Author Topic: Why so few people?  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Why so few people?
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
another country heard from! mostly they left because they get out-flown, out-manuevered, and out-gunned by one squad in particular.

everyone just hates losing to the same guys. so they leave, so be it. god forbid we should try to get better rather then run and cry.

the idea is to get people back in the arena, my jaded friend, not point out short comings. there are plenty of those to go around with everyone, myself included. So lets keep it positive.

maybe skuzzy should think about locking up this thread, as its becoming a bashing thread..........again, as usual!

Rethink the "who's bashing who".   I haven't and a couple others haven't.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2009, 08:52:34 PM »
I'll take exception to this part of that post since you insist on being a child. You were one of the folks who kept insisting that there was some sort of altitude limit in the AvA when I flew in there regularly a while back. You were part of the problem. Maybe you have since stopped doing that. I hope so. Because it keeps people out of the arena.

And you keep trying to say that I was the one causing the problem. It is a plain and simple attempt to deflect blame from yourself.

Just because you do volunteer work for the AvA it does not give you extra privileges of any sort. In fact, it demands a higher standard of behavior, not a lower standard.

I am disappointed that Oldman used your volunteer work in your defense. That does not bode well.

An arena that is trying to build a following needs ambassadors for the arena not prima donnas parading around trumpeting the sort of stuff you post on this forum and the sort of things I have personally seen you express in the arena.

Oldman seems to be backing you and your continued childish behavior. I understand he is grateful for the help but he is missing a major point. He would find lots of help that don't constantly parade a "Hey, look at me" sign if he made polite and positive behavior a pre-condition of being a part of the AvA team.

If I were the player running the AvA there would be no excuses for your behavior and would distance myself as far as possible from you unless you decided to become someone who worked for what was best for the AvA and the game instead of narrow self interest.

But it seems that your work in the arena excuses your behavior instead of making that work pointless. So I'm beginning to think I'm wasting my time here. I know with a certainty that if your behavior is acceptable as part of the AvA team then I could not and would not be part of that team.

Dawger, first off, Larry has been here for a long time. Rarely does he have a negative impact in anything he does in the AVA. He has no more bad days than anyone else. In fact, I can say with some certainty that Larry has always been a stout promoter of the AVA ( even back when it was more appropriately called the CT).

The very things that you disagree with to some extent has been born in and by the CT of old. We had a code (unwritten, but nonetheless). It is hard to let that go. There was alot of good in it really. It promoted fights.

Now, as for Oldman....Oldman has been and will continue to be the backbone of the AVA. He has always championed the idea and cause for this arena. I think you need to suck back ten yards and punt on that one.

If you have some constructive ideas, get them out there. Cease the finger poking and pointing. You left the AVA of your own accord. I refuse to believe a 22 year old young man could drive you from the arena.

Now, if you have some ideas to put out,lease do. The AVA is after all an arena made for the players and run by the players.

We have had enough bashing here. How about helping us build instead?

Just my humble $.02

RTR

The Damned

Offline antivortex

• Copper Member
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »
Well guess what... when that certain group isn't in there, no one else is either. Catch 22, take it or leave it but stop whining.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:15:45 AM by antivortex »
See Rule #4

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
Well guess what... when that certain group isn't in there, no one else is either.

funny how that works..........  :huh   

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2009, 08:31:17 AM »
another country heard from! mostly they left because they get out-flown, out-manuevered, and out-gunned by one squad in particular.

everyone just hates losing to the same guys. so they leave, so be it. god forbid we should try to get better rather then run and cry.

the idea is to get people back in the arena, my jaded friend, not point out short comings. there are plenty of those to go around with everyone, myself included. So lets keep it positive.

maybe skuzzy should think about locking up this thread, as its becoming a bashing thread..........again, as usual!

Again this highlights the true underlying issues and problem. Its conduct not combat that rests at the heart of the matter. Gather enough people consistently and most of the other issues will sort them selfs out if overall player conduct is reasonable. It so happens that Oldman and I ran into each other in the MWA over the weekend. Absolutely a wonderful fight (he got a well earned pelt at the end :salute) that met every measure of a "good fight" in any arena and other then plane matchup (38 vs F4U) would have fit well in the AvA.

The "smack talk" exists else where as well. My 1st sortie was "up north" since that was where the red was. After a few kills things had devolved to me and 4 red guys. As I looked for the exit sign cobia sprayed my 38 as I looked to egress, wasnt really a HO as much as a your coming my way frontal hosing from a bit of alt during a reverse to chase me. Of course a 1 ping PW is the norm there isnt it :furious :)

I end up on the deck with a spit 109 cobias A-20 and a pony in tow....have enough E to stretched the spitty out far enough for him to lose interest. At this point both cobia and the 109 pop up high so I apologize on 200 for scooting do to PW....as I get done typing I need to break into the pony, which I reverse and kill....so of course both the A-20 and 109 have dove back in (just waiting on pony to force things). I reverse the 109 and would have popped him if I hadnet blacked out. Recover when I come to and evade/reverse the 109 again....to get picked by cobia.

