Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 24914 times)

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2009, 06:35:42 AM »
I think it's clear now. We need the H2H back :)

Offline lazydog

• Copper Member
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2009, 07:25:23 AM »
G..... a good post the knits should read in midwar a lot of that weak minded play there too

Offline thndregg

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2009, 07:37:23 AM »
So basically what your saying is that in side this little "world/community" that HTC has made there are people with a certain amount of "honor" and that you prefer to hang out those that you like.

Fugitive I read this sentence several times to make sure I understood what I was reading.  Sure I want to hang with the people I like.  I sure don't want to hang with the people I dislike.  I'm not sure what your intended meaning is. As for "honor" even this community can not come up with a real definition of what honor is in this specific game.  The community itself (or at least the forum community) is split in its definition of this simple word, so as I see it honor in this community is ones owns perspective.

Do you guys run around doing the "lame" things that most people consider poor game play?

This is an assumed statement.  What is considered "most people" when it concerns lame game play.  We have players that are vocal in the forums, but I doubt they could be considered "most players" since I believe I read in the forums here somewhere, and I could be corrected on this, that only a small percentage of players in Aces High are registered in the forums.  It goes back to the endless cycle as to what is considered lame game play.  What is lame to me may not be lame to you.

Just some opinions at 2:00 am in the morning.   :salute

Fred

I like your choice of a sig, sir. :aok
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2009, 07:50:04 AM »
So basically what your saying is that in side this little "world/community" that HTC has made there are people with a certain amount of "honor" and that you prefer to hang out those that you like.

Fugitive I read this sentence several times to make sure I understood what I was reading.  Sure I want to hang with the people I like.  I sure don't want to hang with the people I dislike.  I'm not sure what your intended meaning is. As for "honor" even this community can not come up with a real definition of what honor is in this specific game.  The community itself (or at least the forum community) is split in its definition of this simple word, so as I see it honor in this community is ones owns perspective.

Lets word it like this, and I mean the same thing.... Would you hang out with people who dive bomb CV in Lancs? Would you hang out with people who would rather have 20+ guys in an NOE mission because they don't have the skill or confidence to fight for a base? Would you hang around people who would have no problems jumping in on a fight were 5 guys are already chasing one? 

Do you guys run around doing the "lame" things that most people consider poor game play?

This is an assumed statement.  What is considered "most people" when it concerns lame game play.  We have players that are vocal in the forums, but I doubt they could be considered "most players" since I believe I read in the forums here somewhere, and I could be corrected on this, that only a small percentage of players in Aces High are registered in the forums.  It goes back to the endless cycle as to what is considered lame game play.  What is lame to me may not be lame to you.

Just some opinions at 2:00 am in the morning.   :salute

Fred

Yes it would have to be an assumed statement because a poll has never "officially" been taken. However I do base my assumption not only on the vocal minority we have here on the boards, but also what I've heard in the game. With the thousands of hours I have played this game over many years, I'm sure I could put together a pretty accurate list of what the majority of players would consider "lame" and by extension, poor game play.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2009, 08:27:57 AM »
Lets word it like this, and I mean the same thing.... Would you hang out with people who dive bomb CV in Lancs? Would you hang out with people who would rather have 20+ guys in an NOE mission because they don't have the skill or confidence to fight for a base? Would you hang around people who would have no problems jumping in on a fight were 5 guys are already chasing one? 

I do not pick the people I hang out with by their skill in the game.  I choose to "hang out" with them because they are people I have come to like being around, regardless of their skill.

Yes it would have to be an assumed statement because a poll has never "officially" been taken. However I do base my assumption not only on the vocal minority we have here on the boards, but also what I've heard in the game. With the thousands of hours I have played this game over many years, I'm sure I could put together a pretty accurate list of what the majority of players would consider "lame" and by extension, poor game play.

Having played thousands of hours over 2 years, I have seen a number of the vocal minority you are referring to, including prominent names in the game, do the very things you mention above.  Time after time I have seen one speak against one or another aspect of game play in this forum, and then in the following days, I observe these same players do what they so strongly preach against.  Sort of a two face approach.  It's hard to give creditability to these players when these actions are witnessed.  If I am seeing it, then I know others are seeing it to.

As for putting together an accurate list of so called player who would consider some of the game play you state is "lame".  I'm fairly sure I can film many of the players you list pulling off some of these "lame" acts.

Fugitive I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you, and in many ways, believe it or not, I agree with you.  The problem is I see such a two faced approach to game play by known players that its difficult for me to lend a lot of creditability to what they say, when in the end, I see them doing the very thing they are preaching against.

:salute

Fred

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:33:32 AM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:55 AM »
I like your choice of a sig, sir. :aok

Thanks, my sig is mainly for Bronk, just like poking a bit of fun at him.   :D  Of course it's unaltered, and the link will take you to the actual thread.

It's getting about time to change it anyway.

Fred
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:32:25 AM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »
This thread made 7 pages so far?   I stopped reading at page 2.  Play the game how you want, it's that simple.  

However, Fugi is right about one thing.   The Community is no longer what it used to be.   When AH2 came online after Beta, is the exact time frame of the "fracture" in game play.  

Nevermind me, I know nothing, so continue pissing in each others Corn Flakes.  

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2009, 08:39:30 AM »
This thread made 7 pages so far?   I stopped reading at page 2.  Play the game how you want, it's that simple.  

However, Fugi is right about one thing.   The Community is no longer what it used to be.   When AH2 came online after Beta, is the exact time frame of the "fracture" in game play.  

Nevermind me, I know nothing, so continue pissing in each others Corn Flakes.  

How correct you are.  Is anything like it used to be?

By the way, I don't eat Corn Flakes, sort of partial to eggs and bacon myself.

Fred

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
How correct you are.  Is anything like it used to be?

By the way, I don't eat Corn Flakes, sort of partial to eggs and bacon myself.

Fred

Or piss in each others eggs and bacon. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »
I do not pick the people I hang out with by their skill in the game.  I choose to "hang out" with them because they are people I have come to like being around, regardless of their skill.

Having played thousands of hours over 2 years, I have seen a number of the vocal minority you are referring to, including prominent names in the game, do the very things you mention above.  Time after time I have seen one speak against one or another aspect of game play in this forum, and then in the following days, I observe these same players do what they so strongly preach against.  Sort of a two face approach.  It's hard to give creditability to these players when these actions are witnessed.  If I am seeing it, then I know others are seeing it to.

As for putting together an accurate list of so called player who would consider some of the game play you state is "lame".  I'm fairly sure I can film many of the players you list pulling off some of these "lame" acts.

Fugitive I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you, and in many ways, believe it or not, I agree with you.  The problem is I see such a two faced approach to game play by known players that its difficult for me to lend a lot of creditability to what they say, when in the end, I see them doing the very thing they are preaching against.

:salute

Fred

I'm not talking about players that are lame, I'm talking about lame game play. This is the line you missed or miss understood...

I'm sure I could put together a pretty accurate list of what the majority of players would consider "lame" and by extension, poor game play.

I'm saying that the majority of the players in the game would consider...

• HOs lame
  • dive bombing lancs lame or any heavy bomber
  • running NOEs with 12 110s, 4 goons, and a half dozen or so NIKs lame
  • spawn camping lame
  • being the 6th guy in on a single bad guy lame
  • suicide dive bombers lame
  • bringing a CV close enough to dry spawn lame
  • hiding captured CVs lame

and so on and so on.

If my squad mate started making these thing "general practice" I'd be preaching to them about not doing it too. If they didn't stop, I won't be in the squad. How can you have fun when the people you are flying with are doing such lame crap? I couldn't so I'd leave.

Those that look at the above list and really don't see anything wrong with doing those things are either not being honest with themselves, or just don't know any better. Thats the way they learned the game so thats the way they play it. As more people learn "that way", the more game play will go down hill.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:09:33 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline Haplo81

• Zinc Member
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:16 AM »
People that are way to afraid to push the limits because they are afraid to lose that cartoon life are a big cause to bad gameplay.

It may be because some people don't like the real aspect of the distance to fly from one base to another which, may include spending 15 minutes flying a couple sectors to a fight or base and then getting shot down within 20 seconds once they arrive.  Some who are more interested in instant action games may have a hard time enjoying the climb to alt, having some SA, and then going into an ACM.  They may feel they have done all this work before getting to the fight and don't want it to be over so fast.  Just a neutral thought.
**Jokers Jokers ** CO Second Wing

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »
It may be because some people don't like the real aspect of the distance to fly from one base to another which, may include spending 15 minutes flying a couple sectors to a fight or base and then getting shot down within 20 seconds once they arrive.  Some who are more interested in instant action games may have a hard time enjoying the climb to alt, having some SA, and then going into an ACM.  They may feel they have done all this work before getting to the fight and don't want it to be over so fast.  Just a neutral thought.

Very insightful, and in my opinion much closer to the mark.   :aok

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »
The only thing a list of lame play really does is demonstrate that person's definition. I can not agree with some and would add others. Then the next poster will disagree with mine and add their own. As just an average player of mediocre to no skill level, and someone who rarely flies anything other than the special events anymore due to how dissatisfying flying the MAs has become for me personally, I offer these comments solely to show the disparity of our average ideas:

* HOs lame - I agree, however, it is obviously acceptable because I can guarantee that I have been HOed by every person on these boards who has complained about it or has been singled out as a good stick, and I get HOed (or Low Angle Off Front Quartered if that makes you feel better about yourself) on merge 1-100 over 98% of the time. Being such a poor pilot, I do not understand why people don't even try to get on my six, it is not very hard to do. I am usually the guy in the A5 getting into accelerated stalls.  :noid

* dive bombing lancs lame or any heavy bomber - concur

* running NOEs with 12 110s, 4 goons, and a half dozen or so NIKs lame - do not see this much myself, usually only see the 40 LA7s, Spit 16s and Corsairs trying to vulch. I do not join missions, but I am OK with overwhelming numbers, seems the right way to do it to me if you really want the base. That said, I really care less for base taking, so hopefully do not add to or take away from all the horde discussions.

* spawn camping lame - do not really understand this one, it is usually done to prevent/defend against an attack, easily countered, OK in my opinion. But, when you get bombed while camping, don't complain about that either.

* being the 6th guy in on a single bad guy lame - yes, though if you have been there fighting, you usually are not paying attention or feel you have a right to the guy for whatever reason. If you are dropping alt to join, I heartily agree.

* suicide dive bombers lame - honestly, I think many of these are pilot error, I know I am guilty of getting compressed from target fixation.

* bringing a CV close enough to dry spawn lame - sorry, not sure what this is (see below).

* hiding captured CVs lame - sorry, don't give a hoot about winning the war so rarely have anything to do with a CV so care less. Besides, can't up an A5 from a CV.

I add: Shooting chutes that are not actively involved or loitering - I do sometimes like to watch the fight on the way down and if I don't shoot at you, you have no reason to shoot at me, especially when there is a furball going on. If I loiter on the field or walk around, go ahead and shoot. It turns my stomach reading all the posts who find it sporting whether this is just a game or not (Don't worry, play how you like, just don't expect me to have any respect for you).

Leaving a furball to chase one wounded AC two or three sectors to get them when they try to land their broken AC. Stay with the furball, is it really that important if one gets home? Or are you that lame that you need to vulch rather than fight?

Any Dump and Jump from any aircraft, boat, or ground vehicle under any circumstance.

And my number one complaint is the lack of civility - see 100 other threads over this. I am resigned that some people lack the means of controlling themselves. I have been guilty on one occasion last year, but it is still no excuse on my part. While I apologized to this person who took it well, I still find my actions repulsive.

These are not directed at any person specifically, just providing an average players point of view. Charlie Mike.  :salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
How can you have fun when the people you are flying with are doing such lame crap? I couldn't so I'd leave.
That's really lame  :aok
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »
The only thing a list of lame play really does is demonstrate that person's definition. I can not agree with some and would add others. Then the next poster will disagree with mine and add their own. As just an average player of mediocre to no skill level, and someone who rarely flies anything other than the special events anymore due to how dissatisfying flying the MAs has become for me personally, I offer these comments solely to show the disparity of our average ideas:

* HOs lame - I agree, however, it is obviously acceptable because I can guarantee that I have been HOed by every person on these boards who has complained about it or has been singled out as a good stick,

No you can't.  You can't recall being Ho'd by me and you sure don't have film to back it up
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve