Author Topic: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"  (Read 14677 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"
« Reply #450 on: May 18, 2009, 05:56:16 AM »

You ignore the fact that popularity and even k/d are not shaped by the actual performance values of the aircraft.

BnZ, geez man, talk about ignoring facts to cling on to straws, I already explained this to you.  When popularity is HIGH, say >10,000 kills/tour, the K/D is an accurate representation of the actual performance values of the aircraft in the MA environment.  Since the Spit16 does not have a high K/D, yet has HIGH popularity, the plane is not dominating.  Maybe it's just not as good of an MA plane as YOU think it is.  These numbers don't lie.

So...having a popular plane that is faster than 70% of the fighter set

You also say this with such vigor as if 70% is even a high number.  It really isn't considering the 30% that are faster are some of the most popular rides in the game.  P51D, La7, 190D9, K4, Typhoon, F4UD, F4U1A, Fw190D9.  All faster, incredibly popular.  The only planes that are popular that aren't faster are the Zero and the N1K2.  So for all intensive purposes, the Spit16 is a slow plane compared to the bulk rides being flown in the MA. 

Concede defeat at any time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:10:52 AM by grizz441 »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #451 on: May 18, 2009, 07:30:26 AM »
I have no idea what your motivation is, but I do know it has nothing to do with wanting to improve game balance or the fun of arena play, but my guess is that it is something that would let you kill more and live more.

HiTEch

Dale ... It might have started about the Spit 16 but it went beyond that ... it's not about the Spit 16 anymore.

He is so deeply invested in this argument and if he were to admit defeat ... his self-proclaimed super intelligence would called into question (after pointing out that other reputable sources aren't quite up to his standards - even HTC's) and that is something that his character will not allow.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:32:07 AM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:43 AM »
Nah hitech, he rejects your premise that perking/eny should be based on usage numbers or extreme popularity.  I can understand that much even if I don't agree with everything he says.

You might want to read this again ...

and then try play word games to define unbalancing.

HiTEch
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2009, 08:02:53 AM »
BnZ, geez man, talk about ignoring facts to cling on to straws, I already explained this to you.  When popularity is HIGH, say >10,000 kills/tour, the K/D is an accurate representation of the actual performance values of the aircraft in the MA environment.  Since the Spit16 does not have a high K/D, yet has HIGH popularity, the plane is not dominating.  Maybe it's just not as good of an MA plane as YOU think it is.  These numbers don't lie.

Like the other popular planes, its stats are watered-down by the number of inexperienced pilots flying them. Or do you now think the P-38J/Ta-152's K/D superiority means they are better? Thousands of kills per tour there for each, not exactly a rare "fluke" result.

The only planes that are popular that aren't faster are the Zero and the N1K2.  So for all intensive purposes, the Spit16 is a slow plane compared to the bulk rides being flown in the MA. 

P-38? P-47D? Fw-190A? Ki-84? F6F?

Do you ever consider the possibility that people in the LW MA seem to always take speed-demons OR uber-turners because the SpitXVI so out-classes most everything in the middle of the speed/maneuverability continuum?

Now the 325mph N1K, that is "slow" for an LW MA plane. That which cannot turn with it can extend for the most part.

Then there is the HurriIIc, although it doesn't really count for my purposes, having a good turn radius advantage over the XVI. It *is* interesting to point out that it is fairly popular in the MA (so much "irrelevant EW relics") *and* has one of the higher K/Ds (so much for the validity of K/D...by that measurement, it is better than both the P-51D and SpitXVI...and considering it is slower than an iron toad, so much for "speed is everything").
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:36:26 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2009, 08:16:04 AM »
that is something that his character will not allow.

People who argue through invective, and then react like I've run over their puppy when I return the favor should not be lecturing anyone on character.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2009, 08:36:49 AM »
People who argue through invective, and then react like I've run over their puppy when I return the favor should not be lecturing anyone on character.

Invective ? ... too funny ... when someone pulls the covers on you, your excuse for self-promotion and pomposity is because your "returning the favor" ... nice try.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2009, 08:46:39 AM »
You might want to read this again ...

Quote from: hitech on Yesterday at 06:10:03 PM
and then try play word games to define unbalancing.

HiTEch

Nature abhors a vacuum.  I'd love to hear HTC's definition of unbalancing.  So far, it seems like it has something to do with popularity, but I've never seen it written explicitly: "unbalancing means such and such..." and it would be presumptuous of me to put words in HT's mouth.  ;)

The F4U-1C is the example story we tell, but that's only one case of perking because of popularity.  There might be other reasons for perking, too. (I'm not requiring that "unbalancing" be only one thing)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:50:36 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #457 on: May 18, 2009, 08:48:29 AM »
the planes I fly eat spit16's for lunch and use splinters from dead la7 fuselages to pick its teeth afterwards. :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #458 on: May 18, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »
Invective ? ... too funny ... when someone pulls the covers on you, your excuse for self-promotion and pomposity is because your "returning the favor" ... nice try.
Yeah, go re-read your first reply in this thread...then tell me about who flung the first bucket of mud.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #459 on: May 18, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »
Yeah, go re-read your first reply in this thread...then tell me about who flung the first bucket of mud.

Here is my first post ...

<yawn>

That's a "bucket of mud" ? :rofl
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #460 on: May 18, 2009, 09:04:22 AM »
Here is my first post ...

That's a "bucket of mud" ? :rofl

Yes, it is a disrespectful comment. I went to the trouble to look some numbers up and post them, you could at least  say "I was unaware of those numbers..." or "I was aware of those numbers but..." or, probably best of all, keep your teeth together.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #461 on: May 18, 2009, 09:10:05 AM »
That's pretty minor as far as shows of disrespect go here at the bbs.

When someone argues for an unpopular opinion here at the bbs, up to 50% of the replies are "disrespectful" to outright insults.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #462 on: May 18, 2009, 09:20:17 AM »
Yes, it is a disrespectful comment. I went to the trouble to look some numbers up and post them, you could at least  say "I was unaware of those numbers..." or "I was aware of those numbers but..." or, probably best of all, keep your teeth together.

It wasn't a comment ... it was a reaction ... and if that sparks your ire then that explains a lot too.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #463 on: May 18, 2009, 09:26:17 AM »
Hey what's that sound?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #464 on: May 18, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
Hey what's that sound?

Sounds like this thread is fix'en to get locked!
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher