Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 24937 times)

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »
AHHH yes,but it still got the job done..And that was my point..
Its not getting to point B..its how you get there. The "by all means" attititude gives a bad example to you and also to any new guy that comes in. Just because you pay your 15$ a month doesnt warrant yourself feeling free to do whatever you wanted.
Common sense will tell you that if you have been here long enough, you should know what is "bad game play" and what is not.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2009, 08:35:37 AM »
The CV in question I had turned to run west to help at 61, someone took it to hide it again, so this time I took control and turned it again. While my rank isn't always enough to keep it, had some one took it again I would have broadcast the location to the Bishops every 5 minutes until it was sunk, or used. CV are mobile fields to be used to create COMBAT. I use it, if I can't I'll call out were it is so some one else will use it.

Hiding a CV is lame game play. If you take it, use it. Much like a field, if you take it, use it, defend it. Most NOEs are just that, grab the base and move off someplace else. 15 minutes later the base is recaptured, why not the CV too.

Falcon, you asked for opinions, and when people give them, you get upset because they are not the responses you wanted to hear. Maybe the old saying "the truth hurts" is in play.  I think its possible you might even thing your "part of the horde" but were hoping people wouldn't think so. Now your stuck, because your eyes are wide open, but you don't know how to get out of the horde ,so you defend you style of game play by saying "you will do what ever it takes to help the bishops." The only time it seem that any one picks on you is when you admit it takes 6-8 B25s to sink a CV, or 12 110s 4 goons and assorted fighters to take a base, or that most of your missions are NOE.

I don't know about other who play, but win or lose isn't that big a deal.... well ok winning is better  :D but to me if I could get descent fights when I fly I'm happy and having fun. I can't have fun trying to get the kill of the only bad guy around be chased by 5 other guys, nor can I have fun getting vulched by 6 guys while 12 110s are trying to take the town down.

Today your having fun with your NOE missions, and doing what ever it takes to help the bish. What happens tomorrow when two new squads show up. One is rook, the other is Knight. they both have squad night on Saturday night, and they both get 20-30 player in a mission. Ohhh and the last bit... they both loath the Bishops. I'm thinking with good planning and if they stick to hitting the Bish... because of chess piece loyalty you know they do what ever they can to help their teams..... they would have the Bish down to their uncapturable bases in a few hours. I bet that would be a fun Saturday night for the bish right? Fun is fun after all.

Thats how it going to go eventually you know. First it was "this" type of game play, then it was "that" type of game play, whats to be next? Maybe people who are skilled who run multible NOE at the same time. Priding themselves on take bases in "pairs" as fast as they can... WOW !!! won't that be fun !  :rolleyes:

I am sorry but you guys will never convince ME,nor MANY others in the other countrys that running missions is BAD game-play..Just as I will not convince YOU,nor MANY others that it is GOOD-game-play..So we are stuck....And must agree to disagree.. :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2009, 08:55:06 AM »
   I am sorry but you guys will never convince ME,nor MANY others in the other countrys that running missions is BAD game-play..Just as I will not convince YOU,nor MANY others that it is GOOD-game-play..So we are stuck....And must agree to disagree.. :salute

OK I'll type slow I NEVER SAID RUNNING MISSIONS IS BAD GAME PLAY
however the type of mission you run could fall under that category.

Good Mission ( my be a bit boring)

Upping 12 110s, 4 goons, and 6 Niks. 6 110s 2 goons and 3 Nik head to A59 at 12k,  6 110s 2 goons and 3 Nik head to A61 at 12k. At each base 110s split between town and field, Niks cover, goons capture.

Lame Mission

Upping 12 110s, 4 goons, and 6 Niks. NOE to A59 annihilate town and base.

See the difference? Same planes, different missions. By hitting two bases at once you are still having fun with your squad, but you let the enemy have a chance to play too. Whats wrong with that?

Thats what I'm saying, a lot of people are stuck doing missions like the mass NOEs because its the only mission they "KNOW", as well as the only mission that they can do consistently. They never learned any other mission, or the skills to MAKE other missions work. I LOVE MISSIONS !! Ever hear the saying "I love it when a plan comes together"? Well missions are like that. If you pull it off its almost as good as that first kill! Lame NOEs one after the other is nothing but lame, but building and planning a complex mission and having it succeed, is a lot of fun.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:28 AM »

I don't think anyone said missions, in and of themselves are BAD, just the dweeby 50 plane noe runs, suicide lancs, etc type raids---most missions in those categories have encounters with airplanes/GV's of other countries at the absolute BOTTOM of their list of priorities, smacking undefended fields/buildings at the top---massive gameplay of the latter category is, IMO, the biggest thing that makes long-time members delete Aces High and cancel their accounts
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »
Quote from: oTRALFZo
..its how you get there.

This is golden and really gets to the crux of the problem. The problem isn't about strategy, winning the war, missions and all of that stuff. It's about HOW you chose to get there. Falcon, you and folks of your ilk, chose the fast 'n' easy way. What you can't seem to understand is the point of all of this is not getting to the destination, it's all about the ride that gets you there.

This is not war.

This is entertainment.

If you REALLY want to do the win the war stuff, you and your buds should try scenarios.....what you do in the MA's is better typified by....nope....not gonna go there.  :devil

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Ramon

• Copper Member
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Sounds like everyone is convinced beyond a shadow of doubt that their way is the right way.  Since everyone plays for their own enjoyment...they are ALL right!  How about that!  ROFLMAO

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2009, 10:12:38 AM »

Sooner or later you will come out of that  bubble.  Sometimes you cant always win at winning but you can always win at loosing. I would much rather watch a pro hockey, football etc.. team that plays their heart out but looses rather than a team that wins by exploiting rules.

Offline thndregg

• Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2009, 10:14:19 AM »
When I put together missions, I don't stick to any one mission style. I love buffs, Jug jabos, NOE's, all sorts. I'm bound to p!ss someone off out of the myriad of players in here. Oh, well. Brush it off and go on.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »
When I put together missions, I don't stick to any one mission style. I love buffs, Jug jabos, NOE's, all sorts. I'm bound to p!ss someone off out of the myriad of players in here. Oh, well. Brush it off and go on.
Egg, Ive been in your missions before and on the other side of them.  They are fun on both sides. You dint play that "sneaky Pete", take the base by all means necessary attitude and thats what is different. 25, even 30 jugs taking off 3 sectors away gives everyone involved a fighting chance which equates to fun.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2009, 10:38:35 AM »
........rather than a team that wins by exploiting rules.

What rules might that be?

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »
Sooner or later you will come out of that  bubble.  Sometimes you cant always win at winning but you can always win at loosing. I would much rather watch a pro hockey, football etc.. team that plays their heart out but looses rather than a team that wins by exploiting rules.

Which pro hockey and football teams play with less than the allowed number of players on the ice or field because it's more of a challenge that way? "Gosh, these power plays aren't hard enough, let's put one of our players in the penalty box too!"

I like teams that play their hearts out too, I just may define that differently than you do.

Sometimes fighting against overwhelming odds is fun too, as long as it isn't all night. I'm learning to like being on the short side of of long odds now and then. That's different from being rammed by a guy trying to HO you, which is never fun or interesting. I just don't see running missions with a large group as inherently lame the way a lot of the other stuff discussed here is. If you NEVER get any serious opposition, sure, that would get boring, but that doesn't happen very often - usually a horde moving across the map gobbling up bases attracts attention fairly quickly.

And how does flying a mission with a dozen 110s "exploit the rules"?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »
Well in pro hockey the goalies use to do the same thing. It wasn't a rule that all the jerseys had to be the same size with in reason, but when Roy started wearing jerseys that looked like it was big enough for two or three players they had to make a rule so he didn't have "wings" to help him stop the puck. The same with the blocker and catching gloves. Once they started making light weight leg pads they started to grow in size too.

Honor/good gamesmanship said you used the normal sizes, but once it became obvious everyone started doing it and then the league had to step in.

Using 3 or 4 110 is more than enough to take a VB, 12 is pushing good gamesmanship. Its not breaking a rule...yet... but if enough people start complaining to HTC, or start canceling subscriptions because they are tired of lame/poor gamesmanship, you can bet there will be a new rule. How do you think the ENY, and split arena came about? 

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2009, 07:52:08 PM »
Which pro hockey and football teams play with less than the allowed number of players on the ice or field because it's more of a challenge that way? "Gosh, these power plays aren't hard enough, let's put one of our players in the penalty box too!"

I like teams that play their hearts out too, I just may define that differently than you do.

Sometimes fighting against overwhelming odds is fun too, as long as it isn't all night. I'm learning to like being on the short side of of long odds now and then. That's different from being rammed by a guy trying to HO you, which is never fun or interesting. I just don't see running missions with a large group as inherently lame the way a lot of the other stuff discussed here is. If you NEVER get any serious opposition, sure, that would get boring, but that doesn't happen very often - usually a horde moving across the map gobbling up bases attracts attention fairly quickly.

And how does flying a mission with a dozen 110s "exploit the rules"?

There is no sport that allows you to outnumber your opponant 5 to 1 or even 2 to 1. The OP of this thread was challenged when he stated that its very difficult to run a NOE mission with 12 110s, 6 nikis and 4 goons. ( count 22 total). To the average player/squad here..that is MORE than enough to accomplish the mission.
The OP however elects that it is righteous to double those #s instead of working on his/their skills and challenging themselves. How is this bad game play you ask?

How many people care enough to ditch their planes to come to the rescue of a 30 man NOE raid?..5-6 maybe?. Thats still giving the offensive the 5-6 to 1 ratio.  That means 5-6 nikis that spray the defenders in the face for what? NO challenge, no skill involved. 
It is also a horrible message to whats being sent to the new guys. "if you wanna win, you gotta be with the #s).

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2009, 08:09:07 PM »
ROFLOL...You guys crack me up..trying to define what makes a good mission and what doesnt..tell you what,you keep running your missions the way you want,and I will keep running mine the way I want..

Tral,you used to be in the top 3 for running the missions you now say shouldnt be run...Just because you stopped does not automatically mean everyone should stop also..

"RULES" being broken..What a bunch of fluff...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #209 on: April 19, 2009, 10:14:45 PM »
Falcon, you admitted you got tired of a furball going on at A9 for 5 hours so you got your horde together and killed it, then you went on and only 25-30 of you hit and took A10. My guess is there was a bunch of people having a blast in that furball and you decide to take all that fun away.... for what... the good of the Bish?

Talk about Lame game play.