So I take off from field we were running to figuring they'll give me a few k coming out of ack....nope. 109 dives in right as I clear the runway so I reverse back thru and cobia dives in as soon as I clear other side. I easily evade his pass and light him up on climb out but dont kill him. Avoid his second pass but dont have the E to finish him and he hammers me on the reverse....

Since I'm not going to get a reasonable fight I go elsewhere...and of course get the taunts on 200 (not aimed at me specifically) about the "2 plane horde". The simple reality that while both cobia and elfy (109) are good sticks they to have devolved it seems. In the MA's you just move on and leave them to whine...in the AvA you log. I'd have upped till they ran out of ammo or I won if they'd given me any real chance for a decent fight. This isnt just an AvA issue but its an issue the AvA cant overcome as easily.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
It would be nice if you guys identified your squad in your sig so that people would know that there might be reason for bias when you defend each other. :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
Again this highlights the true underlying issues and problem. Its conduct not combat that rests at the heart of the matter. Gather enough people consistently and most of the other issues will sort them selfs out if overall player conduct is reasonable. It so happens that Oldman and I ran into each other in the MWA over the weekend. Absolutely a wonderful fight (he got a well earned pelt at the end :salute) that met every measure of a "good fight" in any arena and other then plane matchup (38 vs F4U) would have fit well in the AvA.

The "smack talk" exists else where as well. My 1st sortie was "up north" since that was where the red was. After a few kills things had devolved to me and 4 red guys. As I looked for the exit sign cobia sprayed my 38 as I looked to egress, wasnt really a HO as much as a your coming my way frontal hosing from a bit of alt during a reverse to chase me. Of course a 1 ping PW is the norm there isnt it :furious :)

I end up on the deck with a spit 109 cobias A-20 and a pony in tow....have enough E to stretched the spitty out far enough for him to lose interest. At this point both cobia and the 109 pop up high so I apologize on 200 for scooting do to PW....as I get done typing I need to break into the pony, which I reverse and kill....so of course both the A-20 and 109 have dove back in (just waiting on pony to force things). I reverse the 109 and would have popped him if I hadnet blacked out. Recover when I come to and evade/reverse the 109 again....to get picked by cobia.

So I take off from field we were running to figuring they'll give me a few k coming out of ack....nope. 109 dives in right as I clear the runway so I reverse back thru and cobia dives in as soon as I clear other side. I easily evade his pass and light him up on climb out but dont kill him. Avoid his second pass but dont have the E to finish him and he hammers me on the reverse....

Since I'm not going to get a reasonable fight I go elsewhere...and of course get the taunts on 200 (not aimed at me specifically) about the "2 plane horde". The simple reality that while both cobia and elfy (109) are good sticks they to have devolved it seems. In the MA's you just move on and leave them to whine...in the AvA you log. I'd have upped till they ran out of ammo or I won if they'd given me any real chance for a decent fight. This isnt just an AvA issue but its an issue the AvA cant overcome as easily.

are you talking the midwar or the AVA?? im not quite sure what you're getting at??

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2009, 09:37:33 AM »
Well guess what... when that certain group isn't in there, no one else is either. Catch 22, take it or leave it but stop whining.

i'm not asking for a certain group to stop playing in the AVA, i'm asking for some people to try and have some self control.  I had been in the AvA for 30 mins and i received remarks on 200 from 2 members of jg54, it felt like that the attitudes in the AvA were just the same as i left it.

For gavagai :)-
MA squad: the few
AVA squad: thrila's thrilas
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:39:30 AM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2009, 09:50:10 AM »

Knock it off already.   The "mob mentality" is not needed.    Jaeger and Larry are capable of dealing with what was said earlier.   Regardless of that, the flames were fanned.   

Stay on track and try to provide solutions, if you cannot, leave it be.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2009, 10:02:17 AM »
It so happens that Oldman and I ran into each other in the MWA over the weekend. Absolutely a wonderful fight (he got a well earned pelt at the end :salute) that met every measure of a "good fight" in any arena and other then plane matchup (38 vs F4U) would have fit well in the AvA.

...I...er...I think you were probably engaged with Oldman22 (the guy from Jackson, MS)....I mean, I don't remember being in MW over the weekend...and I THINK that for sure I'd remember getting a kill on you, because I don't believe I ever have....

...I'm getting so old, so fast...

But I like that people are starting to comment about AvA things we can fix.

- oldman

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »
Those events were in the MWA. My point is conduct specific. When I fly I normally pick the low side and head toward the biggest patch of red. In this case that happened to be up in the A19 area on the map (MWA) at the time. After the sorties described above I could either

a) up from A35(?){think thats the base across the water I was egressing toward and where I upped the 2nd time}.
b) up from A19 or another base trying to go find them
c) find another fight

I would have given an upper a bit of alt to work with, not just dove in as soon as the guy got clear of the ack bubble. By choosing not to give me any reasonable chance for a good (not fair) fight they gave me a choice. Then just a few moments later they are on 200 taunting/whining because they don't have a victim/target. To me this goes back to everything I've tried to talk about in these threads. You need to be willing to nurture the fight. If they give me a chance to up then maybe someone else sees action and ups also and a little furball evolves.

Instead for whatever reason they chose another course of action. Now either I need to up away from "the action" and find them or look for a new fight or just decide to continue to up from that field. Its a fine line between giving a guy a chance and shutting down the only game in town you have. I elected to go elsewhere and found some good fights. The quality of the opposing pilots didn't factor in to the decision loop, only they're conduct....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
...I...er...I think you were probably engaged with Oldman22 (the guy from Jackson, MS)....I mean, I don't remember being in MW over the weekend...and I THINK that for sure I'd remember getting a kill on you, because I don't believe I ever have....

...I'm getting so old, so fast...

But I like that people are starting to comment about AvA things we can fix.

- oldman

Whoops, was oldman22 I think:)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »
ok so lets play this in a nutshell:

1. everyone hates JG54
2. nobody flies AVA because of JG54
3. JG54's smacktalk drives away everyone from the AVA
4. JG54's conduct drives people away
5. Larry's posts keep people out of the AVA
6. JG54 has no right to post on the BBS because everyone hates them and the posts drive everyone out of the AVA
7. limited planesets drive people away
8. smacktalk on 200 drive people away
9. its my $14.95, ill do what i want! if i want to dive in on a 1V1 i will!-- drives people away
10. not enough players in the arena drives people away
11. the mainstay players of the AVA are delusional by thinking theres nothing wrong with the AVA
12. the mainstay players of the AVA have a need to individually stamp approval of the AVA and that drives players away
13. the AVA is not for skill-less tards so it drives people away. they cant fly the way they want to.
14. nobody responds to you when you do come in. feels like a clique, so that drives players away
15. nothing functionally has changed and that drives people away
16. reading the posts in the AVA forum drives people away
17. read the posts in the AVA and you instantly know where the problem is and that drives people away
18. XXXXXX knows more of whats wrong with the AVA then anyone that flies it, but wont give the answer and that drives people away
19. the name of the AVA drives people away
20. the axis always has the Advantage and that drives people away
21. the people saying theres nothing wrong with the AVA "are" the problem with the AVA and that drives people away
22. Larry posting in the AVA forum is what drives people away (yes thats twice)
23. Larry is a 22 year old kid and that drives people out of the AVA
24. Oldman defending larry keeps people out of the AVA
25. the mindset of the people that pay to play this game is driving people out of the AVA
26. Larry had done more to run people off out of the AVA then anyone and thats driving people out of the AVA
27. Everyone is in GV's and that drives people away from the AVA
28. higher than thou attitudes that a certain group in the AvA has that runs players off and that drives people out of the AVA
29. when that certain group isn't in there, no one else is either and thats driving people out of the AVA

hows that?? pretty close??

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »
Far from it, with me.   I just would like to see more "integrity" from the ENTIRE Aces High Community.   Without it, we have nothing to build on.   

"A tree is only as strong as it's roots."   

Humble, Larry, cap, and others.  Let's cease the finger pointing and see if there are things we can do, to improve the situation.   It seems we're moving one step forward, only to take two steps back. 

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »
Throw my two cents in here, I go in for the fight in terms of plane match up, I find it refreshing to not be hoed or ganged by 16's and lgays, there just something about that appeals to me, I like the feeling I get when I'm tooling along and see a lone P38 or such and then it's gametime, I think to myself "ok Tunes, it's one guy on his own, you can do it" sometimes I win and sometimes I'm back in the tower, but it's great fun and I personally think the fights are harder in there, there's some good sticks in there and I like to fly against them, In the MA you don't really get that chance as it's mostly one turn then a dive to friendlies or ack, hoping the bottom feeders lurking at 1k in the usual uber rides will get you.
I've never seen the likes of thrilla, Deldalos, Cavalier, shuffler etc run to the ack, those boys will take you on and fight you and that's what keeps me going in, if I am able to get a kill on one of thosew guys then that to me is better than landing 6/7 in the MA. Because I earned it. I don't get involved in the politics or anything else, I just like to fight and learn,  There really is a stack of good sticks that fly in there and I would recommend anyone looking to learn to come in and fight, forget the politics and egos, just fight and fight and you'll improve in there after a few fights what would take you days and days in the MA. On a personal note, I've never once been trashed by anyone when shot down by them or indeed when I shot them down, instead I've had things like "good fight" 'nice try" etc So anyone thinking of going in just think about the great fights you'll get, sometimes they're over fast (Just don't underestimate a con flying on his own, they're on there own for a reason, they want to kill you! :)) and don't assume your higher that you've got easy pickings either! So whatever your preference is (Luftwaffe keeping the Allied horde back from the Fatherland, or the USAAF Captain on a bombing run, or maybe an IJN Pilot fresh out of training and looking to avenge a Tokyo raid) you will have lots of fun and you will learn quick or die!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:59:36 PM by iTunes »
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c