Author Topic: Great Graphics,older computers..tough balance  (Read 3131 times)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
Re: Great Graphics,older computers..tough balance
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »
By normal standards of modern America, the cost of AH even with a new computer makes for a very inexpensive hobby/entertainment venue. Almost any hobby that can be named is more expensive than this game.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 12:05:15 PM »
By normal standards of modern America, the cost of AH even with a new computer makes for a very inexpensive hobby/entertainment venue. Almost any hobby that can be named is more expensive than this game.

WHAT HE SAID!!

My other hobbies are Kayaking and Hog hunting, both of those are defiantly budget hobbies, and what I pay to play for either of them absolutly dwarfs what I spend on AH.

AH is the Ramen Noodles of Hobbies in the cost department.

and now more than ever its completely necessary, We have global warming and our president is trying to model our health care system after something he read in a Dr Seuss book, but I can still bounce a zero from 15k dammit.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:07:04 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »
Aces High has to keep improving. If it doesn't, then some other company out there will make something in competition with Aces High; at that point outdated graphics and code isn't going to hold up to newer stuff that can also offer the same gameplay. Ever wonder why AirWarrior isn't around anymore? Or other MMORPGs and games? If you don't adapt in the game industry you'll be left on the side of the road.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »
I'd like to see those other games update as quickly with HTC's staff, while spending most of the last few years working on a side project. HT will lose customers who can't/won't afford to upgrade, and you'll get more eye candy- isn't that exactly what you guys are asking for? You should be happy.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 12:20:57 PM »
I took my 50cc scooter racing today, I was owned by every "big bike" on the track. I told them all to slow down because I didn't have the hardware to compete, they all laughed at me. :cry

So you think AH should be configured in such a way that better, faster machines give an advantage in the game?

You're comparing completely different types of hobbies. And I like AH in part because it is NOT like the video game racket with its millions of good little mindless consumers.

You didn't want to sugar coat the truth one little bit did you?

It's not a "truth," it's a state of mind, and a bad one. It's exactly what got us into this s*** we're in today, people piling up mountains of debt and pawning our future to the Chinese and Saudis in order to buy the newestlatestfastest consumer goods they don't need and can't afford. It's idiotic, is what it is.

That doesn't mean AH should never be upgraded. It DOES mean there are valid reasons for not wanting to see it turn into an electronic arms race.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 12:22:57 PM »
Ppl leave for variety of reasons. To be successful HTC need to attract new subscribers, not keep old ones at all cost.

And AH dont need very good computer, after all.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 12:30:41 PM »
Ever wonder why AirWarrior isn't around anymore?

I don't need to wonder, I know why Air Warrior isn't around, and it isn't because of its graphics, at least not directly. It isn't around because of something I mentioned in another thread WRT putting AH on one of the popular video game platforms: it got sucked into the larger gaming/consumer culture and bought up by one of the industry giants who promptly killed it because they want everyone to be hooked on the newestlatestfastest console games and having to replace all their hardware and game inventory every three years. Games like Air Warrior and Aces High don't fit into that market or business model, and the LAST thing AH needs to do is try to be more like Microsoft's or Sony's shiniest new toy.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 12:37:42 PM »
WHAT HE SAID!!
Hog hunting, both of those are defiantly budget hobbies, and what I pay to play for either of them absolutly dwarfs what I spend on AH.

Hog hunting aye?

I bought my .30-30 used in good shape for $250, and I expect it will last me for hunting anything that lives in East Texas until I'm dead, properly cared for. Some odds and ends of PVC piping for feeders and scrap plywood for blinds probably brings the total investment to $251.98, plus some fifty pound sacks of corn now and again :)

By comparison I spent $600 building a gaming stack less than two years ago. This is MONEY to me. It currently runs AH with maxed out sliders and hi-res skins at 60-85fps reliably and I would like it to last me for AHII until I'm in the grave also, or at least until Obama is out of office. Whichever comes first.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
So you think AH should be configured in such a way that better, faster machines give an advantage in the game?

That is pretty obviously NOT what Kazaa is saying. :devil

As long as you have enough comp for decent frame rates at some graphical setting, the technology doesn't matter in the competitive sense in AHII. In fact, sometimes I think "seeing" a plane's aspect was easier at on my old E-machines at 800x600 resolution...

Hopefully players on marginal machines will be able to turn off enough settings in the finalized new version to continue to play well at about the same level of graphical detail they were used to anyway. If things can be made customizable to that extent, no worries.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:46:39 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 12:45:22 PM »
Time to throw away those old Dell pre-builts and invest in some quality parts, boys and girls.  :P
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
Hog hunting aye?

I bought my .30-30 used in good shape for $250, and I expect it will last me for hunting anything that lives in East Texas until I'm dead, properly cared for. Some odds and ends of PVC piping for feeders and scrap plywood for blinds probably brings the total investment to $251.98, plus some fifty pound sacks of corn now and again :)

(Image removed from quote.)

By comparison I spent $600 building a gaming stack less than two years ago. This is MONEY to me. It currently runs AH with maxed out sliders and hi-res skins at 60-85fps reliably and I would like it to last me for AHII until I'm in the grave also, or at least until Obama is out of office. Whichever comes first.

thats a fine swine,  :aok

and yea you spent $600 for a computer... but you use it for much more than AH...  thats like saying you spent 20 grand on a fishing trip because you drove your car to the lake. :P

that and pig blastin eats up more money over time than AH, despite a higher initial investment.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
Just like the game advancing and moving forward bits and piecs at a time so should your computer!

I can't dump a bunch of money into a computer every couple of years, but I can put a bit aside when I can and buy that new powersupply, or a new video card, or a new cpu. Upgrading a little at a time don't hurt so much and still keeps you in the game.

And for those who are saying that they "won't upgrade just to play a game", well I'm sorry for ya, but also the world ain't going to stop for you either. Pay the piper, or get off the ride. My brother in law loves this game, but with 4 kids, and a house payment he just couldn't swing it so he doesn't play anymore after paying HTC for years. You do what you got to do.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:30:33 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
the funny thing its not alot of money to upgrade these days ..

AMD route X2 phenom cored with motherboard/CPU x2 7750/4 gigs of RAM/ATI  3850-4830 series  pcie video card - 170.00  and you can use your old hardware like the harddrive and optical drives etc....

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
I had a problem with a big blue bug on my screen with the beta.   I checked the date of my video card driver and it was 2006.

I got the latest driver and it cured the problem.  With everything maxed and all settings turned on i get 40-55 FPS,  with object shadow off it is solid 60 FPS.   THIS IS ON A PC I BUILT   FEB 2006.  it is now June 2009.   I think some of you guys need to roll with the times. 

I could understand the concern if you bought a PC a year ago and it couldn't run it.  They have put in optional settings to turn off the eye candy so you will still be able to have all the gameplay you like in cartoon land.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »
And if it's not in your checkbook to do so, I'm sorry.  I've been in that boat before too.  Any hobby I've done over the years costs money, paint ball, hunting, golfing.  They all can be expensive.

Try building and flying real airplanes :-)

RV6flyer
Tour 70 2005 to present