Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 25739 times)

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #840 on: May 11, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Ah, so you have a spy problem. (This ought to be good for at least another 10 or 15 pages).

It sounds to me like all the NOE's you've been running has pissed somebody off who's decided that rather than lamely run to the bbs where others have whined before, decided instead to put some effort into figuring out a way to have their fun putting a stop to your type of fun. Here's an idea: use what you've learned about them and lay a trap. You never know, the ensuing fight just might be fun too.

asw

I merly explaned what happen to answer Grizz's post, I don't whine
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline SNIPER30

• Copper Member
« Reply #841 on: May 11, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »
It sounds to me like all the NOE's you've been running has pissed somebody off who's decided that rather than lamely run to the bbs where others have whined before, decided instead to put some effort into figuring out a way to have their fun putting a stop to your type of fun.
:aok

I was running a mission into a knight base..NOE as I tend to do..Nothing seemed to be going on and rooks and nits were fighting hard on a 3 base front..Rooks were surrounded by 2 nit bases..So I am thinking while they are busy,I will roll into a nit base close,but dont want to distrub their fighting..
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

So mission rolls and WHO appears at a town at A NIT base?? Members of the lynchmob :O
Bye, the way we like the knights. fun group of guys,lot of good sticks

And they commence to killing the goons :furious :furious :furious :furious
:lol :lol :lol :D

I have heard some lame excuses in my life,but this has to be the lamest of all,and for the worst game play I have ever seen-running a mission into a knight base..NOE as I tend to do..Nothing seemed to be going on and rooks and nits were fighting hard on a 3 base front..Rooks were surrounded by 2 nit bases..So I am thinking while they are busy,I will roll into a nit base close,but dont want to distrub their fighting..
run a noe mission into a furball and get  :mad:when you get jumped :lol

THUNDER MOB
R.I.P. 11Bravo

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #842 on: May 11, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »
  Bye, the way we like the knights. fun group of guys,lot of good sticks

:run a noe mission into a furball and get  :mad:when you get jumped :lol

We are not mad about being jumped, we figured that the only way you can beat us is getting around the parameters of the game. :uhoh
Let me make it simple for you so you can understand "no wait I can't" your too simple to begin with. :rolleyes: :lol :lol :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:07:05 PM by DCCBOSS »
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #843 on: May 11, 2009, 01:19:27 PM »
We are not mad about being jumped, we figured that the only way you can beat us is getting around the parameters of the game. :uhoh
Let me make it simple for you so you can understand "no wait I can't" your too simple to begin with. :rolleyes: :lol :lol :rofl :rofl

Imo running NOEs are somewhat taking advantage of the parameters of the game.  Like I said in my previous post, MA noe detection methods simply aren't transparent enough nor is there enough time to mount a reasonable counter attack.

As for spying, HTC allows you to switch sides once an hour.  Has HTC ever said spying is against the rules?  I'm not sure but I haven't seen it.  Is it bending the rules and poor form reporting in another team's missions?  Yes, but maybe in this particular case two wrongs make a right.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #844 on: May 11, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »
  Like I said in my previous post, MA noe detection methods simply aren't transparent enough nor is there enough time to mount a reasonable counter atttack.

I believe just the opposite is true , on both counts.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #845 on: May 11, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »

I believe just the opposite of you.  So, neener neener neener.   :D

NOEs are for n00bies.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #846 on: May 11, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »

Let me explain to you a scenario how a NOE is detectable and defendable 1Boner.

A tower general studies the map and suspiciously notices a base is flashing with no dar bar.  He realizes it is an NOE raid and yells out on country channel NOE RAID11!! A57 need Fighters!  Now, 10-15 pilots point their planes 90 degrees towards the ground and auger their mission just to up at A57 within the window of opportunity to stop the raid.  Raid stopped. 

So in order to effectively stop the raid you need A) A player not playing the game studying the map (paying $15 to inspect the map)...  :huh and B) 10-15 Pilots willing to just auger their planes for the chance of stopping this NOE raid...  :huh

You think this is reasonable strategy to defend against the NOE attack?

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #847 on: May 11, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »
NOE's are transparent enough and there is no need to make any changes to the dar system.  I have gutted many an incoming NOE mission in my trusty Wirbel with little or no help.  As far as spying, I feel that it is poor form, but not against the rules.  The intrigue and fallout from "spying" is always entertaining to say the least.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #848 on: May 11, 2009, 01:51:20 PM »
NOE's are transparent enough and there is no need to make any changes to the dar system.  I have gutted many an incoming NOE mission in my trusty Wirbel with little or no help.  As far as spying, I feel that it is poor form, but not against the rules.  The intrigue and fallout from "spying" is always entertaining to say the least.

Must have been a crappy NOE raid you stopped.  And was probably a situation of "right place at the right time"

To be honest, I don't care if people want to run NOEs.  It doesn't bother me if they take some undefended base because I could care less who wins the war.  I just don't see a problem with someone using a poor form tactic such as spying to counter a poor form attack such as NOE.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:53:04 PM by grizz441 »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #849 on: May 11, 2009, 01:54:58 PM »
Imo running NOEs are somewhat taking advantage of the parameters of the game.  Like I said in my previous post, MA noe detection methods simply aren't transparent enough nor is there enough time to mount a reasonable counter attack.

As for spying, HTC allows you to switch sides once an hour.  Has HTC ever said spying is against the rules?  I'm not sure but I haven't seen it.  Is it bending the rules and poor form reporting in another team's missions?  Yes, but maybe in this particular case two wrongs make a right.

Ya' beat me to it Griz durn it.

Your own justification for why it is ok to hoard up and NOE undefended bases is why it is 100% ok for someone to spy on those missions and bust them.  HiTech has not made a rule against it so it is perfectly fine to do it. (though I do not condone spying.  nor would I condone what you and yours do either) 

Every argument you have made for why your behavior is 'acceptable' can be made for those busting your missions.  I find the irony hillarious.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:56:53 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #850 on: May 11, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
Must have been a crappy NOE raid you stopped.  And was probably a situation of "right place at the right time"

Hello Grizz,

I am talking multiple NOE's, not a single crappy one.  I am sure that there are some Rooks and Bishops that will confirm this for you.  I usually confont one or more per night.  While flying and driving I constantly monitor the map.  I keep track of what groups are operating where, and try to put 2 and 2 together with the map status.  Unfortunately, my 2 and 2 sometimes equals a 3 or a 5, you know... :lol

:salute

Way

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #851 on: May 11, 2009, 02:06:16 PM »
Hello Grizz,

I am talking multiple NOE's, not a single crappy one.  I am sure that there are some Rooks and Bishops that will confirm this for you.  I usually confont one or more per night.  While flying and driving I constantly monitor the map.  I keep track of what groups are operating where, and try to put 2 and 2 together with the map status.  Unfortunately, my 2 and 2 sometimes equals a 3 or a 5, you know... :lol

:salute

Way

So it takes a lot of effort and a good map reader to figure these things out.  Even so, a single wirble should not be able to stop an effective NOE raid.  You still need pilots willing to auger along with you to stop the raid.  The complexities in defending against DO NOT balance the simplicities of running NOE and succeeding in it. Bolded for truth.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #852 on: May 11, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »
So it takes a lot of effort and a good map reader to figure these things out.  Even so, a single wirble should not be able to stop an effective NOE raid.  You still need pilots willing to auger along with you to stop the raid.  The complexities in defending against DO NOT balance the simplicities of running NOE and succeeding in it. Bolded for truth.

You are correct Sir.  When I up and see them coming in I put out the Pig Call (insert loud squeal :lol).  I can usually have a handful of squaddies there within a couple of minutes.  If I can get within firing range of town with an intact turret and my squaddies get up behind me, then we have them put down cold.  NOE's are in my mind reserved for those occasions when you are outnumbered by your opponents.  If your country has numbers and you have a large number of pilots behind you, then up and fly right into the enemy's face and get it on!  Of course, then folks will complain about you coming in with altitude...<----will save for another discussion.

Way

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #853 on: May 11, 2009, 02:19:36 PM »
Every argument you have made for why your behavior is 'acceptable' can be made for those busting your missions.  I find the irony hillarious.

+1
 :lol
I said this when they first started croaking about it on 200.
-AoM-

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #854 on: May 11, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »
NOE missions are super easy to bust, and they get clobbered all the time.  All it takes is one LA-7 to come screaming out and go right for the goon, which is the Achilles heal of NOE missions.

Or if one person sees a base flashing without DAR they can be fairly sure an NOE is coming in.  All they need to do gain about 3,000 feet of alt over the base, of which there is ample time to do so.

Once that happens, the NOE mission is helpless.  They are low on the deck and can be picked off one by one with B/z attacks.  I've seen it happen countless times.

Base and town begin flashing once any element of the NOE is within dar range.  Your typical NOE will be 110's or Mossies, and that gives about 5 minutes of warning before they can get to the town.

In other words, the NOE is not some quirky part of the game that can't be foiled. 

If the win-the-war and land grabbing isn't your thing, NOE missions just are just boring as hell.  I mean you shoot some buildings and make a capture. 

As far as 'spying' is concerned, I don't believe it happens all that often.  Mostly because I think it is boring duty for the 'spy'.   Most people just want to play, and who really cares 'that much' about map resets, there is just another map to follow until eternity.

The reason there are no 'rules' against spying however, is because it is impossible to stop someone determined to do it. Even if cross country  comms between players was removed, how would you stop someone from calling their friend on a cell phone.