Author Topic: What do YOU consider the best fighter?  (Read 17902 times)

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
Re: What do YOU consider the best fighter?
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »
Hello BnZs   :)

Thx much for ur quick response to my film request (BnZs vs Klauss), enjoyed ur film greatly especially how nimble the spit is.  Ur staying above the 38 was/is the smart thing to do.  TY  :aok
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline Castle51

• Copper Member
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2009, 01:04:37 AM »
I can't be the only one who thinks the F6F is a good all around fighter.
I'm not saying its the best but even after trying the F4Us and spits its still what I've made most of my kills in and I don't know, I guess it just gives me that warm fuzzy feeling deep inside.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »
F6F is a very good all round fighter, just not as good as the F4U.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »
In my opinion, the F6’s greatest advantage is its lack of a real disadvantage. The F6 can easily out-turn any plane slower than it, and is faster than any plane that can turn better. It has a great gun setup, it holds energy, stability, and not only does it absorb damage, it easily shakes it off. I know of many times fighting spitfires when I lost ½ a wing or two halves and I was still able to out turn and fight the other plane.  It also has a great time adjusting to almost any fight. Against something like a Spitfire, it can easily hold its energy and BnZ. If you want to dogfight you can easily put down flaps, hit WEP and just mix it up. I really have no fear stall fighting a Zero on the deck if I need to, or entering a 3-4 v 1. Against an F4U, the F6 has a large advantage in the vertical. Against a great F4U pilot, the F6 will lose in a luffbery, but as soon as you put the nose above the horizon the F4 will just struggle for air.
When I fly the F6 I know that I always have some sort of advantage over the other plane.

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2009, 07:27:08 PM »
The F6 can easily out-turn any plane slower than it, and is faster than any plane that can turn better.
I've heard this said for several planes in the game. Is there a fighter this isn't true for?
Wedge

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »
I've heard this said for several planes in the game. Is there a fighter this isn't true for?
Sure, the F6F among them.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »

yup  P51
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »

Its not even true for the F6F.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »
I just realized that I read that sentence incorrectly. The F6F out turns planes slower than it? I'm assuming F6Fraven meant to say faster planes.
Wedge

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
I just realized that I read that sentence incorrectly. The F6F out turns planes slower than it? I'm assuming F6Fraven meant to say faster planes.
He did, but he is wrong. There are several planes that are both faster than the F6F and turn better than the F6F.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Castle51

• Copper Member
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »
I think its absolutly hilarious when I'm flying the F6F and I run into one of the older spits or hurricanes with the 8 .303 machine guns.  Even after getting a perfect shot on me and opening up on me it just sounds like I'm flyng through rain or something and I come out unscratched.  Must really piss those guys off.                                

Offline FentFV

• Zinc Member
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2009, 09:30:57 AM »
109-K4 gets my vote, but this is from a fair-to-middling pilot.  My ACM needs a lot more work, so I opt for a plane that has one superior advantage (rate of climb in the K4) over others.  The K4's speed on the deck (I am an unabashed run-K  :)) allows me to egress if needed.  There are only a few dogged individuals that can make the extended chase.

Since practicing some rudder work, I've become a lot more aggressive in this ride at slow speeds.  I've outturned spits on the deck and popped up for a good tater-whacking when they try to pull the fight into the vertical.  Agent360's films are gold <S>, and I've found myself intentionally giving an opponent my 6 just to lure them into a fight (something I would've never done 2 months ago).  The massive engine also gives the K very high marks for building E when needed.

The obvious limitation is the tater-cannon itself.  It requires a good deal of patience to get the right shot.  But this has an advantage as well:  If you can accurately lob shots with this thing, using a bank of .50s becomes like using a laser sight.

Personally, I think putting the largest possible engine in the smallest possible plane was a darn good idea :)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:34:15 AM by FentFV »

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2009, 12:43:39 AM »
LA7-F4U-4-Spit9

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »

Personally, I think putting the largest possible engine in the smallest possible plane was a darn good idea :)

Vought had that same idea in 1938. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2009, 05:45:58 PM »
Still... in AH2, no other fighter is as capable as the Spit 16.  It does everything very well.  The one thing it is often over-looked as is a superb ground attack aircraft.  It can carry 1k or ord in 2/250lb bombs and a single 500lb bomb.  Not bad at all.  It accelerates like a banshee, turns with the best of them, it can go verticle with the best of them, it can dive quite well, it can roll with any 190, and it has ample firepower,... what cant it do as a fighter or fighter-attack aircraft?  Some with say the S[it15 is superior "up high" (and it is at 25k alt) and the Spit14 is faster (and it marginally is), but all the Spit16 has to do is treat the Spit14 like it is a P51D and the fight is over especially if the alt is less than 18k.         

No, it isnt a 350mph aircaft on the deck, but it hold E well enough to run with most aircraft for quite awhile.   

Obviously, no one playing AH2 has ever flown one, but I have a gut feeling (as well as many other players) that the Spit16 is far more capable in AH2 that it ever was in the real deal.  I cant imagine taking off the wing tips are going to make THAT huge of a different in roll rate to the point of only being seceond in roll to the Fw190x, and a very close second at that.  But... HTC seems to be able to shrug off anyone challenging them on specifics.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.