Author Topic: Great Graphics,older computers..tough balance  (Read 3146 times)

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
Great Graphics,older computers..tough balance
« on: June 26, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »
I had posted this in the beta area I guess that was the wrong place to do so...I thought the beta time would be a great time to debate this thought. I could be wrong. Now, if that is the real issue then I do hope this is the appropriate place to make the following statement, if that is not the real issue then I guess this is an inappropriate subject. Whatever the reason, i believe a open debate is healthy and can be informative.

"I understand the desire for HTC to keep as much of their clientele as possible. I wish there were not going to be lesser versions offered, (by the ability to drastically turn down graphics). I do know that in the AH2 one can turn down graphics and get unfair advantages in the Gv aspect of the game. It just cheapens the game play in my opinion.

I believe that the game should be brought to the graphics we are seeing in the beta, with minimal adjustments for terrain as long as the strategic game play does not suffer. I do know a good marketing campaign would more than recover the losses from the upgrade."

Kam

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
Re: Great Graphics,older computers..tough balance
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:00:46 PM »
I am NOT I repeat NOT buying a new computer for the new update.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »
The problem with that kam is that it is not always an older machine that is a problem.  Although, I have an ancient machine, my problems primarily exist because of connectivity issues with my ISP.  Talk about a double whammy, loose clientele and still have bad gameplay issues.  Throughout the years HTC has really impressed me with the broad base of support for the numerous numbers of OS and graphics cards.  KUDOS HTC........ now let's see how beta runs for me  ........  I might be putting the horse before the carriage.   :x

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »
Kamori, the issue you spoke about was  simply a bug that was fixed very soon after it was reported, but got caught in the long release cycle.

HiTech

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »
Like HT said, the "gv advantage" has been gone for a long time. 

Anyway, graphics are nice and all but I'm not playing for the pretty pictures of the water and the ground.  It's just eye candy and really has little to do for me regarding flying and fighting.

I do plan on upgrading in the future anyway, not because of the new graphics.  If it did come down to being able to play a new version that looked pretty and I was unable to upgrade then I would be reluctantly gone.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 08:12:39 PM »
I don't see any problem whatsoever, I repeat, whatsoever, with upgrading the graphics and, therefore, requiring a modest computer upgrade in the process.

I say that in the knowledge that AH2 currently has fairly low-end computer requirements to run.  Extremely low compared to other "modern" games/sims.

Having said that, if the new version allows for users to turn off "eye candy" without affecting gameplay, on their end or their opponents' ends, then this would be win-win.

Graphics don't make the game, but they aren't completely unimportant either.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:50:04 PM »
The issue I'm referring to still exists. The advantage is still there. I am very aware of the fix. It did help but not by any means completly fixed. I have seen it time and time again. It is still here just not as extreme as it used to be. One can still dial down graphics and see tanks behind hills from ground and from above.Like I said Its better just not complete. Mabey this as good as it gets. Im not programming this software. If this is the best that it can be so be it.

Kam

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »

I will. but I'm about due anyway..

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 12:26:20 AM »
[/quote?]

I agree I will not buy a new comp for a game either.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 02:13:28 AM »

Fall behind, get left behind.

you get no sympathy from me.  :aok

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 07:09:11 AM »

I took my 50cc scooter racing today, I was owned by every "big bike" on the track. I told them all to slow down because I didn't have the hardware to compete, they all laughed at me. :cry

Fall behind, get left behind.

you get no sympathy from me.  :aok

You didn't want to sugar coat the truth one little bit did you?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 07:13:28 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 07:20:49 AM »
As i close my eyes,
I feel it all slipping away
(i come towards you)
We all got left behind,
We let it all slip away

:rock

I think itīs still too early to slit wrists, yesterdays patch doubled my fps.
(I allmost placed order for a new rig, but now im going to wait for the released version)
-=Die RammjÃĪger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 07:43:58 AM »
I will be upgrading to a new machine next spring (as tax refund gives me a little leeway). For now, there are still AGP video cards out there I can purchase to replace my old ATI 9800. These days, gotta watch the pennies, keep the kids fed, and keep a wary eye on the job hoping it will still be there.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 08:59:10 AM »
Exactly. Some folks just cant afford a new computer, and certainly not one just to play a game on.

I have no answers. The reality of gaming is as faster and faster puters come out the game writers will be writing more and more intensive code to better their product. Nothing is going to ever stop that.

But I do know what it feels like to not be able to spend that $1,000 cause your kids need shoes, food has to be put on the table, and now all of America and the world is worried about their jobs.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »
No one said that video gaming is an cheap 'hobby.'  Other than some MMORPG's that are out there, I cannot think of too many games with at least the size of player base and continued development from the game designers such as Aces High that has not either released a new version with update graphics. 

AH2 was released what, in 2004?  5 years ago?  Plane models is about all we had in updates and IMO it was getting quite long in the tooth.

The fact of the matter is Aces High is a business and in the video game world you have to keep up or you'll be left behind.  I don't have of their info but I would imagine that the player base of new players coming is getting fairly low.  You've got the long time guys that have been playing for years and continue to play or the guys that come back and play off and on.  But I'm not seeing a large or rather noticeable number of new pilots that just stumble on the game like I've seen in other game communities I've been a part of over the years.

I can talk to pretty much any gamer in my age group (mid 20's) or younger and if they see a game advertised they're going to see graphics as the first thing.  "Oh that game looks sweet" etc.  I can't count too many game advertisements that portray their biggest attraction aspects in "great community and gameplay."  Advertising is a key essential to any business model and I have hopes that the new graphics update will bring a lot of a new player base instead of the vacation 2 week squeaker if you will.

If HTC wanted to continue, they had to draw a line in the sand somewhere.  And for those of you gaming on your string bag for the last 7 years, there's a perfectly good corner in your bedroom where you can cry.  It's a fact of gaming life, you need to upgrade eventually.  And if it's not in your checkbook to do so, I'm sorry.  I've been in that boat before too.  Any hobby I've done over the years costs money, paint ball, hunting, golfing.  They all can be expensive.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either