Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 25357 times)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #525 on: April 26, 2009, 12:05:53 PM »
Let me give a short list from what I have read:  Missions are lame, Missions with more than 10 people or lame, Noe Missions are lame, flying perk planes is lame, 2 vs. 1 is lame, 3 vs. 1 is lame, 4 vs. 1 is lame, lone wolfing is lame, flying 30k is lame, bombing missions are lame, Large squads are lame, Once a guy said Small squads are lame ( I kid you not), Capturing a certain base is lame, resupplying a base is lame,Capturing a field period is lame, porking a field is lame, and the list goes on.

Personally I think there are some lame things. However, I have done them all. I am willing to bet most of you have too. I have films of people doing lame things. I have films of myself doing lame stupid things.

Now let me ask you this, if you adhered to all the things deemed lame would it not a some point interfere with the way you enjoy the game?

:aok :aok
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #526 on: April 26, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »
My last 'contribution' -
I put it to you the game itself isn't fair, and can never be in its current format.
Yes, obviously the intended meaning is that the game ought to be more rich and fair than less so.

Tell me what is fair when a shiny new newb on his first sortie can get hammered by a 6,7,8 year old AH vet?
Everyone plays by the same rules. Same physics, etc. Everyone can film and learn, no secrets.

Game = Gameplay - Gameplay is largely determined by what is allowed in the game.
See below.

Thats why I have always said the the big quest for equal numbers is a fallacy. I would assume you would agree that 20 or so vets could easily take on much, much, much more newbies?
Dunno where you read anyone argue that. In this 'bad gameplay' discussion or anywhere else. I have no problem with 3:1 against noobs.. It's fun for both me and them (from what I heard from them in pm or ch200 4 out of 5 times).  The really interesting point would be that most players could easily do away with having to run and with cheap gameplay by learning some very rudimentary basics.. That the official trainers are more than happy to provide.. That most experienced players will be glad to demonstrate as well.  Or that they'll unwittingly teach if the noobs review their films.  The basics of dogfighting are really very simple.  Huge gains for the first few efforts up the learning curve.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:21:53 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #527 on: April 26, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
The game could never be "even, or equal" If it was it would always be a stalemate.

What I find humorous is I have been shot down by some of the people in here that are complaining about missions and hords etc. while they were right in the middle of a big misson, hord, with their countrymen. The people that fly in Jokers or Falcons missons all have fun they are fun missons, having fun is what the game is supposed to be all about:aok

...but does it have to always be at the other players expense? By taking 20 guys to crush 6 you may have fun....I don't see how 3 on 1 :rolleyes: but the "6" surely are in for a bad time. I know you can take a field with 10 guys, I know this because I've done it hundreds of times. This new wave of player though doesn't "know" it because they never do it. The only missions they are in are the ones with an over whelming force.

The same goes for a fight, if it 3 on 1 how much more fun would it be being the next guy in? Not much unless you succeed in stealing the kill from the other three guys chasing the "one" already, now you've pissed off 4 people. Its easy to fix, use common sense and go look for another fight.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #528 on: April 26, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
if it 3 on 1 how much more fun would it be being the next guy in? Not much unless you succeed in stealing the kill from the other three guys chasing the "one" already, now you've pissed off 4 people. Its easy to fix, use common sense and go look for another fight.
:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #529 on: April 26, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Lame, Dweebish, Noobish, blah blah blah...........  Good use of adjectives.

Sounds like a bunch of opinions to me though.  Sadly, since we're all human, we'll never agree.  Everybody has one.

Oh but BTW Donkey's Rears.........  Newb's come on the game, and you punk's don't give them the time of day.  A mission is an easy way for a newb to get involved, to want to pay the subscription, so, Bishop gets numbers in missions because we talk with our newbs.............

Oh, and another thing JACK's.....................

Without the newbs.... HTC, and the game, will never grow, eventually ceasing to exist.  So why don't you all start saying thank you to the folks like FALCON23, who make this game exist. 

You and your high horse..... Doesn't pay the bills....  Despite what your ego's think.  Your opinion is only worth 15 bucks.... Same as mine, same as 300 names I can think of that really enjoy ruining Fugitive's evening. 

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Oh and another FYI...........  FALCON23 being nice and speaking to newbs..... DRIVES US NUTS!   

Get your facts straight.

And what page of the AH rulebook does it tell us what your definition of lame is?  Oh, wait a sec..... I don't give two craps.  Nevermind.

I think you need to check youre compass logan, Why dont you ask falcon which squad he started with when he was a noob. So were all punks for not talking to noobs well us bringing falcon and his son into our squad while they were noobs and doing squad missions without the 30+ pilots makes us punks?? The reason falcon and us parted ways was because we as a squad didnt want to constantly run horde missions or NOE missions. We prefer to take new members in and teaching them how to fly with at least some skill and knowledge of ACM.

We as a squad have stopped many horde missions in their tracks and pilot for pilot my boys have put many of you in the tower time after time. We have taught many new players skills they wouldnt have learned on their own or have learned being in some godawefull horde where youre just another red dot in the sky. We like newcommers and we dont require them to "do as I say" in a mission they usually fly wing with TwentyFo, Mcboi, Shukes and others and they actually lean a thing or 2. If they decide to stick with us thats fine we welcome them, if not then if the seperation is cordial and friendly then we wish them well.You acuseing us of being punks and not talking to new members is unfounded and just plain wrong.

You need to get the facts straight.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #530 on: April 26, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »
Anybody else seein' the connection between pilot skill and their opinion on this topic?
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #531 on: April 26, 2009, 05:42:15 PM »
I think you need to check youre compass logan, Why dont you ask falcon which squad he started with when he was a noob. So were all punks for not talking to noobs well us bringing falcon and his son into our squad while they were noobs and doing squad missions without the 30+ pilots makes us punks?? The reason falcon and us parted ways was because we as a squad didnt want to constantly run horde missions or NOE missions. We prefer to take new members in and teaching them how to fly with at least some skill and knowledge of ACM.

We as a squad have stopped many horde missions in their tracks and pilot for pilot my boys have put many of you in the tower time after time. We have taught many new players skills they wouldnt have learned on their own or have learned being in some godawefull horde where youre just another red dot in the sky. We like newcommers and we dont require them to "do as I say" in a mission they usually fly wing with TwentyFo, Mcboi, Shukes and others and they actually lean a thing or 2. If they decide to stick with us thats fine we welcome them, if not then if the seperation is cordial and friendly then we wish them well.You acuseing us of being punks and not talking to new members is unfounded and just plain wrong.

You need to get the facts straight.

The reason why I left smokey,was all you guys ever wanted to do was defend..There was NO offensive movement to you guys after awhile..That is why I left..No one ever complained about the missions I ran when I was in your squad.but you expected that everytime a squaddie called for help I was to just drop a mission which already had people in it..Just ended up being not the way I roll..

And why get so defensive with llogann,I am still trying to see where he said anything about lynchmob.?

As far as which squad starting with..You guys were the first to ask..And people leave squads for other reasons as well.. ALMOST ALL squads have people leave them,it is just a fact of the game..

You guys defend,and thats cool,defense is needed.But I plan missions,as well as play other aspects of the game..

You think that planning missions most of a day is easy??? like to see some of you complaining run COUNTRY MISSIONS for 4-6 hours...Does not matter if it is a few in it or many...Try it for a day..

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #532 on: April 26, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »
Anybody else seein' the connection between pilot skill and their opinion on this topic?

Like having a rounded knowledge of ACM, E management couple with SA ....so you can handle a 1v 1 or 2 or 3 on 1?  Or having none of the above so you have to run away, run to friends or just plain bail?

Like bombing ammo's from 26k with 250Lb'ers instead of having to suicide your lancstuka.  Like taking out a CV with calibrated bombing in AR234's instead of suiciding your B26's?

Like porking a field and still be in one peace to fight your way home instead of riding the bomb in so's you can rinse & repeat?

Like pushing the gv attack back to the spawn instead of sitting there on your base to frightened to move off?

Like having your small squad take a large field intacted without the need for a megga mission?

Frankly the list goes on and on and yes I get the connection.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #533 on: April 26, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »
  You think that planning missions most of a day is easy??? like to see some of you complaining run COUNTRY MISSIONS for 4-6 hours...Does not matter if it is a few in it or many...Try it for a day..

<<<<the fight is this way
Commence NOE horde this way>>>>

Easy enough
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #534 on: April 26, 2009, 07:11:38 PM »
<<<<the fight is this way
Commence NOE horde this way>>>>

Easy enough

<<<<< "THIS WAY"whatever kind of fighting you want to do is "THIS WAY">>>>>

Offline Dawggus

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
« Reply #535 on: April 26, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »
I'll never forget back in about 2003, when I started out with Nazgul, there was an armchair general planning a mission.   Mind you this mission was out to get A26 from the Bish and had no importance in their "quest for a reset".   Also, it had over 60 participants.   The 81st wasn't happy about what I did and BFD even remembered that night at the 2003 Indy Con.    :devil

Meanwhile, to win the reset, I hired Mutley, Goth, Boxboy28 and AX to hit the Center island.   We took all bases ourselves and they never even got close to taking A26.

Some folks on here over the years have all of a sudden "become the best mission planners", but a lot of them lack a simple grasp of frontal tactics.   "Let's swarm a base, take it, but quickly lose it, because we left supplies and the VH up at a base to it's rear."   

But, if some sleep better thinking they're the shizzle, I guess. 

You always were a stinker, but I loved your antics ;).

Cya Up!

Dawg

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #536 on: April 26, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »
You always were a stinker, but I loved your antics ;).

Cya Up!

Dawg

I appreciate your honesty.    I always put other people ahead of myself and my wife hates it.   

Gimme a holler if you see me on Dawg!   :rock

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #537 on: April 26, 2009, 10:16:17 PM »
Please, take the time to read this without your egos and assess it objectively.

What too many folks don't seem to get is the fact that not a single thing, in and of itself, mentioned here as "lame gameplay" is lame gameplay. They are all part of the game. What is "lame" about the gameplay these days is the idea that AH is a "race to reset" game. That leads people to believe that an "anything goes" mentality is "good gameplay" because it accomplishes their goals. Which, in turn, assures that they will continually take the path of least resistance because it is the path to success in the "race to reset".  THAT is bad gameplay.

A number of people have attempted to justify the way they play with statements about how vets treat newbies. That does nothing to further anyone's goals here, it simply obfuscates the truth, the only justification for the way people play the game is that it is what they want to do.

No one here is asking anyone to be a "baby sitter" or to police their fellow players. All that anyone can ask is that each player examine own his gameplay. Can you honestly say that you are making any effort to be a good and entertaining opponent? If not, then the odds are that you are part of the problem.

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #538 on: April 26, 2009, 10:25:58 PM »
Please, take the time to read this without your egos and assess it objectively.

What too many folks don't seem to get is the fact that not a single thing, in and of itself, mentioned here as "lame gameplay" is lame gameplay. They are all part of the game. What is "lame" about the gameplay these days is the idea that AH is a "race to reset" game. That leads people to believe that an "anything goes" mentality is "good gameplay" because it accomplishes their goals. Which, in turn, assures that they will continually take the path of least resistance because it is the path to success in the "race to reset".  THAT is bad gameplay.

A number of people have attempted to justify the way they play with statements about how vets treat newbies. That does nothing to further anyone's goals here, it simply obfuscates the truth, the only justification for the way people play the game is that it is what they want to do.

No one here is asking anyone to be a "baby sitter" or to police their fellow players. All that anyone can ask is that each player examine own his gameplay. Can you honestly say that you are making any effort to be a good and entertaining opponent? If not, then the odds are that you are part of the problem.

I can agree with that. However, HTC has put in the "reset" portion of the game. It's the community that has contaminated the "challenge of a goal" into a "race to the end".

I agree, its up to each of us to ask ourselves "Are you making any effort to be a good and entertaining opponent?"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #539 on: April 26, 2009, 10:33:01 PM »
I am POSITIVE all this whining about "lame" game play would cease if the arenas were to be player capped at a far more reasonable level.  150 max.  The old WBs arenas were capped at 119 iirc, and were alot more enjoyable than these 300 player arenas (never mind titillating Tuesday's).  start at 119 capped and see how much it improves.  Of course, there will ALWAYS be vehement whiners....even in 8 player there was always some crack muncher pissing and moaning about this or that.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns