Author Topic: p38 dive recovery flaps revisited  (Read 3943 times)

Offline df54

• Copper Member
p38 dive recovery flaps revisited
« on: April 24, 2009, 05:28:03 PM »

1- auto trim  -
  off
   2- manual trim-set for straight and level flight 
   3- dive flaps extended.

No pitch up. Everything i have read states that with dive recovery flaps extended the nose would pitch up 10 to 15 degrees. Is this correct. If so why not in ah flight model

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: p38 dive recovery flaps revisited
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 06:23:14 PM »
The dive flaps are modeled correctly for the P-38L in AH.  Search for previous posts on this subject matter.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:46:48 PM »
It's only like 8 posts down.

-Zap

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »

1- auto trim  -
  off
   2- manual trim-set for straight and level flight 
   3- dive flaps extended.

No pitch up. Everything i have read states that with dive recovery flaps extended the nose would pitch up 10 to 15 degrees. Is this correct. If so why not in ah flight model

Dive flaps on the P38 when extended or when retracted have no effect on pitch as far as I can tell.  I there is a change in pitch when extending wing flaps, there is a noticeable change in pitch when wing flaps are extended or retracted.   
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »
Dive flaps on the P38 when extended or when retracted have no effect on pitch as far as I can tell.  I there is a change in pitch when extending wing flaps, there is a noticeable change in pitch when wing flaps are extended or retracted.   

There is also a nose up pitch when using the dive flaps. 

ack-ack

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:44:38 AM »
Cartoon P38G pilots don't need dive flaps! :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 06:36:38 PM »

There is also a nose up pitch when using the dive flaps. 

ack-ack

The problem, ack-ack, is that most guys deploy the recovery flaps after they are already too fast and too low or worse, in auto-trim. Assuming they are in manual trim, a 4g pull-out needs at least 4k altitude at 500 mph. So, they still auger.

What ack-ack says is true, the recovery flaps work as they should, but you need to be in manual trim and you need to get them deployed prior to the onset of buffeting so that you begin the pull-out before you go faster than 500 mph.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:38:35 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 06:18:32 AM »
I thought the P38 Dive breaks were similar to those on gliders - that pop up and disrupt airflow over the wing - slowing it down.  I know that the air-breaks finally allowed P38 pilots to chase after german planes who used to escape from 38s through steep dives. . .

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
I thought the P38 Dive breaks were similar to those on gliders - that pop up and disrupt airflow over the wing - slowing it down. 

Those dive brakes were dive flaps, a completely different animal.

The dive flaps on the 38 were designed to maintain elevator control, without them, in a high speed dive the air would move away from the tail and limiting control surface authority.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 01:55:13 PM »
LOL!  df54 still doesn't believe they work, so he's posted on the Ubisoft/IL2 forums instead.  What is even funnier is that most on that thread have no clue about the P-38.  One guy claims the L didn't have dive recovery flaps, another guy claims that they acted like speed breaks at low altitude.  Even Crumpp throws in his two cents (and as usual is incorrect).

quote:
With all sue respect to the AH people they are inherently wrong, no need to check history books, just a logic check; if the plane does not pitch up or does not slow down then how does it recover?

It depends and IIRC this is covered in the P38 POH.

If you put the dive brake down first and then dive, there is no pitch up. You never reach compressibility and without a configuration change we have no pitching moment.

If you enter the dive and then put down the brake you will get a pitching moment.

All the best,

Crumpp

Only one person in that entire thread seems to have a clue and the rest just don't seem very bright.

Offline Stryker

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:38:29 AM »
The dive flaps are modeled correctly for the P-38L in AH.  Search for previous posts on this subject matter.

if so, why do i still go into compressibility with the flaps down in the L? even diving with the throttle back
Lt Cmdr Gambit
The Aggressor Squadron
65th AGRS, 57th ATG
"Terror In The Skies"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »
if so, why do i still go into compressibility with the flaps down in the L? even diving with the throttle back

Because you're not deploying them at the correct time.  There is nothing wrong with the dive flaps, if anyone has issues with the dive flaps, it stems from operator error.

ack-ack

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
LOL!  df54 still doesn't believe they work, so he's posted on the Ubisoft/IL2 forums instead.

Why'd you have to post that, Ack-Ack? Being a link, I inherently had to click on it...now I feel such pity for the WWII world.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 03:54:37 PM »

The dive flaps aren't a guarantee against compression either, even without throttle nose low the 38 is going to pick up speed real fast. Try cross controlling/side slipping in addition to diving... if you find yourself compressing often, you need to re-examine how you are flying the 38.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 04:09:06 PM »
I don't do much research, however I do know a little about the 38L's dive flaps. They were never designed to slow down the plane, only disrupt airflow where it was thought to be the most compressablility occuring so that airflow over the tail could be restored to a point that the plane could pull out of a high speed dive.

There is always the possiblility that I'm wrong, but they don't act any other way in the game either.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old: