Author Topic: Pintle Gunning and not dying  (Read 1525 times)

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
Pintle Gunning and not dying
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »
 :furious    yes, this is a gripe. 

The medal of honor winning pintle gunner continuing his stream of .7.62mm at the inbound typhoon.  He shrugs of the 20mm rounds impacting and ricocheting off his tank.  He quickly slews and gets another burst in.  Typhoon, engine seized ditches in a nearby field and is pitchforked to death by angry farmers. 

Yeah right.  Does anyone seriously know what it takes to kill the pintle gunner in a tank?  I can remember dying up there before, but not for about a year.  I really think that a few hundred 20mm would kill/maim/dismember a dude up in that exposed, non-armored position.

Dirtdart
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Nisky

• Copper Member
Re: Pintle Gunning and not dying
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:26:07 PM »
A direct hit by a 20mm key word direct or a tank shell.
just talk about random stuff but please stay on topic

Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »
The pintle gun can be destroyed. Maybe your aim is not as good as you thought?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
The pintle gun can be destroyed. Maybe your aim is not as good as you thought?

lol ya think?  He was flying a typhie.. nuff said.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »
here we go, someone smacks the typhoon.......  OK, thanks for following in line with the original question and contributing to the answering of a question.  Appreciate you using your platinum status to help fellow players answer a question.  I prostrate myself before you almightiness.  Dweeb. 

Aim could be an issue, although a stream of 50-100 20mms IVO a tank should hit something, especially when you see the ricochets.  So, reality is I need to work on my aim.  I am sure no one else in the game has noticed, albeit platinum level dweebs, the difficultly in shooting out the pintle gun on a tank. Especially relative to the volume of bullets and that humans manning the things were not armored, except for their won't stop a 7.62mm and higher helmet.   

And shuffler go find some kid in MA to haze.  If you have a valid comment which contributes to the post, post it.  Otherwise can it. 

If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:45:59 PM »
got to watch the ho even against a tank.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 11:16:37 PM »
If your firing 20mm cannon you dont need a direct hit to cause damage to the pintle gun. Cannon rounds are fill with high explosives and even impacting tens of feet away can ruin your day. So while the gun itself might not be destroyed the person firing hit would most certainly be down. Of course this would only apply to cannon shells being fired at an open pintle gun.

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:53:31 AM »
<------takes down IL 2s with lazier pintle all day long  ;)
frogs are people too

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »
Only pintle gun I ever killed was on the T34  :D
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 01:27:14 AM »
here we go, someone smacks the typhoon.......  OK, thanks for following in line with the original question and contributing to the answering of a question.  Appreciate you using your platinum status to help fellow players answer a question.  I prostrate myself before you almightiness.  Dweeb. 

you can't achieve the metal without a little Troll in ya. :lol

and BTW. you mentioned the human manningthe pintle gun. i believe the human is still sitting in the driver's seat behind armor. when you're shooting the pintle gun you're only hitting the pintle gun, no human.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:30:56 AM by stran »
Squash

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 02:18:07 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:54:48 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 03:25:34 AM »
and BTW. you mentioned the human manningthe pintle gun. i believe the human is still sitting in the driver's seat behind armor. when you're shooting the pintle gun you're only hitting the pintle gun, no human.

Only on a Jagdpanzer 38(t). In any of the GVs we have in this game the only way to fire the pintle gun was for the commander to open his hatch and stand with the top 1/3 or so of his body exposed. Judging by the view in the pintle gunner position, that's how it's supposed to be modeled in the game.

So the human is up there, he's just unaccountably immune to the effects of HE shell splinters.

This also applies if you raise the driver's view high enough to be above the deck of the tank. The historical reason to use that little viewing slit is absent in the game.

And to be really accurate, if the pintle MG is destroyed while being manned the player should lose the ability to go to that crew position at all, since the guy who'd be doing that is out of action. But as stated above, who really wants total accuracy anyway? GVs are already hard enough to survive in with planes around.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 03:35:05 AM »
Ive never been in a situation where i thought to myself, "man i need this pintle gun dead." Your making an issue out of a non issue. You ever think maby, i dunno, don't come in it angle where he can shoot at you. That way you can still cry on the BBS about not killing the pintle, but at least live to landyour sortie.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:37:01 AM by sunfan1121 »
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 03:37:59 AM »
Only on a Jagdpanzer 38(t). In any of the GVs we have in this game the only way to fire the pintle gun was for the commander to open his hatch and stand with the top 1/3 or so of his body exposed. Judging by the view in the pintle gunner position, that's how it's supposed to be modeled in the game.

So the human is up there, he's just unaccountably immune to the effects of HE shell splinters.

This also applies if you raise the driver's view high enough to be above the deck of the tank. The historical reason to use that little viewing slit is absent in the game.

And to be really accurate, if the pintle MG is destroyed while being manned the player should lose the ability to go to that crew position at all, since the guy who'd be doing that is out of action. But as stated above, who really wants total accuracy anyway? GVs are already hard enough to survive in with planes around.

i think you misunderstood my post. i'm talking about the damage model, not a real tank. i'm saying there's only one way to kill the pilot, and that's to aim for the driver's seat with a round that will penetrate.
Squash

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 06:57:53 AM »
I lose pintle guns to decent strafing almost every time, hardly ever lose coax or hull guns though, so it seems about right to me.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli