Author Topic: What do YOU consider the best fighter?  (Read 17904 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: What do YOU consider the best fighter?
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2009, 11:39:36 AM »
Like other slow fighters, the F4F and FM-2 face a serious problem, in that 90% of the fighters they encounter can disengage at will. A P-38, for example, can toy with a Wildcat, being able to get lateral and vertical separation with ease.

The only chance the Wildcat (F4F-4 or FM-2) has against the P-38 is to have a significant altitude advantage, which it can convert into speed to pin down a lower, slower fighter. However, it must get the kill before the P-38 gets the E states equalized.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »

Obviously, no one playing AH2 has ever flown one, but I have a gut feeling (as well as many other players) that the Spit16 is far more capable in AH2 that it ever was in the real deal.  I cant imagine taking off the wing tips are going to make THAT huge of a different in roll rate to the point of only being seceond in roll to the Fw190x, and a very close second at that.  But... HTC seems to be able to shrug off anyone challenging them on specifics.

I play battle of Britain 2 - wings of victory and it says the spitfire can not do a -G dive as the engines fuel system is fed by a carburetor is gravity feed so when you do a -g dive the fuel goes back up the fuel system and the engine starts to cut out. so they done split S's etc to then dive down...not sure if it applies to the spit16? but if it is, and was implemented in the game it would give them a bit of trickier time??
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2009, 01:07:16 PM »
Spit I yes. This was fixed in later models.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline macerxgp

• Copper Member
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2009, 10:55:24 PM »
I don't really have a favorite. For a while I was a student of the 190 series, and then I stuck to the Ki's. I tried using Navy fighters for a while but abandoned all but the FM2 for everything except close range, down and dirty fighting in the weeds or on the waves. I have taken quite a few SpitXVI's with it, and I even recall nicking a 163 with it once.

But the planes I really found myself using ALOT before I kinda just egressed from flying for a while (account is deleted, haven"t payed in months) were the P47, the Ki's, SpitIX (only when I couldn't decide, I used to despise spitfires), the Ta152H, and when I'm feeling frisky, the P-39. I love the guns on the P-39, it just feels fun. Plus it sounds better than alot of planes, which I think seem to use the same engine sound. But that might be due to similar engines.

As long as I was in a good fighting position, the 152 was a very comfortable bird to fight in. I actually tended to prefer it for low level dogfights for a while, and truth be told some of my experience from practicing in 190's carried over well. It can roll like nobody's business, let me tell you. A story I often tell about this bird, and any other that has a hub mounted MK108, is when I landed a tater up the tailpipe of a Yak at D800 down on the deck. I was grinning so hard I had to adjust the headset.

On a side note, I don't really like the P-51. I tried flying it at high alt, but it just felt sluggish. The P-47 definitely responds better way up there.
Quote from: Saurdaukar
Operational kettles in August 2009 exceed operational pots by approximately 142%.

Your comparison is invalid.

DeMaskus
357th-Death Dragons

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2009, 12:46:14 PM »
In terms of flying in AH, I'd say that the spit 9 has to  be up there, Why it's not  flown more often by the spit guys is beyond me, it's a great little plane that holds it's own. Has to be more fun flying it than the usual 16's and 8's
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »
Spit5 is also a blast. IMO it is the best Spitfire. It goes over 300mph, has very good cannons, turns on a dime, accelerates good, dives OK, climbs OK. Hell it rivals my 38 in my 2nd most favorite.
Strokes

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2009, 02:56:42 AM »
I may have missed it, but i am surprised that no one has said the Tempest.  If i remember rightly the Tempest usually holds a better k/d than even the 262.  Granted i don't think i would hold up in many 1 vs 1 fights, but as a hit and extend fighter i don't think there are many equal.  The guns, climb, speed and acceleration are awesome.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2009, 03:17:46 AM »
for straight up fighting  i'd take the Spit 9 or A6M5,   not many planes can trouble them unless they runaway and bring back two friends.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »
I may have missed it, but i am surprised that no one has said the Tempest.  If i remember rightly the Tempest usually holds a better k/d than even the 262.  Granted i don't think i would hold up in many 1 vs 1 fights, but as a hit and extend fighter i don't think there are many equal.  The guns, climb, speed and acceleration are awesome.

Tempest's have high K/D because they are largely used for picking... Down low, speed is excellent, as is acceleration. However, up at 10k, the Tempest has many potential enemies that out-perform it. At 10k, it ranks 8th in speed (among prop fighters), with the La-7 and 109G-14 only about 1 or 2 mph slower. The 109K-4, F4U-4, Spit14, 190D-9, P-51B, P-51D and P-47N are all faster.

