Author Topic: Your toughts on monitors  (Read 737 times)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Your toughts on monitors
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:06:10 PM »
I'm thinking of updating my ancient well used 19" Samsung 950p CRT, which is my second 950p. The first one I bought 2001. The current one I got from the university as they were getting rid of old monitors...it cost me two packs of coffee. :)

My current rig is rather ancient in itself expect for the video card which is not the best either...

- Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester
- 1 Gb of 400mhz DDR2 ram
- Asus Radeon HD 3650 AGP

I just updated my catalyst drivers and replaced the control panel with ati tool tray. This pretty much doubled AH's frame rate and it is currently between 45-85 fps with 1280x960 res and 2xAA. So I can probably afford a slight drop in fps due to the higher native resolution of these current monitors, but not too much.

I'm thinking of spending around 120-250€. I've done some research of my own but it's always good to hear fresh opinions.

Eizo's 22" FlexScan S2202WSE looks like a real nice monitor with great picture quality and 5 year warranty (on top of my price scale). Eizo builts quality stuff, but they are mostly rather expensive. BenQ seems to have a lot of interesting options on the lower end of my price scale aswell...

One of my requirements is that the height of the picture area should be more than 275mm. I have a habit of getting my nose within an inch from my monitor as I'm shooting and most likely have to place a wide monitor farther away on my desk than my current CRT due to my JS/Throttle-setup. So the vertical dimension of the screen is important. I do realize this is somewhat against this "low enough" resolution requirement I mentioned earlier.

Anyways, open for suggestions here Gents!
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Your toughts on monitors
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »
Eizo's are famous for their office stuff, good color reproduction etc. but they're not necessarily aimed for gaming people. This means they sacrifice response times for better color reproduction as you can't have both.

The BenQ 2400W for example has had excellent reviews and is at 250e price range.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
Nt sure if they are available for reasonable $$$ over in your part of the world but the Hanns-G LCD's get great reviews for both performance and customer support...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254040

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:55:59 PM »
I'm very happy with my LG.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 01:02:01 PM »
This is pretty much my bible when it comes time to buy a LCD monitor:  http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206 .  You will need to scroll down a bit to get to the actual recommendations.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 07:25:38 PM »
Thanks guys and thanks for the link BoilerDown! Very nice.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Deth7

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.pigstompers.net
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »
I picked up an Acer 20" widescreen lcd for $139.00 and it works great!!!!!!! :rock
EA Still Blows...AOL Still Sux

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »
I'm very happy with my LG.

Careful with LG.  They buy thier LCD panels from the lowest bidder so they will usually be inconsistent.  I would not buy one unless I could preview it first.  And then I would only buy the one I actually previewed.  Just FYI.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »
I picked up an Acer 20" widescreen lcd for $139.00 and it works great!!!!!!! :rock

TigerDirect has the Acer 22" for the same price  :O
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 12:09:37 PM »

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »
I have been looking at this monitor at tigerdirect.    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4312740&Sku=H94-2500
I-Inc?  Never heard of the brand.  If my budget was $200 I'd rather buy a 22" and an actual recognizable brand name.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 01:17:03 PM »
I picked up a 19" Widescreen Hannspree @ Best Buy for the office a few months ago for less than $150 and I just bought it from the office as they were shutting us down and it is now my home monitor. Great views and the colors on it are great. My model is the HF199H.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 02:23:39 PM »
I got a 19" HP w1907...  picture quality and color is good,but I can't get refresh rate over 60Hz even with analog,does anyone have any suggestions of good monitors I can get that will go above 60Hz? It's really a pain in the butt... got an 8800GTS and FRs drop to 25-35 in a gv fight, not sure if that's just the comp or monitor too