Author Topic: Some Ta152 flying.  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Nisky

• Copper Member
Re: Some Ta152 flying.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
I noticed in the film with the f4f that u hit with a tator on the wing tip and he just kept on flyin. I wonder if that is a glitch in the film viewer or not.

I have hit spits in the engine and they only get an oil leak. I have hit p51 's right behind the cockpit and they take no damage it seems.
just talk about random stuff but please stay on topic

Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
I don't remember hitting the F4F with a 30. It's most likely a glitch from changing the movie's playing speed.  I've seen dud 30mm in odd places though, like yours. If you get those, try and post them in this thread.. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,258664.0.html
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Brentlo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 10:51:04 PM »
Moot, Krust

Thanx for the reply's.  I will checkout wiki.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 02:18:54 AM »
A couple more.

Timing the throttle in a barrel roll. The target came in higher and faster, so it's not hard to make him overshoot - but this is an ok example of slowing yourself down only enough to get yourself a solution. Not so much that you're left dead in the water if you miss, or so much that the bandit recognizes you as such, and could easily be tempted to zoom out of your reach for a completely dominant position.
Another 1:1 with a better turner coming in from higher/faster, starting defensive and working your way to a counter attack.  The killshot's another example of how stable the 152 can be if you ride the edge smoothly enough.  The throttle stays off for too long, though.  It was over-estimating the risk of the 109G6 leading the fight into scissors or barrel rolls, which it's more capable at than the Ta152.  The intent was to get a head start on slowing down for those scissors/barrels, to match the G6's naturally tighter weaving/rolling.
A 2:1 fight versus 2 tempests.  They're not flying the tempests to their full potential, but it's an ok example of managing a fight.  How to "herd" two guys who are taking chances (instead of playing it safe, e.g. genuine loose deuce), into giving you shots.

These next ones are linked to in the AH Wiki article, but I'm linking them here in case anyone reading doesn't know about the wiki article..
An example of pushing the rudder at just the right time, to catch a target flying tighter than you can match.
Another example of this, only at really slow speed and flying up. You have the benefit of flying against gravity which allows you to slow down faster, and benefit from the momentum of a hammerhead-ish reverse's momentum.  This is comparable to the first film in this post.  You're blending your shots into where the plane naturally wants to go.
Using the rudder at high speed to guide yourself to a fast snapshot.
Airbraking the 152 with the rudder in a sort of fishtailAnother example of the same.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 03:19:32 AM »
A couple more.

Timing the throttle in a barrel roll. The target came in higher and faster, so it's not hard to make him overshoot - but this is an ok example of slowing yourself down only enough to get yourself a solution. Not so much that you're left dead in the water if you miss, or so much that the bandit recognizes you as such, and could easily be tempted to zoom out of your reach for a completely dominant position.
Another 1:1 with a better turner coming in from higher/faster, starting defensive and working your way to a counter attack.  The killshot's another example of how stable the 152 can be if you ride the edge smoothly enough.  The throttle stays off for too long, though.  It was over-estimating the risk of the 109G6 leading the fight into scissors or barrel rolls, which it's more capable at than the Ta152.  The intent was to get a head start on slowing down for those scissors/barrels, to match the G6's naturally tighter weaving/rolling.
A 2:1 fight versus 2 tempests.  They're not flying the tempests to their full potential, but it's an ok example of managing a fight.  How to "herd" two guys who are taking chances (instead of playing it safe, e.g. genuine loose deuce), into giving you shots.

These next ones are linked to in the AH Wiki article, but I'm linking them here in case anyone reading doesn't know about the wiki article..
An example of pushing the rudder at just the right time, to catch a target flying tighter than you can match.
Another example of this, only at really slow speed and flying up. You have the benefit of flying against gravity which allows you to slow down faster, and benefit from the momentum of a hammerhead-ish reverse's momentum.  This is comparable to the first film in this post.  You're blending your shots into where the plane naturally wants to go.
Airbraking the 152 with the rudder in a sort of fishtailAnother example of the same.

*note to self - stay clear away from moot's guns.
Squash

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 04:51:45 AM »
A couple more.

That second link dont work.
Thanks alot for these, very enjoyable but in the same time, very scary to watch  :salute
-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 05:20:29 AM »
Second link should be fixed, here. It's the same as I linked in that GD topic.  I'll post the fuller version later.  The fight only gets going after I carefully bait the G6 off a squaddie.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 05:40:03 AM »
Thanks, really awesome footage there.
I really would like to be able to pull something like that out of the hat once in a while, but seems like my bag of tricks is still quite empty  :salute
-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 06:20:12 AM »
One thing I've noticed in a lot of disciplines, either sports or where you're using a tool.. There's two things, actually:
One - Like I said further above, anytime you're using a tool, the best way to use it is to make it part of your own body. Don't consider it like something foreign and opaque.  Pretend it's an extension of your body.  e.g. When you're driving a car at full speed, you're part of the car.  The tires are the skin of your feet, the chassis is your legs, the engine your muscle.  It's the same with planes in this game.  Don't think too hard about what to do with these machines. And don't approach them as though you had to fight with them, to get them to do what you want.  Just like a good joystick setup, you need to have it so you forget it's there, so you're free to focus on SA.  Racing cars, the analog is forgetting (consciously, at least) about the car and focusing on the racing line through the corners, and other cars if there's any.
Similarly, in racing you're always thinking about the next corner, not the one you're in.  In dogfighting, IMO, you should be thinking about the next move.

Second - don't be pessimistic.  This is something I've seen not just in sports, but in any discipline where you're having to either compete or have to perform at your best.  Just thinking positively (and I don't mean faking yourself into this state of mind) makes a very significant difference.  Many times I've seen people who could do as well as I was doing... But simply didn't believe they could do it. That undermines what you can do. It's a needless restriction, especially in a game where the worst that could happen is falling off your chair (somehow) - no torn ligaments or flying thru a windshield if you screw up. Often enough... Being in a great mood and a corresponding audacity will break your records and sometimes totally change the way you consider the subject of your efforts.

So don't sweat it if you want to fly really well in this game.. None of the stuff I do is really extraordinary. Most other players could do it too.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:42:29 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 08:09:35 AM »
Good advice, i will surely take that into consideration and try to change my mindset.
I have noticed, that if im in a really good mood and having a blast with my mates, i can win a fight that in some other day is utterly impossible for me.
Pessimism, lack of skill and creativity usually i try to compensate with beer, but that works for weekends only  :devil

I am not sure, but i think our paths have not crossed yet in MA M00t, but i surely would like to have a opportunity for a few 1v1´s with you sometime.

-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Brentlo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
Thanx for the new examples.  What are you getting so good in that thing that you are starting to handicap yourself by flying with drop tanks as in film82_sideways.ahf?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 03:19:46 PM »
Not exactly :)  I was trying out the DT+25% to see if the more forward COG than 50% was any interesting advantage.  I'm pretty sure I'd just forgotten to drop it for that fight.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Brentlo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 09:04:12 AM »
So what is your conclusion on your COG study?  Should I try out that configuration?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »
It's a really small difference, I'm not sure it's worth worrying about till you've got everything else down pat. :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Brentlo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »
Pretty funny mr. moot.  I do have need for improvement in so many ways--will not sweat the small stuff.