Author Topic: Ho's and ropes  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: Ho's and ropes
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »

Avoid Ho's at all cost!

Most ho's are on the initial merge because the ho will never stick around long enough to fight or will disengage to set up another ho.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Nose to nose is a HO whether roped or not.  I am not passing judgement, as it matters little to me.  If I have a survivable gun solution I will take it.  I suggest that you do the same while in the MA's.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »
I take no quarter in the main arena, that is unless I’m 100% sure the enemy is a good stick and is willing to use “1v1 rules”.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 11:42:03 AM »
When roping, I look out the back and wait to see his plane shudder (he's fighting to keep that little nose pointed up).  As soon as i see this, pull full flaps and roll it over.... By the time I get there, his guns are pointed at the ground and his six is D200 or less.

I had someone say I ho'd him two weeks ago, when I followed him up a rope (I was Ki84, he was P51)... he misjudged my climb, stalled, rolled over and pointed at me under 200 ( I still had 175 IAS)... I already had 50 rounds of 20mm out the guns on the way.  He went boom.  Then called me a ho shooter.

I had to laugh.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »
I dont mind any fellow taking any shot on me he can get.  Thats the game.  The only thing I try to avoid, with any regularity either way at least, is the ram. 

Sometimes cant be avoided but I try.  Thats what I consider good form.  Bad form is being a whiner.

In my opinion, if you had the shot and declined to take it...for whatever reason, then you screwed up
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 03:10:28 PM »
Some interesting opinions - given whats been said, I need to learn a bit more patience, not loop over so quick and let them stall out properly, then kill them.

Thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Did I screw up by not taking the shot, probably, but ya know, I had fun in the fight and avoided taking a shot I wasnt sure was clean.

Thanks for the replies gents,

:salute

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »
This is something that I (for some reason) got concerned about. When roping a plane and you loop back over the top, and he's still on the way up, but obviously not going to catch you - would that count as a ho?

Asking as I got into a fight with someone in a f4u, roped and declined the shot on the way down (subsequently lost, but thats not important) - got asked why I didnt take the shot that was there, which would have won the fight (well, had I hit with it anyway  :D). Curious as to opinion on whether this was a ho or not basically. The guy I was fighting was of the opinion that it was a valid shot just fyi.

Dont need a flame fest, just opinons

I've always been hesitant in taking this particular shot (not sure why, just have been) so thought I'd ask.

Thankeee in advance,

Wurzel
If you took the shot regardless if it was right or wrong, it would have not been up to your personal standards. So don't sweat it. Some play for the kill, some play for the fight. <S>
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »
I say we ban the word HO. seems to me it causes more trouble than good. j/k , or am I.  If you follow a plane vert, and start to stall. Just

say oops, when the bullets come raining down. Dont go on 200 and call them a hoer to save face. :aok

Iv'e gone up the ladder guns blazing too. Just don't get mad if it turns out bad.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 03:55:52 PM »
If you took the shot regardless if it was right or wrong

When is taking a shot right or wrong

In your opinion.....of course?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 04:05:01 PM »
Not a HO. They have no control over their plane, and they are just blind firing.
What gets me is, the people that wait untill you are just about to stall, then pull up to HO you, isn't their any other move that you can do?
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 04:25:41 PM »
It's a HO if you are in a spit only  :aok :aok

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 05:09:19 PM »
 :D :D :D Guilty as charged Shreck - but you already knew that  ;)

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »
Come at me head on and I will HO you. If you don't like it, make a 180 degree turn and make it easy for me. Its a completely valid tactic. remember if you lose... DBBTMS

Infidelz

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:48 PM »
Some interesting opinions - given whats been said, I need to learn a bit more patience, not loop over so quick and let them stall out properly, then kill them.

If you do this they are often going to  be able to avoid you. Time your reversal so that they stall as you get a gun solution.This way they cannot evade. In other words, begin to come back down before they stall.  If you find you 've started to come around too early cut throttle to keep from rushing down at them.... maybe drop flaps to keep flying. It's a matter of timing.

Two very short films for demonstration:

http://www.mediafire.com/?z2wmwznyd4j

http://www.mediafire.com/?jwtim3mztu5

Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 05:21:01 PM »
Its a completely valid tactic for noobs.

Infidelz

not really, but one can continue to hope they develop the skills to actually learn to fight.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve