Author Topic: porsche 911 (996)  (Read 10991 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: porsche 911 (996)
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2009, 08:03:39 PM »
Saur--Since you seem pretty passionate about this... Tell me what you think of this one:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-|E-|M-_41_|B-35000|H-|D-_386_|N-N|R-75|I-1%2c7|P-PRICE+descending|Q-descending|X-popular|Z-20852&aff=national&paId=295454344&recnum=25&leadExists=true#

I know there isn't much to go on, I'm only asking you to evaluate it from the information available, and assuming that there are no deadly defects.

Now thats a nice 911 :aok

Everything Saur mentions is fact! the air cooled 911 are much better,my friend doesnt see them nearly as often as the newer ones.In fact he had a Ruff in the shop when I called so I had alittle look see.I couldnt hang around for the "test drive" though.... :o

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2009, 08:55:35 AM »
I'm no rush, however. Maybe I'll get lucky in the coming weeks.

Finding the right car is half the fun.  Take your time, decide what you want and wait for it.  I would also expand my search radius to nationwide if you havent already. 

Saur--Since you seem pretty passionate about this... Tell me what you think of this one:

I know there isn't much to go on, I'm only asking you to evaluate it from the information available, and assuming that there are no deadly defects.

At face value, the car appears clean.  The seller says all the right things.  Service records, tools, etc, etc.  Notice he mentions that the 915 shifts smooth as silk.  The 3.2L cars from 84 to 86 had the same 915 transmission found in the previous generation 3.0L cars (and no matter what anyone tells you, the "SC" in 911SC is not an abbreviation for anything.  ;) ). 

The 915 is a pretty bad transmission... theres not really any getting around that.  In 1987, Porsche started installing the G-50, which was a far and away better product.  Could handle *much* more power (they eventually threw it in the 930 in 1989) and shifted better by a mile.

Ive forgotten who wrote it, but I remember reading an article on the older cars years back and the author described the experience of shifting the 915 as "Thrashing about with a wooden spoon in a bag of rocks."  He was kind.

If you go for a 3.2L, go for one of the G50 cars.  I had an 88 years ago and the transmission was the primary reason I justified the increase to my then existing budget.

They are fun cars.  No power steering, power brakes are a joke... its a "real" 911, but the premium that the owners are currently asking is baffling to me. 

Back to the car specifically, as stated, full service records is a valuable asset.  The color combination is desirable.  The options list is extensive and there are some rare ones - like the locking diff.  As stated in the ad, the front valence is not original (nor properly fitted), nor are the wheels, steering wheel, etc, etc.  I had Borla exhaust on my 3.2L - sounded amazing.  Make sure that the heat exchangers are still in tact when examining the exhaust.  Autothority makes pretty good software.  I would ultimately change it out for a Steve Wong chip, though (Google).  Cloth/leather seats indicate that the car was probably a European delivery.

Overall, it looks like a good candidate. 

I was working for BMW when Z4 came out. Try it, i bet you will immediately sell your Z3.

Agree.  Try it out, Haj.  While it may not look the part compared to the Z3, the Z4 is a great car.  Nearly bought an 06 M Coupe, myself.  Huge fun.

(PS: Check your subframe)  ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:58:34 AM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »
Oh, and as a caveat, if you havent found them yet, here are two BBS's that will provide you with weeks of reading:

For the older cars (pre-964) go to forums.pelicanparts.com

For 964's, 993's and the water pumpers, go to www.rennlist.com

Offline akusher

• Zinc Member
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »
thanks again guys.