Author Topic: Two Questions....Ping and ch ALL or 200  (Read 475 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Two Questions....Ping and ch ALL or 200
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
When I first log in I see the arenas I can choose from and just to the right of that is the ping. it used to say 46 and now it says 98. What ping is best and why has it changed?

When I go to the DA and type on 200 can people see my text if not tuned to 200 or do I need to be typing on the ALL channel?

If I type on ALL can 200 people see my text? Answer to this is Yes I think.

Whats the dif between Ch 200 and typing on ALL?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Two Questions....Ping and ch ALL or 200
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
When I first log in I see the arenas I can choose from and just to the right of that is the ping. it used to say 46 and now it says 98. What ping is best and why has it changed?

Your routing has changed. Your packets now have a longer rout / need more time to get to the server. That's nothing you or HTC has a direct influence on. Actual routing is done by your provider.

A ping of 98 however, is nothing to really worry about, as long as your connection is a stable one.

When I go to the DA and type on 200 can people see my text if not tuned to 200 or do I need to be typing on the ALL channel?

Only who has tuned to 200 can read 200

Yes. ALL, when enabled, will be read by everyone

Whats the dif between Ch 200 and typing on ALL?

A long time ago, ALL was enabled in all arenas. When it was disabled in the MA, CH200 was used as a replacement by the players still wanting to have a general cross-country channel.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:55:12 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:54:15 PM »
<snip>
<snip>

Yes if and only 200 people are in the arena and haven't squelched ch1.
Yea I know, it's a 100% wise guy answer.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »

I feel your pain, my ping recently went up by about the same margin as yours.  I hate Comcast.  I hate Comcast.  I hate Comcast.

Did I mention that I hate Comcast?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:05:11 AM »
I'm in the same boat with comcast many calls and no help. The only problem is that is my only choice. I would go DSL if I had it in my area.

Is there a way to turn all chat off? I hate seeing all that  BS talk. I only want to know what is important to the mission or the game,not peoples BS. It would take me a hour to squelch all the BSers.
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:17:26 AM »
I feel your pain, my ping recently went up by about the same margin as yours. 

Does any problem result from having 98 instead of 46?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:20 AM »
Is there a way to turn all chat off?

No. Only thing you can do is not tuning to 200, squelching selected players and simply try to ignore the rest ;)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »

No, I didn't notice anything different. Was booted just once but that could be anything. Game play is still smooth cept for the part that I'm forced to use the onboard vid card for now.

My provider is AT&T and using their DSL

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »

No, but I don't think the 96 is the limit.  In the past month I get massive frame rate drops once in awhile.  I'll drop from 60fps to 8fps for a few seconds.  Never used to have that problem, started noticing it about the same time I noticed the ping being higher.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »
I don't think the connection would hamper your frame rate like that. Check resources, is AH using close to 100% when its running[ assuming single Cpu]?
When nothing is running does the cpu usage cycle from 0 to 2% regularly? Higher than that 2% means you have other stuff running in background.
A relatively quick way to test if it is resources is to lower the texture size you use and see if that helps at all. If it does, optimize your resources.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 12:58:38 AM »

When you begin seeing really high ping rates expect to see some warping every once in a while. Warping is a star trek thingy where one second the guy is right there in front of you and the next he's 4k away then the next he's behind you.  In the old days the guys would sometimes leave a trace line of their warps. Hence the term from Star Trek. The deal is it takes too long for the packets to go from your computer via your provider out in the internet to the games server and back, and/or it can drop packets, as in gone forever in the ethernet of the internet.

When it gets bad you will start seeng a lil message telling you your link is switching to UDP or something like that. Sometimes you end up on the desktop wondering why. Other times your computer ends up self recovering and you conitnue in the game like nothing ever happened.

Hope this helps.

Ren
Aces High Training Corps