Author Topic: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"  (Read 14684 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »
And you would be very wrong in that guess. I kill and live enough, thank you.

Lighten up. I have expressed my opinion that this is the best WWII flight sim (and explained WHY it is better than the closest competition) on numerous occasions on this very forum. Questioning one aspect of the MA does not equal an attack upon your masterpiece. Everyone who asks questions is not your enemy, and the sycophantic are not necessarily your friends.

Nice attempt at a straw man argument. You have twice now tried to attribute my motivations to something that has not been written or implied by me.  I have stated nothing about friends not friends, I have only stated that so far your arguments has been invalid. (invalid definition is that your premises do not support your conclusions).

So drop the spit 16 argument for a moment, and state only what is your goal in doing any change to the current perk values with out naming any plane type. Once you have clearly stated your goal, with out referencing any plane, people can then use real facts to see if changing the spit 16 current state will or will not achieve your goal.

2nd I can then state if your goal is worth trying to achieve or not. Obviously if I do not agree with your goal, then any argument in trying to achieve it is moot.

Because in this thread to date, your goal has been to perk the spit 16, and you have been choosing facts to achieve this goal.

HiTech

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »
So drop the spit 16 argument for a moment, and state only what is your goal in doing any change to the current perk values with out naming any plane type. Once you have clearly stated your goal, with out referencing any plane, people can then use real facts to see if changing the spit 16 current state will or will not achieve your goal.

He has in many other threads.  BnZs believes that perking/eny should depend on the performance/abilities of an aircraft relative to the rest of the planeset, i.e. even if the P-40B made up 40% of kills + deaths, it should not be perked.

I'd say his point of view doesn't really have a goal, it's more a principle of deliberation where you let the chips fall where they may.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
The XVI is too slow to be perked.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2009, 10:37:06 AM »

Then explain the F4U-1C? :confused:  From 2k-11k ft the XVI is faster than the 1C, that's the sweet spot of main arena altitudes.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2009, 10:39:07 AM »
yuppers.... :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #470 on: May 18, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »
Then explain the F4U-1C? :confused:  From 2k-11k ft the XVI is faster than the 1C, that's the sweet spot of main arena altitudes.
the c was perked because it had an unbalancing effect on the gameplay.   The spixteen does not....matter of fact..I see many using the 9's, 8's and even the 5's these days because they handle better. :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #471 on: May 18, 2009, 10:44:55 AM »

You are a very bad man.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #472 on: May 18, 2009, 10:45:16 AM »
We're going in circles again. :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2009, 11:09:03 AM »

Do you ever consider the possibility that people in the LW MA seem to always take speed-demons OR uber-turners because the SpitXVI so out-classes most everything in the middle of the speed/maneuverability continuum?

I considered it, and dismissed it.
Why?
Prior to the XVI they were hoards of La7's, the MA's ultimate 'free' speed demon.
La7 usage has dropped markedly, not increased, since the XVI introduction.

Of course you will argue they are flying the XVI now, to me thats a good thing.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »

at the time the c hog was perked it was the A10,F16 and B52 of the MA :)

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #475 on: May 18, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
the majority of planes the 16 faces everyday either, out runs it (51,d9,Tiff/temp,la7,F4Us),
out guns it( all i mentioned, and A8, 110g, P47s, P38s,F6), or can out turn it (some F4Us, Zekes,
hurricane IIC, and other spits).  16s are used alot in point field defence. Once in a fight the 16 can
not get out of the fight without  either killing the other or dieing, because its not faster
than majority it faces.

and 1 major factory u havent mention as to why its good, because we in MA fight at the alts it was designed
to fight in. low alt TnB

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #476 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15:42 PM »
You are a very bad man.
he's french ya know :p

as a side note for the noobs not knowing ,I'm too :D

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #477 on: May 18, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »
Whels, the 16 is probably the safest plane to be in if your objective is to indefinitely dodge everything.  In the crucible of a furball, pretty much everyone of those planes is restricted to their strengths if they want to survive. 
It's an F4U with gobs of hispano ammo on one of the most stable platforms, with the best flaps and excellent rudder authority, good visibility, and flies off CVs.  Carries slightly above average ordnance.  That's why it was over-used and consequently perked. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:12:35 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #478 on: May 18, 2009, 03:03:34 PM »

2nd I can then state if your goal is worth trying to achieve or not. Obviously if I do not agree with your goal, then any argument in trying to achieve it is moot.

HiTech

Thanks for the question. I made a post in this very thread that neatly sums up what I think in regards to what constitutes a fair "balance" in regards to different plane types:

If we imagine an arena set with three planes in it, say the P-51D, SpitXVI, and a HurriIIC (thought I'd throw in an "irrelevant" EW/MW plane), which one would I consider perk-worthy? Answer: NONE. All of these planes have at least on clear advantage over the others in relative performance. If we were to introduce the La7 to this set, I would say perk it, because at typical MA altitudes it would enjoy almost complete superiority to, and strongly effect the viability of, a very large chunk of this set, namely the 25% of this set that is composed by the P-51D.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #479 on: May 18, 2009, 03:10:41 PM »
Fair to who? I'm fine with it the way it is right now.

Ren