Author Topic: 2nd DSL Modem? Or Wireless?  (Read 392 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
2nd DSL Modem? Or Wireless?
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:32:39 PM »
Gents/Ladies,

Just moved in with my Mom for a few months.  She has DSL and we're planning on having computers in different parts of the house for my stay.  I'm curious, can I simply run a second DSL modem upstairs for my desktop or no?  Second, should I merely disregard that all together and go for a wireless router for the whole house?  I've heard some players say that a wireless connection makes them warp a lot?

Thanks for the advice in advance...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: 2nd DSL Modem? Or Wireless?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »
2nd phone line or router. You won't like wireless for AH from what I understand.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12591

According to this, No.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:40:50 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 05:08:31 AM »
Thanks.  What's the maximum distance I should run a line without slowing things down?  It was my understanding that RG6 should only be run a certain distance.

One thing I may do is run a wireless router from my desktop's location and hard wire it to the router and use the wireless connection for the other box.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:41:51 AM »
Router or Hub, should be good for 100 feet or so, can start picking up errors if you go past that. Worst case scenario, put the modem and router in the middle, run cables both ways.

I have one cable I run to my basement thats 100 feet and I've had no problems with it.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:05:12 AM »
Remember though that the distance is not straight line when running wired but how much cable you have to put out there.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:09:40 AM »
You know what you could do if your mom doesn't mind is get a dsl/wireless router. Connect your computer to the dsl modem via cable and set your mom's computer up for wireless.

Just a thought. Would save running the cable.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:15:10 PM »
I have DSL via a wireless router, shared by 3 computers and have no problems.  I believe the regular warpers use satellite internet. 

Dime
Dimebag
CO of the Black Tooth Grin
Black Attack!!!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 04:14:05 AM »
I believe the cable limit is 100 yards not feet.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 04:50:04 AM »
yup 100m for CATV cable, although in practise you can go alot longer.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
The problem with longer cables is mostly that they turn into antennas and the interference plays tricks with the data stream. If you really wanna geek out, buy shrouded/shielded CAT5 or CAT6 cable. It has a layer of foil between the outer coating and the wire pairs to keep the interference out.

EDIT: If you end up installing a permanent line and it's between different levels of the home, look into non-wicking cable. I've never actually seen any myself, but part of building codes is to use it in order to keep a fire from spreading by wicking up the cable. I dunno, that's just a lecture from a computer class I took three years ago. :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:12:46 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 01:23:42 AM »
The latency issues that you are thinking about would be linked to satellite internet or internet provided by a cellular company...

Having a wireless network in your house isn't really going to give you any kind of latency as long as you are well within range..

I typically play on my PC in the garage and it's connected(wireless) to my router in the house on the 3rd floor..

No one has ever complained of warping and my net status is pretty stable..

You will not have any issues using a wireless router and a wireless card in your pc..  You are on your own network using your

own internet connection...  If you start to get out of range, then you'll have issues..  But if you're within good range(within 150 ft indoors and 300 ft outdoors)

you will have a stable connection that won't drop out and it will be just like you're on a hardwired network line...

There's no need to get a 2nd DSL modem..  Share the connection you already have.. 

Don't run a cable..  Wireless technology is equivalent to cable if used properly and is very secure if you set it up to be..

There are bunches of us here that would be more than happy to guide you in this endeavor.. :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:28:34 AM by Anodizer »
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 01:26:28 AM »
That can also depend on the radio interference in the area, however.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 01:34:36 AM »
That can also depend on the radio interference in the area, however.

Unless he has a TV or AM/FM station transmitting directly in his backyard, there shouldn't be any issues...

In fact, a network cable would be more prone to interference unless it was shielded especially well...

I used to pull cat5 cable and do wireless back in the day and am also a licensed amateur radio operator (Ham Radio)...

Used to have to deal with issues like this all the time....
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 01:36:58 AM »
Every once in a while I get some nasty something that messes with my signal. Being next to a Naval Air Station, a refinery, a local radio station, and a cell tower probably doesn't help.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »
Neither here nor there - but I knocked out Internet out for most of the town I live in when I had one of these guys go bad....
http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/HDXB101.aspx

Apparently they transmit on the same frequency as the cable company was using.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue