Author Topic: What is the best way to manuever to get someone down?  (Read 723 times)

Offline AcesHighMan2

• Zinc Member
What is the best way to manuever to get someone down?
« on: July 02, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »
When ever i shoot someone down i usually turn to get behind them is there a better way to get behind someone if so can you help me with it
Rapture1

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
Re: What is the best way to manuever to get someone down?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
Here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.netaces.org/

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:37:47 PM »
It would help if you reasked the question and be more specific as to what exactly you are doing. A little to much deleted info to be of much help.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
Read everything in those two liks Qrsu posted three times and then practice for a year.

Also, log some time with one of the amazing Trainers in the TA.

An hour w/ a trainer = a month in the LW trying to figure it out by yourself.

The learning curve is quite steep with this game and it takes many hours/days/months/years of practice to get really "good".
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »
The devil is in the details.  This is sort of like asking "When I play chess, I usually try to trap the opponents king.  Is there a better way?"  Like chess there are moves and counter moves.  There are foolish and sound strategies, but even sound strategies can be countered or beaten.

i usually turn to get behind them

Many players here could name at least half a dozen maneuvers (if not more) that could qualify as "turning to get behind them".  Each of those maneuvers would have theire own unique turn attributes, and are ment to solve different BFM problems.

As suggested, take a look at some of the existing resources, and post more specific questions that you might have.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:34:17 PM »
If could offer one simple piece of advise it would be:

Learn the yoyo....low and high. Study the yoyo. It is the basis for cutting inside any turn weather flat or verticle. Especially against a better turning plane.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 07:10:20 AM »
yes yo-yos are fantastic as is a sweet barrelroll and throttle chop to cause a overshoot. Different planes and pilot skill level will determine what measures one has to take to get on a cons 6. Fighting in the vertical you can get a good 6 shot too, but it takes alot of practice and extreme SA to pull off against a good stick.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 08:31:11 AM »
Aerial combat is very simple.

Don't make it too complicated.

ALL you are trying to do is join into formation on the bandit. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is no magic pill except practice doing just that and start from the beginning.

The first and most critical skill is keeping sight of the target. Without that everything else is useless.

Look HERE

Once you have the ability to track the target visually, then comes a very easy two step process.

1. Predict where the bandit will be in the future.

2. Maneuver to put your airplane there

And that is all there is to know about aerial combat. Of course there are many names for many things that help accomplish the two steps but that is the essential process. The farther in the future you can predict the target position, the less violent the maneuver to get you to that spot.

Here is my recommended training sequence.

1. Learn the basic maneuvers without reference to another aircraft. Loops, rolls etc.

2. Learn to join into formation against a non-maneuvering target from all angles. This is the one everyone skips and its pretty obvious. It can be quite dull but it teaches the 3D relationships most effectively. There is a reason every air force in the world spends many hours on formation joins and they plainly state the reason in the training material they publish.

3. Fly against a maneuvering target without guns. Essentially duel without guns. Knock it off and re-engage when the fight becomes static.

4. Fly hot duels with the guns.

Repeat. and Repeat again.

In between the steps you should be flying in the arena and working with a trainer who will help you learn specific maneuvers for common situations. If you have been flying for any length of time you will discover that stuff you did by instinct has a name. The name is important for transferring knowledge from one to another but a deep understanding of the 3D relationship will lead you to every possible maneuver without ever knowing any of the names. I'm not implying you shouldn't learn them. Just don't view them as some sort of bag of tricks. The are small pieces of a whole and you must be able to string them together like notes of music.

Just because you can play a C and a G, you aren't a pianist. The music is the goal, not the individual note.

Feel free to PM me if you want assistance and here is a link to the front page of my training site.

475th FG training stages index