Author Topic: Number 1 thing to not do when trying to get a friendly's help  (Read 923 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
When dragging one or more enemy, arguably the very worst thing you can do to help the friendly clear you is to HO the friendly with those enemy in tow.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Number 1 thing to not do when trying to get a friendly's help
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »
Ahmen, hehe

Knowing how to set up a friendly for the shot, how to drag an enemy where you want him is vital lesson to learn in the MA's, really it's an extension of situation awareness, not only knowing what enemies are around you are doing but where and what friendlies are as well.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »
When dragging a bandit to a friend you want to give the friend turning room so he can lead turn the bandit for a tracking shot. That turning room can be horizontal or vertical.

Horizontal is a bit better because if the bandit continues to pursue he will show his belly to the friendly and provide an easy kill. Vertical below the friend is also a good choice but the bandit can track both friendlies throughout making it easy for the bandit to press his pursuit until the last possible moment.

A couple of films demonstrating the basic concept.

Dragging the right way (Horizontal turning room example)

Dragging the Wrong way

These are squadron training sessions so no guns. View with use recorded views and trails on then turn of recorded views, leave trails on and view from directly above.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 12:22:03 PM »
It sounds like someone had a recent experience with this.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »
When dragging one or more enemy, arguably the very worst thing you can do to help the friendly clear you is to HO the friendly with those enemy in tow.

All I can say is yes this is correct.  But let me add...ouch! :x
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 01:48:52 PM »

He was probably just trying to get your attention, in case you hadn't noticed his plight  :rofl

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline strong10

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
Is this another argument against Ho'ing? 
 :lol

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »

Caveat:

This is essentially what a properly-executed Thach Weave results in. Though admittedly to give your wingman a clear shot you want to position yourself so you're passing above him and he can rake the bandit's belly cleanly (this is as much on the "free" fighter to set up properly as it is you, however).

Personally, I get more irritated telling a friendly to make a shallow turn one way or another, and he executes a break instead--pulls too hard and keeps me from getting a shot--or decides he's going to pull up or try diving out.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:40:43 PM »
This happened to me but i rammed him instead.  :eek:
Strokes

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 12:01:09 AM »
Ahmen, hehe

Knowing how to set up a friendly for the shot, how to drag an enemy where you want him is vital lesson to learn in the MA's, really it's an extension of situation awareness, not only knowing what enemies are around you are doing but where and what friendlies are as well.

As Soulyss can confirm, I'm an expert at dragging baduns.  I find that bobbing and weaving slowly, while shedding parts, fuel, oil and coolant, keeps them preoccupied while a wingman can then roll in and clobber the baduns.    Any number of 80th guys have gotten multiple kills in one pass this way.

What I had is the guy who is screaming for help who then turns into you, pulling the badun into the absolute worst possible spot to try and do anything to help.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 12:28:10 AM »
They should turn the oppisite way when ur 1.5k out and that will set you up for a beautiful snashot. :x
Strokes

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 05:46:10 AM »
yes indeed the most irratating is a call for help and when you get their they execute a mind numbing 9g turn in any direction. there is no way I am going to follow that. I prefer to keep my E in case more enmy are on the way.

What the draggers need to learn is the barrel roll. It is hard to hit and gives the bagger a better shot at the pursuer.

infidelz.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 01:48:10 AM »
Sounds to me like a lot of guys in this thread are complaining about something that a Friendly being pursued, and I think in most cases being shot at, can’t really control at the moment that the friendly help arrives.  Seldom have I seen anyone in an immediate position to render assistance.  The radio chatter sounds more like,

FriendlyOne:  Got a spit on my six, can someone help  clear my six.  (Enemy 1K out)

Friendly two:  Yea, where are you ,

FriendlyOne:  I’m on the deck, running south away from the town.  (Enemy 800 out)

Friendly two:  Ok, I see you, I’m only 2K out 

Friendly two:  can you turn him more east   (now just 1.5K out

Friendly one:  How’s that, hurry he’s just 400 out

Friendly two:  Start a slow climb (now just 1K out

Friendly one : Now making repeated sharp turn  and desperate to escape Explodes.

My point is the guy being pursued may be out of options at the moment that help arrives.

I seldom ask for anyone to clear my six.  That’s my responsibility and that of my wingman.   
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 02:12:45 AM »
Nope that's something else.  If he doesn't have any options, that's fine.  But having options and choosing to turn right at and hold heading straight on the friendly or wingman is pretty much the worst you can do.   I made this post when a friendly did just that.. I was coming in to help, had scrubbed a bit of speed from higher and off to the side and was already in a shallow dive to make a shallow first slash at the trailers (3 of em), when the friendly who still had some speed and wasn't yet knee-deep in the trailers' bullets, nosed right up and held his heading exactly at me.

And complaining is off subject.  The point is tactical, not a matter of taste.  Whether people bring up the point while complaining or not means nothing for whether the point is valid or not.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you