Author Topic: Some ideas to discuss  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: Some ideas to discuss
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »
The other aspect to remember regarding fuel burn rate is that even if the terrain is half scale the vertical axis is full scale, ie it still takes a lot of fuel to climb out.  So a half scale terrain and fuel burn rate of 2.0 is not equal to a full scale terrain with fuel burn rate of 1.0.

That has been my objection to higher fuel burn modification factors since 1997. Thanks for posting it :)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »
Fuel burn should be as close to the fuel burns in reality as possible in any arena remotely concerned with history. That's what I think.

Historically, enemy fields weren't 15 miles apart from each other...  :rolleyes:

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2009, 08:24:37 PM »
By the time they actually got into a fight they weren't flying will all that fuel. In BoB the German fighters had very little time to fight before they had to turn back.

Only they had to fly and fight with over 50% in those tanks at the TIME of combat. They weren't hovering on 5 gallons left, performing manuvers that make weather balloons blush.

Again, AvA is about historic matchups, but NOT recreating historic events. Never has been. Never will be. Can't compare to the real thing. Have to take into account the EFFECTS such settings have on the overall gameplay, and IMO 1x fuel burn leads to some of the gamiest fighting I've seen. Only thing worse (on my private scale of bad things) would be to up the ammo multiplier.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2009, 09:48:15 PM »
I enjoy the challenge of balancing fuel load with the assignment. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2009, 06:17:21 AM »

Again, AvA is about historic matchups, but NOT recreating historic events. Never has been. Never will be.

And you would know this how?
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2009, 09:19:33 AM »
Btw,

Another thing I asked about was if it was possible to have AvA setups saved on the server and which rotate automatically.  With the CM tools we have now, this is not possible, but I think it would be fun.  A lot of the time AvA setups run too long; a new setup every day would be fantastic.

As for ack lethality, people running to ack is the flip side of seeing enemy aircraft lazily playing in your AAA as you roll down the runway to begin a new sortie.  There's only a difference in degree between vulching and expecting someone to fight the moment they pull up their gear when you're up on a perch.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »
That is why auto ack should be .25 and maned ack should be 3.0. This stop people from running to ack and make it harder to vulch.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »
How would that work?  I'm not a very good shot with the 37mm, but when I hit with it in the main arena the enemy fighter goes "poof."  Making it more lethal wouldn't seem to change anything.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2009, 10:03:06 AM »
Wasnt talking about lethalaty with the maned ack. I was talking about hardness.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »
Wasnt talking about lethalaty with the maned ack. I was talking about hardness.

Ok, that makes more sense.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2009, 11:13:37 AM »
 had ack set to .5 for Okinawa and it seemed to work out ok. There were a few complaints about people running to it (because there's ALOT of ack to run to on that map) but it would take a good number of hits for the ack to do major damage.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2009, 11:21:11 AM »
but it would take a good number of hits for the ack to do major damage.

Not all the time. I went into the ack after a milker the other day and first ping gave me a pilot wound.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
Yeah Larry that happened to me once too, but for the most part I thought the ack setting worked out pretty good.

I remember when it was set to 1.0 for an Okinawa setup once...what a mess  :confused:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2009, 05:52:20 PM »
Yeah Larry that happened to me once too, but for the most part I thought the ack setting worked out pretty good.

I remember when it was set to 1.0 for an Okinawa setup once...what a mess  :confused:
Happens to me a lot more than not in there.  PW, Oil, Radiator, Gun... Rinse Wash Repeat cycle.
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/