of these words in how they are used in this game..I have seen them used by many,so if someone can kindly "DEFINE" these words.in this in-game setting for me,then maybe we will be able to have a dialouge,as ALL will understand the meanings of the words in this setting..

And,respectfully Fugitive,I am only using your quote,as it is the most recent one,and it is time for some defining from the community at large. :salute

QUOTE BY FUGITIVE: I don't think its that big a stretch. Over all game play has gone down hill. Everyone these days is looking for the quickest easiest way to do anything in the game. Mediocre players make mediocre game play and count on the horde to survive long enough to get the "job" done. Its too much trouble and hard work to learn to play the game well, so most settle for average, or less.END QUOTE

I would like to know just what is meant by MEDIOCRE gameplayers,,Can this even be qualified in this setting of in-game battling???Is one only mediocre if they fly in a horde,and if so, at what number does a group flying together no longer equal QUALITY players,and become a HORDE of medicore players???

Do mediocre players get shot down more than others??Are mediocre players those guys who cherry pick,who HO,or are they only mediocre if they are in a horde,and again what defines a HORDE????...5,10,12,15,20,45,62,players..

Now onto the word AVERAGE...Define the AVERAGE player for me please,is it someone who only gets shot down 50% of the time???75% of the time??? Is someone  considered average after they have gotten their name in lights on the front of the website???Or are THEY considered mediocre,or are they considered what we in AH should ALL ATTAIN to accomplish???Get our name in lights..

You see we all have our OWN definitions IN_GAME of what these words mean,outside of the regular definitions of everyday life..

What is a QUALITY player??again,the guy who gets his name in lights on the front page??I can hear you laughing at that statement..SO what makes a quality player??

GAME-PLAY going down-hill,who here is QUALIFIED to say that it is going downhill??

If one wants to have PURE flying  air to air to air combat,then get your buddies and go into the DA or the TA,and fly PURE FLIGHT SA to your hearts content,but you dont do that,WHY??? I think it is because you would get very BORED of it quickly,and after awhile it would not be fun,and besides,then you couldnt come onto the BB's and whine and complain about how others are playing the game,and about how it is going downhill..

SO who is QUALIFIED TO give defintions?? my bet is that it will vary due to the fact that many desire different things out of the game,and it all comes down to ONES OWN PERCEPTION....so then it becomes a MOOT point really,doesnt it??

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »

If you are one of those red dots, (not YOU, in particular) you are contributing to poor gameplay---surround yourself with a horde, roll over those who didn't think to bring their own personal 'Atilla-the Hun' horde, land kills, NEVER face a risk of getting shot down, then think you have done something, and start to believe from the results you are actually a talented individual, and THIS is how the game must be played to be successful :furious
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »
 You dont have to be qualified in anything more than breathing to see game play has gone way downhill. Sure the glorious and wonderful reset is the be all end all goal of the game and we all know this < :rock>   so the head on gang hord 50 man noe missions were born to facilitate that end.Nothing screams bad game play like the quake mentality kill at all costs.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:58:03 AM »
''''What is a QUALITY player??again,the guy who gets his name in lights on the front page??I can hear you laughing at that statement..SO what makes a quality player??'''''
 Most of the players here know who the quality players are and heres a clue.....They dont score high on the front page if at all.Score is NO indication of skill.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
what defines a HORDE????...5,10,12,15,20,45,62,players..

Has nothing to do with how many players, it has to do with the ratios.  If it's 20 on 20 but there are actual dogfights going on, then it's just a good fight.  However if it's 20 on 4, it's clearly a massive horde.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 11:01:01 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
If you are one of those red dots, (not YOU, in particular) you are contributing to poor gameplay---surround yourself with a horde, roll over those who didn't think to bring their own personal 'Atilla-the Hun' horde, land kills, NEVER face a risk of getting shot down, then think you have done something, and start to believe from the results you are actually a talented individual, and THIS is how the game must be played to be successful :furious

Isnt what makes one successful in this game,who at the end of the month,thinks he got his $15 worth of fun out of it??

I myself am doing more AvA combat,and not running missions as much,but if I get an inkling I put up missions,and as many who want to join can..And when I get bored of that I may Gv,or go back to AvA..Again it is all about PERSPECTIVE....

And what would of made this particular attack,Good for gameplay???how many people is the cut-off??I have seen bases defended with as many people hitting it as you are showing in the pic,and it was still saved,not often,but have seen it happen..Was that an NOE?? it does not look to me like it could of been NOE,and if it wasnt,,you guys saw the dar,although you may not of expected as many as were in the mission,I bet the people who are in the mission expected to see as many from you guys on the ground when they got there..

Judging from where that Vbase sits,that is a VERY important piece of property to own,spawns into 3 fields,who wouldnt of thought that the ones who own that base wouldnt of fought tooth and nail for it???

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
Let me chip in my perspective

I was gone from game for 2.5 years. Reason? Technical issues and lost a bit of interest in the game.

Before I left I felt that the game play experience had gone down hill. Partially due to too much hoard vs hoard furballs and to much base take on undefended fields. I also felt that player skill had gone down and that there where soo many dweebs that just ran HO runs on the deck and couldnt perform a ACM  to save their lifes.

Im back and let me say this. The game has NOT deteriorated in the last 2.5 years.

Has it gotten better? Maybe a little bit. I do find it a bit easier to find the smaller fights I like but its not a huge difference. Is player skill higher? Well mine is a bit lower so relativly speaking to my self Id say yes, but on avg I dont think so.

Has it gotten worse? Nope I cant say it has. Often when one comes back to a game after a long time one has forgotten the bad and made a plesant memory about the game which is false due to one always forgetting bad stuff much easier. Due to this the "omg this sucks" reaction almost always comes when one comes back to something after a few years. But its not like that with AH2. Its definatly not worse then I remember it.

Why do so may people experience "the game is getting worse"?

Well one reason is that they get better and better as pilots while avg Joe is still avg Joe. so when one wins more fights and the challenge goes down one experiences the opponents as worse while its actually just them selfs getting better. Less challenge leads to boredom for competitive people.

Another reason is that things that arnt evolving are deteriorating. Stagnation is regression. As I said above its neither gotten better nor worse in 2.5 years and biggest reason to this is that it hasnt changed.

In 2.5 years P39s, B26s and some GVs have been added. A terrain update has been made with changes to ack. Gameplay mechanics are exactly the same. Arena setups are exactly the same and maps are the same as well.

The biggest change in online play is the changes to the ack.

Honestly WOW what a evolution.

Biggest change overall is the offline missions but honestly that cant count since this is a mmo.

This said Im glad to be back flying and Ive missed it. But HTC really needs to evolve the game more because stagnation is the only sure way to destroy a product over time. I guess they have recognized this and that its partially due to the CT debacle.

Tex

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 11:04:59 AM »
Has nothing to do with how many players, it has to do with the ratios.  If it's 20 on 20 but there are actual dogfights going on, then it's just a good fight.  However if it's 20 on 4, it's clearly a massive horde.

Well,as I posted above about the Vbase take..Whos fault is it in that case?? was it the MISSION planners fault for planning on good defense,or was it the defending countrys fault for not being aware of the possibility of another side wanting that base at all costs??

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
 People that are way to afraid to push the limits because they are afraid to lose that cartoon life are a big cause to bad gameplay.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 11:17:41 AM »
People that are way to afraid to push the limits because they are afraid to lose that cartoon life are a big cause to bad gameplay.

Define please.."PUSH THE LIMITS"...

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 11:22:35 AM »
 Ok these type of flyer will never risk anything.They would rather run away then take a chance on ACM trying to get a fireing solution.The nothing ventured nothing gained effect. Every fight can be a learning experience if you are willing to lay it all on the line and fight to the death.
  Sadly alot are to skeered to be shot down for some reason. I would bet alot of them run to the score page to see if their score is higher than someones and think they are "better" at the game.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
yeah, leave my cartoon plane alone, and stop shooting at me.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 11:27:01 AM »
Well,as I posted above about the Vbase take..Whos fault is it in that case?? was it the MISSION planners fault for planning on good defense,or was it the defending countrys fault for not being aware of the possibility of another side wanting that base at all costs??
The mission planners planned on whording an empty base, and thats what they found--3-4 flaks might have upped, but they would have fallen under the onslaught. Only a dedicated large squad of like-minded whordlings sitting in the tower, dutifully watching country-dar, could have prevented said onslaught. Coordinated response in the space of 2-3 minutes from various chess-piece members simply isn't likely. Were I a mission planner, and had that many guys at my beckon-call, I would have picked a base that actually had PEOPLE, no reason to roll an empty one, unless ya just don't want fights, period
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 11:27:12 AM »

look at that screen again.. the vh's are already dead! and the main horde wasnt even there yet!

yea right they were lookin for a good defense..  :rolleyes:

i think the fact that huge groups of ppl want a BASE at all costs is strange...

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
I can understand your views that this can be very subjective, so I will just throw out my $.02

Good player: One that has great experience in this game and can be put in almost any situation and come out victorious because of his knowledge of not only what he is flying, but he/she understands the dynamics of what that other person is flying. One must note that in order to achieve this status, that its a very slow and rigorous process and doesn't happen overnight. ( People don't become guitar legends in 2 months or even 2 years of playing). The only way to learn is to learn through making mistakes and learning how NOT to make them the next time.

Poor player: Player that wants to get to point A --->Point B under any cost. They are people that want to achieve instant gratification no matter what it is. They will HO you, Ram you, Gang you, suicide their cartoon ride at any cost to achieve some sort of victory. They are generally the people that are too proud or too lazy to make the mistakes and learn from them. (As Fugitive was trying to state).

These guys that are notorious for hopping the map going NOE with a horde (Horde example: if you fight more green guys for targets than red guys, your in a horde) are usually met with negativity in here because 99% of everyone in here have been there, done that. Pure and simple, base hoping NOE style and you are relying more on luck than skill. ( you know where the town is, you know the only thing that is gonna fight back is the auto ack and its the same routine...over and over and over).
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz