Author Topic: Any advantage in AH to get an I core 7 over an e8500  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Any advantage in AH to get an I core 7 over an e8500
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
Just curious. I know the i7 is a good chip but from what I understand you're only going to use 2 cores anyway.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
Re: Any advantage in AH to get an I core 7 over an e8500
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »
It's a great CPU, faster then the E8500 I'm sure, but for your question, no I doubt you will see any noticeable difference in AH since the E8500 already dominates AH.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:37:35 AM »
You're not serious are you?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:50:20 AM »
If you decide on the 920 I can get it for about $50 more then the E8500.    Not a huge difference in AH but in other area's you will notice a difference

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 01:44:13 AM »
Let me add this. I've heard you can assign different programs to different cores. So could you assign the sound to a certain core?

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:48:37 AM »
the i7 would trounce the E8500

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »
You're not serious are you?

I think he is, and could be right.  The core i7 is definetly a fast, poweerful processor and handles many tasks much better than an E8400/E8500, but in AH, the noticeable change is proabably slight (not worth the extra costs associated with the CPU plus the CPU itself).

Go look at benchmarks at tomshardware.com:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-2-overclock,2146.html (February System Builder Marathon or SBM) 

Also look at the two prevous months' Marathons as they compare the E8500 and the Core i7 to the most recent SBM, which uses the Intel Quad 9550.

Might also be worth your while to poke around on other tech sites to understand where the i7 REALLY excels and where its JUST a little bit better than a Overclocked Dual Core. 

AH won't use more than two cores anyways at this point, so the extra cores on the i7 wont really help alot, which is the main point.

Of course, if the extra $200-300 is not an issue, then you would proabbaly be better served going the i7 route as it is obvisouly the CPU architecture that will have the most longevity, and who knows, MAYBE AH (or other games) will push past dual-core use in the future....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:55:45 AM by Casper1 »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 08:58:08 AM »
I think he is, and could be right.  The core i7 is definetly a fast, poweerful processor and handles many tasks much better than an E8400/E8500, but in AH, the noticeable change is proabably slight (not worth the extra costs associated with the CPU plus the CPU itself).

Go look at benchmarks at tomshardware.com:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-2-overclock,2146.html (February System Builder Marathon or SBM) 

Also look at the two prevous months' Marathons as they compare the E8500 and the Core i7 to the most recent SBM, which uses the Intel Quad 9550.

Might also be worth your while to poke around on other tech sites to understand where the i7 REALLY excels and where its JUST a little bit better than a Overclocked Dual Core. 

AH won't use more than two cores anyways at this point, so the extra cores on the i7 wont really help alot, which is the main point.

Of course, if the extra $200-300 is not an issue, then you would proabbaly be better served going the i7 route as it is obvisouly the CPU architecture that will have the most longevity, and who knows, MAYBE AH (or other games) will push past dual-core use in the future....

I'm fully aware of the I7 and it's benchmarks, etc. but his question was "will there be a benefit in AH over the E8500".  Sh@t, the game doesn't even tax my E6750! 

I know Getback's already running an E8500.  Getback, answer me this; do you have issues playing Aces High with your E8500 now?  He already knows the answer to his own question and thus my initial response.

Now, if he's really asking "will there be a benefit with everything else outside of AH" then yes.  Go for it.

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
IM confused, LOL.  Who were you asking if they were serious?  AirFlyer or Getback? 

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »
IM confused, LOL.  Who were you asking if they were serious?  AirFlyer or Getback? 

Getback

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 09:21:33 AM »

I have immunity!  :rofl :rofl

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »
I do not have access to an i7 system, or I would test it.

Keep in mind Aces High II is more CPU dependent than most games.  If you bench the top 10 games, you are not going to see much difference in perfomance from an E8500 to an i7, for the simple fact that the top ten games are heavily vested in video card performance.

It is one of the largest fallacies of the WEB sites benchmarks when they are targeting CPU performance.  They fail to use a game which is vested in CPU performance!!  They have no clue what a CPU bound game is.

One day I'll have an i7 to bench the game with.  Right now, I cannot answer the question with any fact based certainty.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:43:32 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Larokkit

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 09:35:47 AM »
Skuzzy,
  I'll let Tildeth ship mine to you if you then ship it to me.
   I live in austin.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 09:40:32 AM »
Thanks for the offer Larokkit, but the lawyers would go stupid if we allowed it.  Liability and all that nonsense.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »
I do not have access to an i7 system, or I would test it.

Keep in mind Aces High II is more CPU dependent than most games.  If you bench the top 10 games, you are not going to see much difference in perfomance from an E8500 to an i7, for the simple fact that the top ten games are heavily vested in video card performance.

It is one of the largest fallacies of the WEB sites benchmarks when they are targeting CPU performance.  They fail to use a game which is vested in CPU performance!!  They have no clue what a CPU bound game is.

One day I'll have an i7 to bench the game with.  Right now, I cannot answer the question with any fact based certainty.

I see the light!