Author Topic: Time for a new GPU?  (Read 396 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Time for a new GPU?
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:40:54 AM »
Before I try to justify a new GPU, I want to make sure this is unfixable.

The glitches/artifacts I have mentioned before have gotten worse, and are doing so fast.  Usually minimizing the game helped, now it just puts it off for a few minutes.  I have tried new drivers, cleaning the GPU, and the normal steps, to no avail.

What seems to be a reoccurring problem is with the planes getting "stretched" in every direction, and other objects to an extent.  An example is: this.  Normal things that happen are: Stretched items, color inversion, Black screen for a second or two, random plane crashing with "don't move control so rapidly" with the day turning night, colored lines on planes/sky/ground/water.

If it is from a dieing part on GPU, or from some far fetched possible other part, I am hoping to figure out if it can be fixed, anyone?  If not next month I will be looking at a new GPU (either 9800 or 260).
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Time for a new GPU?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »
What type of Video Card do you have right now? When you got new drivers, did you use a driver-cleaning utility to remove ANY traces of your manufacturer's drivers?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:17:45 PM »
GeForce 7900Gs, I make sure that all traces of the old driver are gone first.  I have lost that program recently so I can't try any drivers, but I tried the newest and the next two steps down a few weeks back.

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:36:26 PM »
Sounds like the card itself...  What temp is it running at idle?  What temp is it running at after a load? 
I have never personally owned any of the 7900 series cards..  However, I know quite a few people who have
and one thing they all said was that it ran especially hot even under idle..  Clocking the card down didn't even help..

But yeah, first thing I'd do is check the temps...
This probably works best...But be careful and don't get all punchy with it..http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner >---Riva Tuner

This probably a bit redundant, but the link for some driver cleaner is in here somewhere...
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=16154
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:51:49 PM »

I had the same problem with my 7900 GT, it's caused by crappy video memory. Install N-tune and use it to slow down your video memory by about 25-39 % and it will work better for a while but it will keep getting worse. Good news is you can overclock the GPU to recover some of the lost performance.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:34:10 AM »

I had the same problem with my 7900 GT, it's caused by crappy video memory. Install N-tune and use it to slow down your video memory by about 25-39 % and it will work better for a while but it will keep getting worse. Good news is you can overclock the GPU to recover some of the lost performance.

No!    N Tune is a crappy program and should never be used.   

I had a 7900GT with the crappy Samsung RAM.   Regardless of what "OC'ing, underclocking" you perform, the RAM is crap.   My guess is this, you have Samsung RAM, just look on the RAM chips.   

I registered that 7900GT 2 years after I purchased it (with a built PC), RMA'd it before Xmas and received a brand new eVGA 8800GT.   I gave the 8800GT to Bj229r as an early Xmas gift.

If you're gonna OC, etc, download RivaTuner. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »
I use Rivatuner (was suggested a while back), and have fan 100%, no OCing and temps idle are 40C, under full load typical is 55C.  Sounds like I will be looking at a new GPu very soon, eh?
Well I knew this day would come soon enough.

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 12:11:29 PM »
I use Rivatuner (was suggested a while back), and have fan 100%, no OCing and temps idle are 40C, under full load typical is 55C.  Sounds like I will be looking at a new GPu very soon, eh?
Well I knew this day would come soon enough.

Yeah, sounds like that crappy Samsung memory Karaya is talking about...
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »
Well, just looked at the VRAM, it is Samsung.  GTX 260 here I come! :D

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 06:27:47 PM »
Well, just looked at the VRAM, it is Samsung.  GTX 260 here I come! :D

Just remember a couple of things bud.   The PSU at the minimum should be around 35-38 amps on the 12V rail.   Also, if you're running 32 Bit XP, remember the RAM your system sees as a whole will be affected.   I'm not that the GTX 260 isn't a great card, because it is.   It's just going to bring a bit of change to other things is all.

Just make sure your Power Supply can handle it, more than anything.   If you are getting one, go with eVGA or BFG Tech.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 08:43:18 PM »
I just bought my PSU a few months ago, OCZ 700w (4 rails at 18A each), running XP 64-bit.  Been slowly re-building the PC with better then cheap things recently.  Thanks for reminder though, would hate to buy something I can't use...happens alot in my life. :D

Looking at the EVGA 260, 216-core, on Newegg for 195$.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:58:36 PM by 1701E »