Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 25323 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #555 on: April 28, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »
No victory without peril.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #556 on: April 28, 2009, 06:55:07 PM »
OK Falcon, look at it from the other side. You log on on a Saturday and the only fight going is this horde rolling base after base. Your out numbered 3 or 4 to 1 The other side see's a possible reset in the works so they just hammer your team relentlessly. While it may be "fun" for them they are certainly ruining yours correct?

Sure you could start a fight on the other side of the map, or maybe try to run an NOE behind the horde, maybe even a porking mission, boring as all h@ll, but it might slow them down. But you know, its only a matter of time before they reset the map.

This is where you can entertain the opposition. There is no need to roll base after base, if you succeed in taking enough we get a new map and it starts all over, if you don't the midnight crawlers will milk them back during the night. So make the missions more fun. Instead of having it be all about the map reset, make be all about the battle for the map reset. I know it doesn't sound all that different, but it is. By making it more fun for the enemy as well as your team it will be more abut the battle.

Lumping everyone in with those loud mouths is the same as saying every big squad is a horde, it just isn't always true. Yes some are a horde because thats the only way they know how to operate, but others spread themselves out to support a fight instead of trying to dominate the fight. The same goes for some of the best sticks in this game. You'll rarely see them complain, but if the night is run by the horde, you won't see them fly either.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #557 on: April 28, 2009, 07:01:50 PM »
...my side...

...dont believe I am here to entertain the opponents..

...MY GOAL is supposed to be to entertain those guys,then they are barking up the wrong tree...

...I want to entertain myself,my squad,and the country I fly for...

...Thats where my entertainment lies...

And I can relate to the guys on 200 hollering about this or that,I do it MYSELF sometimes..But do I expect that the guy I am even talking to on 200 is going to see it,not really.Do I expect that the red guy flying away after I got the upperhand in the fight should turn around and ENTERTAIN me,he is protecting his skin,and after seeing some of what I consider to be GREAT sticks in the game run from me,not knowing who I was,and only later finding out that they ran due to the fact that they lost the upper hand in the fight,dosent make me feel the need to entertain the other side..

Hmm, whole lotta "I" going on. You seem to be focused only on yourself and those around you. This is part and parcel of what makes for bad game play. Why do you think there is so much drivel on Ch200? Could it be because so many think like you do and only care about self-gratification?

I was going to try again to help you understand what others have been trying to show you. You, obviously, have no desire to even see if there might be some validity to the other side of this. I will say that what is being talked about here is part of reason that HT split the arenas and perhaps should do it again. After nearly 20 years of doing this (yeah, when they say "been there, done that", I'm the guy they are talking about) I am sad to say that without some changes, this may be a dead-end ride.

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #558 on: April 28, 2009, 07:20:28 PM »
I will say that what is being talked about here is part of reason that HT split the arenas and perhaps should do it again. After nearly 20 years of doing this (yeah, when they say "been there, done that", I'm the guy they are talking about) I am sad to say that without some changes, this may be a dead-end ride.

A thought, NB...splitting arenas will do what? Start a mass exodus from the game? Somehow that might be counter productive to a dogfight game. Or have you forgotten the demise of DosAW? Of how many were in the multiple arena in the end? I personally would hate to see a repeat of that. Especially if there is no AoHell AW, WB or AH2 to go to....

Ren

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #559 on: April 28, 2009, 07:43:48 PM »
Ren...

The arena split here has nothing to do with the demise of AW...DOS or otherwise. It has not meant the demise of this game, thus far. HT's intent was to create an environment where "community" had a chance to grow by breaking one large, unwieldy community into several smaller ones.

What is "counter productive to a dogfight game" is large groups of players playing on opposite sides of the map to avoid combat.

What killed AW was apathetic management, not split arenas.

BTW, nice to see you around, Ren. :)

NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #560 on: April 28, 2009, 09:08:53 PM »
I've been playing since 1996. The fights in AW and AH have always been dynamic not static. That is the fight moves around all the time. It's a very mobile game. Players see a weakness on the flanks and they go for it. Players have to adjust, stay alert, and counter attack.

