Author Topic: Tunisia scenario patch  (Read 17151 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Tunisia scenario patch
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »
As always, I was guesstimating on the size of the text. Would you say it needs to be 2x as large on my particular example? 50% larger?

I ask because it affects the geometry of the sky as well as the size/placement of the B-25 in relation to the text. I think I need to tweek some things.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 01:49:50 AM »
It's hard to tell, because the way thread affects resolution isn't exactly reproducible by just reducing the resolution.

However, what I'd do is this.  Make your artwork.  Change the resolution to be 100 pixels high or wide (whichever is bigger) and save it that way.  Then take the saved file and resize it however you like so that it's 3" corner to corner and see what it looks like by eye.  If there is text that is starting to get unreadable or objects that start to look like blobs instead of showing the detail you want, then I'd suggest making them bigger.

Also, you can look at the past patch scans to judge how text of different sizes looks.  I wouldn't go smaller than the smallest text we've used so far -- that's probably about the limit.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 10:02:08 AM »
I am not concerned with "Old Ironsides" being readable.  It is a recognizable shape and patch.  As long as those are there it represents what it is meant too.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »
Fencer...love the actual badge look. I agree the kangaroo should be a bit smaller though
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »
Fencer...love the actual badge look. I agree the kangaroo should be a bit smaller though

Can't make things much smaller, guys, or the thread will not be able to handle fine details (like ears, paws, etc.).

Please see this page and especially the Operation Husky patch.  That patch looks OK, but it took me many, many iterations with the patch company to get it worked out -- the little planes are too little.  We can't do things that small and get the shape of outlines to look right.

http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/patches/patchDesigns.html

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 06:06:32 PM »
It is NOT a Kangaroo, it is a DESERT RAT.. 8th Army.. The Desert Rats!  ROC.. I blame you! (points)  :rofl

Updated

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:12:44 PM by Fencer51 »
Fencer

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »
I lean to Krusty's design. The unique shape and idea is striking. Many patches from the military are shapes other than round. Of course some are not.

Here are some real ones that I have personally worn. (for shape illustrations only)

and A roundish is:

Just my opinion. Both are worthy but, again, I lean to Krusty's design.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
Fencer somehow I knew that would push your buttons  :rofl :rofl

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »
I'm working in higher resolution, but down-sizing when I upload pics so that you get a better overall idea of it (and can see how it looks more patch-sized).

I did in fact have to make the text larger, taking the suggestion of downsizing then upscaling. I also had to rearrange the text slightly to better lay it out on the border. I think it still flows well. I chose a different font mostly for spacing/placement issues.

tunisia4a

tunisia4b (flames changed per request)

EDIT: I suppose I could put "Dawn of Battle" on top, but "An Aces High TM Scenario" wouldn't fit very well. I know the stitchers can fit a lot more than the font choices I have available to me will allow, so I'm not too worried. It's an aesthetic option.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:03:45 PM by Krusty »

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »
I had held off commenting on Krusty's design because I put forth my own.  He has had no problem commenting on mine, which is just fine.

I am uncomfortable "critiquing", but I do have an opinion and that is all it is my opinion.  The patch to me represents the worst thing about the event, bombers carpet bombing vehicles.  That's all I see when I look at it.  I see nothing representing the event itself, the fighers, the LW bombers, just the worst part for the GV guys. <shrug>

I was asked to come up with one, and I hope others are working on their own and will post them soon.
Fencer

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
Looks nice with the darker flames.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2009, 08:32:11 PM »
I respect your feedback Fencer  :aok

No patch design can (or should IMO) have every single aspect of every player's experience in it. There's only so much room and way too much to cram into it. Like your design, for example. You took the elements you felt would convey the feelings or memories associated with the real events. I've done the same steps, but with different results.

No offense taken if it's not your cup o' tea!

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »
I'll admit that I have had differing ideas with Krusty in the past, but his design, IMHO, and his points are worthy. I especially like the "B" model.

What "if" we did a compromise, and just a suggestion, really small fighters facing HO at a banked angle below each of the bomber's wings (thus) \ / and then put a little spritz at the end of each tank barrel to denote it firing or maybe a short thin line with a dot at the end resembling a round. There seems to be a pointy thing even at the barrels denoting a shock wave. (may not carry thru to the patch though)
I think tunisia4b is awesome in color and design. The text, I'll let someone else consider as I am mixed on what line goes where!   :confused:

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 02:54:29 PM »
It is NOT a Kangaroo, it is a DESERT RAT.. 8th Army.. The Desert Rats!  ROC.. I blame you! (points)  :rofl

Updated

(Image removed from quote.)

Glad someone called them out on it, we're rats, and proud of it!

I love the interstate shape btw.

So does anyone else have any patch idea submissions, or are we settling down for a Fencer vs. Krusty patchoff?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Online Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 03:16:53 PM »
Glad someone called them out on it, we're rats, and proud of it!

I love the interstate shape btw.

So does anyone else have any patch idea submissions, or are we settling down for a Fencer vs. Krusty patchoff?

Afrika Korps are not "desert rats".  The British 8th Army is represented by the "desert rat".
Although as you know, Rommel was known as "the desert fox".  slight difference in appearance from a desert rat, but both images can appear to look like a Kangaroo from afar.       :)
Time's fun when you're having flies.