Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 25409 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2009, 06:11:14 PM »
There is NO WAY everyone can have "fun" (to each his/her own definition) all the time in a game as dynamic as this one is.

Of course there isn't...and that is really the point. When overall game play seeks new depths of lameness....the group of people that are disenfranchised by that lameness begins to grow. Perhaps it is a "different game". That does not mean it has to (or should) stay that way.

In point of fact, the creator of the game has dealt with this issue numerous times. Each time, the weak sisters of the game find new ways to do what they do with out risking failure. What we get when this happens are things like the perk point mod and the ENY mod. If the community refuses to deal with the issue themselves, we will get more of the same.  :frown:

Quote from: falcon23
I opened this thread and have come to the conclusion that good or bad gameplay is relative to the one playing and paying...I did care,until everyone started trying to ram down my throat how my missions are bad for gameplay..I did not define what the posters were saying was bad gameplay or good gameplay..

....and this goes right to the crux of the issue. Good game play is what is good for the majority of the players, not just you. You complain about folks here trying to "ram" their ideas down your throat....well perhaps, like you, they dont "run" their ideas to fail. While others around you are trying to find ways to make the game better for everyone, you continue with your myopic "by any means" 'tude.  :frown:

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2009, 06:45:19 PM »
Let me use a term that is blasphamy in the NOE base takers vocabulary: SPY. We all know they are lame and get called out by 99% of the community.
If I had that same attitude of " by all means and by all force" to get my gratification in this game, well my type of fun would be to bust up any NOE attack..I mean why not, you have 20+ low targets. Why not have someone on the other side just calling out your missions?. It is under the parameters of the game right? Meaning that anyone can access that information and give it off if they really wanted to.

Why dont we all do that then?..because its lame and its gamey. Even playing with the tools that HTech gives to us, there is some sort of honor code that we all go by and some that dont go by that get called out. You cant have a perfect game, there will always be someone that exploits some aspects of it.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2009, 06:54:58 PM »
  Good game-play for me and my squad is whatever is needed to help out Bishop...That means porking,bombing,strategizing,taking bases,and helping others to do as much.It is not about ME,it is about how can we help the bishop to accomplish whatever is needed at the time to get an objective accomplished,As well as all bishop who are fighting..

Dont you do whatever is needed to get he job done on your side of the map??

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »
  Good game-play for me and my squad is whatever is needed to help out Bishop...That means porking,bombing,strategizing,taking bases,and helping others to do as much.It is not about ME,it is about how can we help the bishop to accomplish whatever is needed at the time to get an objective accomplished,As well as all bishop who are fighting..

Dont you do whatever is needed to get he job done on your side of the map??

No sir..not whatever is needed.
And let me give you an example. Just a while ago we upped from a feild and spotted a cv not too far off with noone taking off from it and noone manning the guns. Do we A) launch a bunch of lancs to reach 5k only to release a salvo of fury while doing a nosedive. B) get the squad together and maybe do something fun yet challenging by upping stukas to sink it. ( I choose B)
The job gets done, its fun and even though half the squad probably dies in the auto ack before they get to release, we took a harder route.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2009, 07:51:56 PM »
And let me give you an example. Just a while ago we upped from a feild and spotted a cv not too far off with noone taking off from it and noone manning the guns. Do we A) launch a bunch of lancs to reach 5k only to release a salvo of fury while doing a nosedive. B) get the squad together and maybe do something fun yet challenging by upping stukas to sink it. ( I choose B)
The job gets done, its fun and even though half the squad probably dies in the auto ack before they get to release, we took a harder route.

This is an easy one,,, B   :)

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2009, 08:02:39 PM »

AHHH yes,but it still got the job done..And that was my point..

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2009, 08:03:40 PM »
This is an easy one,,, B   :)
which is my point exactly :aok. Others around you also pick up on that sort of stuff.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2009, 08:09:07 PM »

Up 2 b-25h's and take back a cv??? give me a break,really?? is that your SOP when it comes to killing a cv,do you get on country and tell everyone NO MORE THAN 2 B-25's are to KILL THAT CV??? NO,you dont...we were looking to get our cv back.By any means..

and why not 2 b25s? it all takes but 1 to sink a cv if your good. you cant retract your opinions here :D

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »
B-25h's...only using the HE and 110's...the ship was almost 2 sectors away...would of taken too long flying back and forth with only 2 b25's.. And it was NOT being used,it was being hidden...does hiding the CV come under the definition of bad gameplay,or does it fall under..WHATEVER is needed for ones country..