The one thing that Nobaddy stated and rings so true is the level of fight avoidance. Missions have put together to prove this and prove it they did. This seems to be a fairly new development. Maybe in the last 3 years. Hordes have always been there and missions as well. Still I have not seen the level of avoidance that you now see. Yet at times I have never seen such huge furballs. A few months back we had a furball that lasted 3 hours when 3 enemy cvs staggered in to an isolated island.

One thing I don't agree with is that a player should be there to entertain another player.  :rofl :rofl :rofl I think the most fun for all is when a player plays the way he enjoys although there are exceptions I can think of.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #561 on: April 28, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »
One thing I don't agree with is that a player should be there to entertain another player.  :rofl :rofl :rofl I think the most fun for all is when a player plays the way he enjoys although there are exceptions I can think of.

Bet your wife thinks you are a great sex partner too.... :rofl :rofl :rofl

NoBaddy (NB)

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #562 on: April 28, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
OK Falcon, look at it from the other side. You log on on a Saturday and the only fight going is this horde rolling base after base. Your out numbered 3 or 4 to 1 The other side see's a possible reset in the works so they just hammer your team relentlessly. While it may be "fun" for them they are certainly ruining yours correct?

Sure you could start a fight on the other side of the map, or maybe try to run an NOE behind the horde, maybe even a porking mission, boring as all h@ll, but it might slow them down. But you know, its only a matter of time before they reset the map.

This is where you can entertain the opposition. There is no need to roll base after base, if you succeed in taking enough we get a new map and it starts all over, if you don't the midnight crawlers will milk them back during the night. So make the missions more fun. Instead of having it be all about the map reset, make be all about the battle for the map reset. I know it doesn't sound all that different, but it is. By making it more fun for the enemy as well as your team it will be more abut the battle.

Lumping everyone in with those loud mouths is the same as saying every big squad is a horde, it just isn't always true. Yes some are a horde because thats the only way they know how to operate, but others spread themselves out to support a fight instead of trying to dominate the fight. The same goes for some of the best sticks in this game. You'll rarely see them complain, but if the night is run by the horde, you won't see them fly either.

First a reply to NB..You asked ME/I a question and I answered it with how I feel..I cannot speak for anyone else but me...

I dont see how I can be focused on the RED guy and make sure he is "ENTERTAINED" by me..the only way I entertain them is if they shoot me down..That is the point of the game,among others isnt it?? I am not trying to be obstinate,but in the game,it is kill or be killed..It is defend a base,or have it taken from you,this is on all 3 countrys..

Fugitive:
 I have been on that end,no it is not the greatest time to be on the recieving end,but one does what one can to stop the missions..And if it cant be done,I just log into another arena if the numbers are way out of kilter,I dont get offended by it..I realize that maps are going to get reset,I used to want to reset them as fast as possible,but not anymore..Although I still want to take bases.Sometimes momentum gets going and one gets "BLOODLUST" in their eyes and the missions roll..

Yes fugitive porking missions and resupplying are BORING,but in the game,being as rounded as it is,is a way to slow down the other side..I used to hate porking,now it is one of the main things we do  in my squad,without feeling it is BORING...

I see what you are saying about the battle and the map reset..But it is very hard to watch bases get taken by another team,and not go about to try and get some of them back,as well as some of theirs..
But the battles get OLD for me..I can last maybe 2 hours,sometimes a bit longer in a FB,and honestly,I am done with it..I am not the greatest fighter,but I do ok,and I dont know,it just gets old..

Anyway it is late,and FUGITIVE,I appreciate this post you made,it seems to come from a different place,maybe because I can relate to getting rolled by the other side,but I know it is part of the game,and it happens,and I usually just go to another arena.. :salute

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #563 on: April 28, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »
Bet your wife thinks you are a great sex partner too.... :rofl :rofl :rofl

I've been highly highly complimented! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #564 on: April 28, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
How are you guys not blind from reading all those little words.
Strokes

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #565 on: April 28, 2009, 09:47:22 PM »
 First a reply to NB..You asked ME/I a question and I answered it with how I feel..I cannot speak for anyone else but me...

I dont see how I can be focused on the RED guy and make sure he is "ENTERTAINED" by me..the only way I entertain them is if they shoot me down..That is the point of the game,among others isnt it?? I am not trying to be obstinate,but in the game,it is kill or be killed..It is defend a base,or have it taken from you,this is on all 3 countrys..

Fugitive:
 I have been on that end,no it is not the greatest time to be on the recieving end,but one does what one can to stop the missions..And if it cant be done,I just log into another arena if the numbers are way out of kilter,I dont get offended by it..I realize that maps are going to get reset,I used to want to reset them as fast as possible,but not anymore..Although I still want to take bases.Sometimes momentum gets going and one gets "BLOODLUST" in their eyes and the missions roll..

Yes fugitive porking missions and resupplying are BORING,but in the game,being as rounded as it is,is a way to slow down the other side..I used to hate porking,now it is one of the main things we do  in my squad,without feeling it is BORING...

I see what you are saying about the battle and the map reset..But it is very hard to watch bases get taken by another team,and not go about to try and get some of them back,as well as some of theirs..
But the battles get OLD for me..I can last maybe 2 hours,sometimes a bit longer in a FB,and honestly,I am done with it..I am not the greatest fighter,but I do ok,and I dont know,it just gets old..

Anyway it is late,and FUGITIVE,I appreciate this post you made,it seems to come from a different place,maybe because I can relate to getting rolled by the other side,but I know it is part of the game,and it happens,and I usually just go to another arena.. :salute

Now this is a good reply, your thinking. So now with this reply in mind look at it this way....

You said if worst comes to worst you will switch arenas, well what if there wasn't any hordes running, and battles were there to be battles, there would be no reason to switch arenas. By creating combat situations instead of just rolling another base your feeding the game and everyones enjoyment.

Second thing, porking has become more part of the plan you said, thats great, but instead of just porking a base or two with a sweep, send out an element of 4 men and pork and then a fighter sweep. You accomplish the pork mission, as well as create another fighting spot. For both sides again increasing everyone enjoyment.

See what I mean, all of those thing you like to do can still be done WITHOUT ruining other players fun. If people have a chance at combat, they will take it. The more they take it the better they become at it. The better they become at it, the better the defenders must become to hold them off. How can this NOT be more fun than what we have now?  :aok  The more people that look at the game this way, the better the game will be, its up to all of us to work at it.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #566 on: April 28, 2009, 09:49:27 PM »
Ren...

The arena split here has nothing to do with the demise of AW...DOS or otherwise. It has not meant the demise of this game, thus far. HT's intent was to create an environment where "community" had a chance to grow by breaking one large, unwieldy community into several smaller ones.

What is "counter productive to a dogfight game" is large groups of players playing on opposite sides of the map to avoid combat.

What killed AW was apathetic management, not split arenas.

BTW, nice to see you around, Ren. :)

We should have one MA, smaller maps so there is nowhere for the hordes to hide.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Edgar

• Copper Member
« Reply #567 on: April 28, 2009, 11:21:27 PM »

So everyday becomes a Titanic Tuesday???

No Thanks...

:salute
Edgar
XO
VMF-222 ~Flying Deuces~
http://www.vmf-222.com/

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #568 on: April 29, 2009, 01:13:41 AM »
I say just remove the mission planner option.
You like taking bases?..join a "base taking squad". and so on. What kills me with these mega squads is their need to post public missions.  Advertising that you need to roll with the #s in order to get anything accomplished is what gives people bad habbits.
 Im still learning how to take up certain rides and Ive learned more in the past 4 months of not flying with the horde than I have learned the previous 2 years of flying with the horde.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #569 on: April 29, 2009, 02:34:48 AM »
So everyday becomes a Titanic Tuesday???

Yep, only on smaller maps. Your problem with TT is?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve