Author Topic: I crave more competition!  (Read 8295 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: I crave more competition!
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 12:11:08 AM »
Why not just fly challenging aircraft? That will make the fights seem more challenging. Since you are so much above the level of competition, try BnZ-ing in a P-40B or TnB in a FW-190 F8.

I checked your kills for the current tour:
Kazaa
Total kills: 380
Kills in perk planes: 252
Kills in un-perked planes: 131
Kills in Spit XVI: 65

It is a good point Caldera but Kaz can fly anything extremely well, purely looking at stats is sometimes folly until you've fought the guy for hours on end.

Would be nice to have koth and an SDL match every week.  So far these events are hosted by volunteers who do it out of their spare time for little or no reward.  Maybe HTC can give more incentive to hosts.  Or participants.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:35:35 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 02:22:53 AM »
It's a slippery slope, Kazaa.

The intardnet world is filled with countless "gamers".

The only thing keeping many of these "gamers" away from Aces High is
1) The learning curve
2) The lack of level system
3) The No-Grief PvP (do not get confused with Zangief PvP, which is frankly awesome if you've played Street Fighter 2). You get killed, the victor gets nothing, the loser loses nothing.

There are thousands of teenagers out there who have lacking real life social skills, yet have the ultimate resource (time) to be able to invest into any game that can make them feel more valid as a person. Part of the blame is on society, where of course ugly looking teenage dorks get absolutely nothing valuable in the real world, so they turn to games. As it should be. But part of the blame is also on the rest of these online gaming communites, that actually value someone's inherent worth because they have a frickin number next to their name. "Man this guy is level 27, gotta watch out"

What a joke! And yet WoW, Eve, and all other elf games thrive on this type of system. As a game designer, you'll never know the true level to which your program can be exploited until you provide some "measurable" satisfaction to the victors, because, as stated earlier, there are thousands of gamers willing to be that victor because in some small way it will validate their pathetic lives.

Aces High, do not introduce any further recognition for good gameplay. Yes, it's a good way to attract a younger, and more socially helpless population. But to maintain good fights between people who care about history, less recognition is more. We know who the good pilots are already.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 02:24:22 AM »
Why not just fly challenging aircraft? That will make the fights seem more challenging. Since you are so much above the level of competition, try BnZ-ing in a P-40B or TnB in a FW-190 F8.

Kazaa

I知 not looking for a challenge per se, more competition is my goal.

"I would love to see HTC introduce something like World of Warcraft痴"
If WoW is such a great fun game whay not stay with it? My grandson plays it and I think it sucks
some of the  lanaguage I hear coming from that game and  kids use in the game is atrocious.
I would certainly hate to see AH turn in to a gamers game. Just leave it alone and have fun or leave
the game.

Plus I hate playing any game that has as much AI as WoW does even AW sucked with it AI IMO.

I知 not trying to turn AH2 into WoW, that part about my post was just an example of a really great system which gives people a chance to play on a truly, large scale, competitive level. I知 not sure why your ranting on about AI.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:26:10 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline 475FG Savlan

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.475FG.com
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 02:33:34 AM »
...Hitech needs to still do something to spark and keep interest in the players that have been here for awhile anything is worth a try atleast once.
<S>
While I agree with the sentiment, I feel that Hitech & crew do their job better than no others around in the goal of sparking interest in the players.  HTC has provided us with tons of toys to play with, constantly improving and adding to the sim.

HTC provides us with the playground, and all the toys.

Its up to us to use our imaginations and do more than the usual thing we do that has us in a rut ( whatever that may be ).  We are the ones who need to try at least anything once

I submit that in general, most players dont want to invest the time to truly get better and get past a point in their learning curve. This is why in a 400 player arena you will find 300 of them divided amongst a handful of low ENY cannon birds.

If you are bored in AH...

Get into different planes. There are so many!
Fly one month for score - the next month fly for k/d ratio - the next fly with your hair on fire! :)
Do a tour as a buff. Buffers, do a tour as a fighter.
M/A guys, try a historic scenario, and vice versa
And everyone should try tanking if they havnt...its fun:)
Try furball lake in the DA once in a while:)
Get a bud and try a few 1v1's. Then playback the fights in the film viewer to see how you won/lost, and why.

Each and every vehicle requires you to hone a specific skill set for improving yourself. Im a decent P38 pilot, but I suck in tanks...and I have a blast once in a while upping a few and diying repetedly...and slowly getting the knack of em too. Challenging ones self goes a long way towards relieving boredom. 

Some folks sound like spoiled kids -  surrounded by tvs, computers, dvds, a house with a backyard...and they are 'bored'.  I tell them that at their age as an only child I played with trying to set ants on fire with a magnifying glass,  made a sword out of a switch to duel with imaginary bad guys and made paper airplanes. I guess this explains why I was so patient flying Warbirds for years & waiting on updates :D

Ill wager that the stats will prove that those who are bored are victims of themselves and their own lacks of imagination...just like said kids above.

But back to the topic....a new arena set up as proposed can do no harm, and I welcome it if there is enough interest to merit HTC setting one up. And Im a die hard, history buff, pretend P38 pilot, who values his cartoon life and tries to survive each sortie:)

Consider it just another toy for the toychest:)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:35:05 AM by 475FG Savlan »
PUDGY
475th Fighter Group - Satans Angels
www.475FG.com

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 02:44:17 AM »

Kazaa

LMAO... good one.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 09:09:24 AM »
Ok while the OP arguement seems to come across as a bit extremist (dropping the e-sport word which is probably one of the most pathetic and ironic words ever spawned)
- some people here seem to think that if a competitive ranking system was introduced the whole game would change?

It would be an addition, not a change. The game wouldn't change there'd just be a better outlet for the top sticks to compete in.. KOTH is just a bit of a mishmash that comes around twice a month.

A lot of opinions in here are so extremely exaggerated it's a bit ridiculous. If you add a competitive system it really has no bearing on the main game world.
It won't turn into counterstrike cause that general populous will stilll not have the patience to learn AH. I don't see how that would change it.
Dweebs will still ho and ram, jokers will still noe bumrush undefended bases, virtual german luftwaffe pilots will still Bore n Zoom you to death and claim that they are all about the fun of the game...

Exactly what are you opposing here?

Granted Kazaas word usage might put some people off.

not that I see any radical changes or additions to this game though. this is by far a game stuck in the 90s as far as design and multiplayer aspects go.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 09:21:25 AM »

I知 not trying to turn AH2 into WoW, that part about my post was just an example of a really great system which gives people a chance to play on a truly, large scale, competitive level. I知 not sure why your ranting on about AI.

I don't believe it was a rant, just a comment on a game you seem to want to model this one after.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »
The problem with competition in this community are the ego's of the players who are afraid to loose their rep as being godlike sticks when they loose badly to someone less known in the game.

Instead of embracing the idea of challenging yourselve to the best of your abilities you rather stay in your comfortzone.

What are you afraid of guys? Afterall its only a game right?  ;)

The SDL awaits your squads application  :aok

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 09:40:33 AM »
I think you're overlooking his point because the game in question raises a lot of eyebrows (I for one would never go near it)..
He's bringing up an aspect of THAT game which could work in AH with a positive end result. I mean that particular game does have a record breaking amount of subscribers so it's not too crazy to look at some of the aspects of it to understand WHY IT HAS RECURRING SUBSCRIBERS...
I think it's because after you've reached your platue- done everything there is to do 5 times there's still an ENDGAME.

Also what keeps any MMO alive is the ongoing development of not only textures and plane models but also game dynamics.

I'm not saying to do one thing or another, i'm just saying to maybe open your eyes and look at the facts in a positive manner rather than rejecting every little thing that is brought up (based on exaggerations and unreasonable fears).

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 09:46:51 AM »

Aren't they really pretty much the same thing?  If you are challenged more, then you will have to fly even better to come out on top.  Try entering the fight a couple thousand feet below it, instead of above it, for a bigger challenge to yourself.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »
What if I don't want to be on a team and have my free time scripted and predetermined for me?

No thanks.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 10:04:26 AM »
After having played for a year or two I find I can have lots of fun just flying.

1) It's easy to find 1v1's.
2) It's easy to find 1vMany and vice versa
3) There are bombers to shoot at
4) There are ground targets to shoot at and bomb
5) You can capture a field
6) You can fight a ground battle
7) You can race jeeps
8) You can even race PT boats (no I'm not kidding  :rofl )
9) You can race other planes
10) You can shoot down planes while on the ground
11) You can command a task force
12) You can attack shipping
13) You can resupply fields
14) You can fly in scenarios
15) You can fly in FSO
16) You can fly in KOTH
17) You can even have an ego in a cartoon environment
18) You can meet your cartoon friends whenever you want
19) If you're old enough you can drink and fly
20) You can even win a war
21) You can make a movie
22) You can direct a movie
23) You can watch a movie
24) You can duel someone
25) You can win prizes
26) You can belong to a squadron
27) You can have your own squadron
28) You can be a cartoon General (not that anyone will listen to you)
29) You can game the game (no one cares since everyone knows you are doing it)
30) You can fly any number of different planes
31) You can keep the game going by continuing to play
32) You can fly in many different arenas of your choice (got that? your choice)

Tell me where else you can do that for 50C a day?

Now tell me how come it's never enough?

Ren

:aok
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
Musta missed the post where it says you have to play this - I'll support anything that gets me a good fight.
Not that I expect to win any of them, but it beats having 1 pass, ho n haul players all around (it gets so tiresome chasing them down for a single kill)

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline GGhost

• Copper Member
      • 79TH FIGHTER GROUP - FALCONS
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »
Here is a new twist to your KOTH.

Do a wingman KOTH every now and then.

:D GGHOST

Currently not flying

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »
What if I don't want to be on a team and have my free time scripted and predetermined for me?

No thanks.

Another person who seems to be quite confused as to what this would entail.

WHere exactly does it say it would have any effect on how you would play? It would pretty much be a seperate arena.
Btw you are on one of 3 teams already so...

Please comprehend the thread before making these kind of "IM AMERICAN FREEDOM YEEEEA" posts.
Don't say no thanks to something that you don't care about and would clearly have no effect on how you play the game.

A system like this would be optional.