Some of us have flown comparison duels between the Tempest and the F4U-4, La-7 and Spit14. All of these defeat the Tempest with relative ease in a Co-E, Co-Alt duel, regardless of who was flying what.

Because the Tempest has such as high perk price, they are flown quite timidly, or certainly without much risk. That is a significant contributor to its K/D score. The Tempest is probably the best at what it does best, but it's not the best fighter in the game.

(Edit): Besides, I've already mentioned what the best fighter in the game is... F4U-4. At any altitude from sea level to 30k, it's equal to or superior to any prop fighter in the game. No other fighter can make that claim.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:08:38 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2009, 12:21:16 PM »
Tempest's have high K/D because they are largely used for picking... Down low, speed is excellent, as is acceleration. However, up at 10k, the Tempest has many potential enemies that out-perform it. At 10k, it ranks 8th in speed (among prop fighters), with the La-7 and 109G-14 only about 1 or 2 mph slower. The 109K-4, F4U-4, Spit14, 190D-9, P-51B, P-51D and P-47N are all faster.

Some of us have flown comparison duels between the Tempest and the F4U-4, La-7 and Spit14. All of these defeat the Tempest with relative ease in a Co-E, Co-Alt duel, regardless of who was flying what.

Because the Tempest has such as high perk price, they are flown quite timidly, or certainly without much risk. That is a significant contributor to its K/D score. The Tempest is probably the best at what it does best, but it's not the best fighter in the game.

(Edit): Besides, I've already mentioned what the best fighter in the game is... F4U-4. At any altitude from sea level to 30k, it's equal to or superior to any prop fighter in the game. No other fighter can make that claim.

My regards,

Widewing

I am not arguing that it is the best in the game, just my surprise that it wasn't mentioned.   As i said, i know that it is not a good 1 vs 1 fighter, but it is fantastically suited to the MA gameplay style.  Being at 10k above a horde, i would rather be in the Tempest than the F4U-4.

Personally i am not a massive fan of the U-4 because it does not suit my playing style, i would much rather mix it up in the cannon armed C-hog than mince around in the U-4.  Saying that, i am not denying that it is probably the best all round prop fighter in the game for the majority of people.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline SkyFox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »
La-7, rofl.. well its deff a fun fighter imo :)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »

My regards,

Widewing

Ignoring the game modeling!     Do you  believe in real dogfight this huge F4U-4 with double weight and only 5-7% more power would out perform the K-4 ?

F4u-4                                                                   Me109k-4

Length: 33'                                                           29'   
  Wingspan: 41' 12.5 m                                             32' 
  Empty Weight: 9,205 lb                                         4,886 lb
  Max Weight: 14,670 lb                                          7,900 lb

DB605ASCM: 2,000 HP         
  Powerplant: Pratt & Whitney R-2800-18W                 DB605DCM: 1,800 HP
  Horsepower (each): 2100

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »
Pretty sure the 2800-18W generated in excess of 2500hp on Emergency Power (the 8W in our F4U-1A hits 2250 on WEP, IIRC).

The -4 also had that massive 13' diameter prop with four paddle blades, as opposed to the smaller three-bladed prop of the K-4.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2009, 08:02:50 PM »
Ignoring the game modeling!     Do you  believe in real dogfight this huge F4U-4 with double weight and only 5-7% more power would out perform the K-4 ?

In most respects... Yes.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-4-detail-specification.pdf

My regards,

Widewing[/url]

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2009, 08:06:30 PM »
Ummm...the F4U-4 does *not* out-perform the 109 K-4 in ROC or acceleration up to 250mph in AHII, and those are the performance measures most closely related to weight/horsepower. As you will know, thrust/drag defines top speed, and mass/drag plays heavily into zoom climb.

Second, the weight of a clean F4U-4 with 100% fuel is a little under 12,500 lbs. To get up to 14,000 lbs you have to take drops or ord.

F4u-4                                                                   Me109k-4

Length: 33'                                                           29'   
  Wingspan: 41' 12.5 m                                             32' 
  Empty Weight: 9,205 lb                                         4,886 lb
  Max Weight: 14,670 lb                                          7,900 lb

DB605ASCM: 2,000 HP         
  Powerplant: Pratt & Whitney R-2800-18W                 DB605DCM: 1,800 HP
  Horsepower (each): 2100

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:13:01 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."