Author Topic: What do YOU consider the best fighter?  (Read 17851 times)

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: What do YOU consider the best fighter?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 04:48:42 PM »
spit16? i think p38 better than spit16 at this part

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
P-39Q but i would prefer a P-39D-2 unfortunitly they stuck me with a mutt p-400's version of the p-39D-1.

Why do i like the 39?

It gives me wood every time i fire that cannon,is it the best cannon? no... but its MY cannon none the less.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:00:28 PM by BaDkaRmA158Th »
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »
F4U-4
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »
Just goota love f4u4 lovers in DA, and in MA they fly any other variant except the 4.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Anyone thats made out of wood!

:noid

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
F-15
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »
Now my question to you is what do you consider the best fighter? . . .
a fighter for aces high in general
N1K-2 for most versatility.

There are plenty of fighters that are faster, but those are generally less maneuverable.

There are plently of fighters that bring more ords to the table, but the N1K makes up in cannon for only carrying 2 bombs.

It has better range (especially with drop tank) than some of the 'point defense" type fighters (spits and LAs).

It basically gives you a chance to do whatever needs to be done in the "broader game".  A well balanced "jack of all trades" in my opinion.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »
"In the weeds" I love a Seafire or Spit 8.
My "standard" ride of late is the P-51D
If I'm cranky and wanna cheese people off it's a Tempest FTW
 :furious
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 08:29:34 PM »
Best overall is probably the F4U-4. Other planes may climb better, or turn better, or accelerate better, have better weapons, etc.... but the -4 really doesn't have any weaknesses. It's great at pretty much everything.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:34:02 PM by Fianna »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 09:14:02 PM »
Just goota love f4u4 lovers in DA, and in MA they fly any other variant except the 4.

That's 'cause you just can't go wrong with a Hog. :D

However while I think the -4 is the best, I actually prefer the 1A. She feels more stable when you burn the left wing down and leave the right, (IMO, burn left down to half of what you have in the right. I like 25% and 50% in FSO or when I have a long flight ahead, or 1/8 and 1/4 in the Mains/for short-range flight, respectively. Once I have my wings burned I switch to main tank until I need the wings) and I like having the extra gas in case my main tank gets holed. If I can break away and drop to cruise the wing tanks can almost always get me to the nearest friendly base.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
The best fighter is the Spitfire Mk XIV.  Yeah, there are some planes that turn tighter, fly faster, fly further, climb faster, roll better, carry more ord, or have more gun firepower... but nothing can compare when the total packaged ability is taken into account for air to air battles.  The F4U-4 is not an easy plane to fly and it takes far more experience and knowledge to fly as well it the aircraft is able. 

The Spit16 can all things very well.  The worst thing about the Spit16 is its range... and even then it can fly fo 30 min or so.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline bobtom

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
I personally think the -4 is the best fighter, well I think the whole series of hogs are the best fighters.  :D

Once you gain the experience to fly them, then they are the best.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:36:47 PM by bobtom »

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 11:22:59 PM »
As far as my own personal preference, I am stuck in a 3 way tie, between the P-38J, the P-47D-11(D-40 maybe if we need ords) and the Bf-109G6/G14. If you look at my scores, I alternate between these three every few months, and which I pick rides only on my mood that month.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 11:31:02 PM »
I think that in a 1vs1 fight, and with equal pilots, the F4U-4 is superior to the Tempest.  But at main arena altitudes, going fast, picking, extending, just generally killing as much and as quickly as possible, I go with the Tempest. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline theNewB

• Copper Member
      • http://www.greatergermany.net
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »
id have to say my fav to fly is Spit IX. For a big furball/horde def Spit V or VIII. and just for kicks cause no ones mentioned it and i like spits (hard to notice isnt it) best top fighter in game is...... XIV*   :P  im far to timid in it and shes not the most stable of gun platforms.

*let the nay-sayers rightfuly nay-say