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #189 on: April 18, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »
B-25h's...only using the HE and 110's...the ship was almost 2 sectors away...would of taken too long flying back and forth with only 2 b25's.. And it was NOT being used,it was being hidden...does hiding the CV come under the definition of bad gameplay,or does it fall under..WHATEVER is needed for ones country..
Does 10 B25s come home faster than 2?
My views on hidden cvs are that if you fought that hard for ports and kill that cv as some squads will do, youve earned that right.
Besides, you cant guard that cv forever before someone will set it on a destruction course.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #190 on: April 18, 2009, 08:29:32 PM »
  And that is your right as the opposing country,to do with the cv as you wish..Although many would disagree with you.It is a tactic which is used in-game,( to hide the opposing countrys cv)..But I did not want to spend ,and neither did the bish who were in the mission,want to spend alot of time flying back and forth,when we could just fly over and take it in much less time than you speak of by using only 2 planes,and use it ourselves,plus with that many,we can usually take down ALL the other ships with it,and along with getting the cv back,people learn how to use a plane they may not of flown before,and get a greater appreciation for it..

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2009, 11:06:59 PM »
  And that is your right as the opposing country,to do with the cv as you wish..Although many would disagree with you.It is a tactic which is used in-game,( to hide the opposing countrys cv)..But I did not want to spend ,and neither did the bish who were in the mission,want to spend alot of time flying back and forth,when we could just fly over and take it in much less time than you speak of by using only 2 planes,and use it ourselves,plus with that many,we can usually take down ALL the other ships with it,and along with getting the cv back,people learn how to use a plane they may not of flown before,and get a greater appreciation for it..

The CV in question I had turned to run west to help at 61, someone took it to hide it again, so this time I took control and turned it again. While my rank isn't always enough to keep it, had some one took it again I would have broadcast the location to the Bishops every 5 minutes until it was sunk, or used. CV are mobile fields to be used to create COMBAT. I use it, if I can't I'll call out were it is so some one else will use it.

Hiding a CV is lame game play. If you take it, use it. Much like a field, if you take it, use it, defend it. Most NOEs are just that, grab the base and move off someplace else. 15 minutes later the base is recaptured, why not the CV too.

Falcon, you asked for opinions, and when people give them, you get upset because they are not the responses you wanted to hear. Maybe the old saying "the truth hurts" is in play.  I think its possible you might even thing your "part of the horde" but were hoping people wouldn't think so. Now your stuck, because your eyes are wide open, but you don't know how to get out of the horde ,so you defend you style of game play by saying "you will do what ever it takes to help the bishops." The only time it seem that any one picks on you is when you admit it takes 6-8 B25s to sink a CV, or 12 110s 4 goons and assorted fighters to take a base, or that most of your missions are NOE.

I don't know about other who play, but win or lose isn't that big a deal.... well ok winning is better  :D but to me if I could get descent fights when I fly I'm happy and having fun. I can't have fun trying to get the kill of the only bad guy around be chased by 5 other guys, nor can I have fun getting vulched by 6 guys while 12 110s are trying to take the town down.

Today your having fun with your NOE missions, and doing what ever it takes to help the bish. What happens tomorrow when two new squads show up. One is rook, the other is Knight. they both have squad night on Saturday night, and they both get 20-30 player in a mission. Ohhh and the last bit... they both loath the Bishops. I'm thinking with good planning and if they stick to hitting the Bish... because of chess piece loyalty you know they do what ever they can to help their teams..... they would have the Bish down to their uncapturable bases in a few hours. I bet that would be a fun Saturday night for the bish right? Fun is fun after all.

Thats how it going to go eventually you know. First it was "this" type of game play, then it was "that" type of game play, whats to be next? Maybe people who are skilled who run multible NOE at the same time. Priding themselves on take bases in "pairs" as fast as they can... WOW !!! won't that be fun !  :rolleyes:

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2009, 02:14:52 AM »

What u guys dont see,is that I dont run missions to FAIL..

fail at what?

our squad (maybe 5-6 strong at the time) had fun earlier today flying 25+ ENY planes into a protracted battle (some folks might call it a furball, i call it a protracted battle) against superior planes and superior numbers.. we were happy to get any kills at all. we ended up with many. in planes we'd never really flown.... now THAT was fun...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:19:45 AM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2009, 05:03:38 AM »
does hiding the CV come under the definition of bad gameplay,or does it fall under..WHATEVER is needed for ones country..

They're not countries, they're chess pieces and they are chess pieces for a reason.  So people wouldn't build up blind loyalties to a certain side and sacrifice gameplay for 'the good of country' argument.  Didn't work though.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2009, 08:14:24 AM »

Still not understanding you. but if your that impatient. AR234s.