Author Topic: Acer...  (Read 603 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Acer...
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:19:51 AM »
...Is so nice,  ". . .and you should use it according to the user manual, please." :D

Now that I have that outta the way, I just wanted to say I joined the big monitor association.  Took 3 years of using a 17" LCD that has seen Heck, and had a "few" troubles.  Went ahead and got a 22" Acer X223W, and dang it's so nice.  I can see cons now!  No more "Where is he?"  "400 off your right wing!"  "Wher...Ooooh there *boom*".

Quick delivery from Newegg, as always.  And despite some reviews saying it has dead/stuck pixels, I got a good un.  Flimsy base, but I may wall mount.
I just wanted to brag. :P

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:37:12 AM by 1701E »
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Acer...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 01:08:03 AM »
I have an Acer 24 and it is sweet! My son was looking at lcd TV's one day with his girl friend. When he spied a 24 inch LCD he said to his girlfriend, hey my dad has a 24 inch flat panel. She said that was ridiculous. Later he relayed the story to me. I told him to tell her that ridiculous is fun! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 02:52:09 AM »
A word of warning about Acer brand computers, especially laptops.. Very VERY weird networking related problems detected in practically all of them.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:57:50 AM »
I beleive he's talking about the monitor alone.
After a couple of years using an aging CRT the was having problems reading text even at lower resolution settings. We just picked up the same one from NewEgg for my wife.

Nice crisp display
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 10:10:12 AM »
I bought my 20" Viewsonic (2007 ~ $220) to use side by side with 17" Hercules Prophetview (2004 - $500).  Worlds of difference from what at the time was one of the best LCD's on the market.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »
1701..how much was it..and just HOW MUCH MORE has it helped you to see the cons??examples please.. :rock

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
A word of warning about Acer brand computers, especially laptops.. Very VERY weird networking related problems detected in practically all of them.

Links please.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »
1701..how much was it..and just HOW MUCH MORE has it helped you to see the cons??examples please.. :rock

Amazingly only 150$, I am not use to good cheap monitors, the 17" we bought was in the mid 200$ range.  Then again that was 3 years ago at BestBuy.

Gotta say it is nice, after playing some AH on it, the visual upgrade is well worth it.  Went from not seeing dots 6K away on a VGA 17", to seeing dots well beyond that with great clarity on this DVI 22".  Can ask Airflyer, I use to not be able to see cons without an Icon, yesterday I was able to ID a Bomber from 8K away and 3K below me (Easy to recognize a B24). :D

May not be the best one ever made, but I would defiantly buy another one when if I had the money. :)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 04:43:34 PM »
Links please.

-Llama

There are no links to enterprise knowledge of hundreds of devices lol. Talking from experience.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 07:37:22 PM »
True story, though it was amusing.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 08:24:42 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but does a larger monitor affect the video card. The only reason i ask is that mine ( video card) is low end, and have been thinking of getting a larger monitor.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 08:59:36 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but does a larger monitor affect the video card. The only reason i ask is that mine ( video card) is low end, and have been thinking of getting a larger monitor.

I believe so. Seems to take more resources for the resolutions.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 09:21:29 PM »
A jump from 1280x1024 res. to 1680x1050 gave a me a slight Framerate hit in AH, fixed with slight OCing.
Other games, more GPU demanding took more of a hit, F.E.A.R. 2 took a very large hit, for instance.

So yes, higher resolutions hit performance some.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 09:34:26 PM »
A jump from 1280x1024 res. to 1680x1050 gave a me a slight Framerate hit in AH, fixed with slight OCing.
Other games, more GPU demanding took more of a hit, F.E.A.R. 2 took a very large hit, for instance.

So yes, higher resolutions hit performance some.

That is true too about the oc. I noticed that when I OC'd it really helped.

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 11:25:55 PM »
There are no links to enterprise knowledge of hundreds of devices lol. Talking from experience.

Ah. You mean anecdotal evidence. Got it.

Googling all sorts of combinations of "Acer," "network," "networking," "problems," "common," and "widespread" come up with nothing different than any of the other major manufacturers.

There are at least 10 Acer computers in use by my clients, and other than making sure their Atheros wireless drivers in Vista were manually updated to something newer than early 2007, I've never had any problems with them. Given how Acer doesn't actually manufacture the networking chips themselves, I wouldn't expect them too.

But anyway, should you stumble upon credible, published reports of widespread networking problems with Acer hardware, or even forum discussions about the problem, I'd love a linky.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171