Author Topic: What we need are some What If planes  (Read 10348 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: What we need are some What If planes
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
:lol  Something tells me you suck at the game.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »
Post your sources and make an argument out of that list.

Source: Messerschmitt 210/410 Hornisse - An Illustrated Production History. Peter Petrick and Werner Stocker.

Argument: Your previously posted list was not correct.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2009, 01:47:18 PM »
:lol  Something tells me you suck at the game.

Really?

Well, I guess you're right at the moment since I haven't played for several months. The 110G is a killer if flown right; the 109's were getting boring.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2009, 02:01:59 PM »

Notice how the two Bf110's have  almost as many fighter kills as all the P-47's, and about half the kills of all the 190's and La-5/7.

It's a killer if you know how to fly one. I guess you don't. :)

-Gandhi

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Notice how the two Bf110's have  almost as many fighter kills as all the P-47's, and about half the kills of all the 190's and La-5/7.

It's a killer if you know how to fly one. I guess you don't. :)

Something tells me that most of those kills are from vulching in the course of NOE smash n'grabs....the arena is not chock full of pilots like Dastardly tooling around in 110s.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2009, 02:14:23 PM »
Something tells me that most of those kills are from vulching in the course of NOE smash n'grabs....the arena is not chock full of pilots like Dastardly tooling around in 110s.

Speculation.

-Gandhi

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
Despite all those kills, which i agree are predominantly obtained form vulching, the 110G has a surprisingly abysmal k/d.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2009, 02:18:29 PM »
No. With more guns, more weight and more speed the 219 is clearly the superior B&Z'er. That's what made the P-47 great, guns, speed and inertia. Not power loading or wing loading.

Uh, wasn't a *critical* advantage of the P-47 for a2a the power it was still producing at very high alts when other planes were running out of breath? I mean, just going by the AHII charts, at 30K the P-47D-11 and D-25 are climbing as well as the G2 and G-14 and are much faster.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2009, 02:21:45 PM »
Despite all those kills, which i agree are predominantly obtained form vulching, the 110G has a surprisingly abysmal k/d.

Not surprising when you consider it is a very popular Jabo. Jabo's always get their k/d's skewed due to the deaths incurred in air-ground combat. The actual air combat k/d ratio is therefore impossible to determine.

-Gandhi

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »
Speculation.

Informed observation, I've seen how 110s are and are not used in the game.

110 would probably be a quite popular fighter plane if it had a little better performance,dive qualities, and/or didn't tend to depart so badly when wallowing around in the stall. But that is not the case.

Note, I'm not against adding the planes in question, I'm just pointing out that the stats here are deceptive.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2009, 02:24:54 PM »
Uh, wasn't a *critical* advantage of the P-47 for a2a the power it was still producing at very high alts when other planes were running out of breath? I mean, just going by the AHII charts, at 30K the P-47D-11 and D-25 are climbing as well as the G2 and G-14 and are much faster.

Most of the fights weren't at 30k, but at 20-25k. The P-47 excels at diving B&Z attacks; nothing zooms like a P-47... Well, a He 219 might. ;)

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »
Informed observation, I've seen how 110s are and are not used in the game.

110 would probably be a quite popular fighter plane if it had a little better performance,dive qualities, and/or didn't tend to depart so badly when wallowing around in the stall. But that is not the case.

Note, I'm not against adding the planes in question, I'm just pointing out that the stats here are deceptive.

The 110G is a killer in the right hands. Just trust me on this one. ;)

-Gandhi

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2009, 02:28:51 PM »
Most of the 110 sorties that are flown are about as far from 'the right hands' as you can get.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
Most of the fights weren't at 30k, but at 20-25k. The P-47 excels at diving B&Z attacks; nothing zooms like a P-47... Well, a He 219 might. ;)

Even at 20K the performance difference is not nearly so pronounced as it is lower.

And quite a few aircraft zoom "like a P-47"...at low altitude, where the Jug is at a power-loading disadvantage. The P-47 is not the "slickest" airframe. All that turbocharging plumbing on the belly is just a big heavy drag on the deck.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:33:57 PM by BnZs »

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
Even at low altitude the P-47 out-zooms almost everything. I think the only planes that are better zoomers  at low alt are the Tempest and F4U-4, though I'm not sure.

-Gandhi