Author Topic: Time to bite the bullet  (Read 477 times)

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
Time to bite the bullet
« on: June 21, 2000, 10:24:00 AM »
 Well I only have about 20 mins in 1.03 so far. Must say it looks great, cant comment much other than that yet but the eyecandy comes at a price. My current P2 300 and DM2 card doesnt do it anymore. My fps have been cut in half. I average 15 now and near a field with smoke popping I an down to 5 and lower.  

Sooo I think its time for a new puter. I have no idea how I am going to pay for it yet but ill find a way. To addicted to quit and cant enjoy myself with this lousy frame rate. I havent followed all the new stuff thats out there and any advice on a good system would be appriciated. Ill probably go with a P3, 700 at least maby more if I can affoard but want to know what Vidio, sound cards speakers I should look into. I want cheap but not junk. Because of price limitation Ill stick with my current monitor for now. Upgrade that in a few months maby.
What do you sudguest and thanks for any imput.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Time to bite the bullet
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
I too had horrible FRs with my P2 400 and Viper 550.

I had previously downloaded the hires patch for the earlier version.  Does anyone know if it will help if I reinstall the new base 1.03 version and do not download any hires patch?

Is there an easy way to uninstall the old hires patch without reinstalling everything?

Mickey

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Time to bite the bullet
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2000, 10:33:00 AM »

Originally posted by rosco-:
Well I only have about 20 mins in 1.03 so far. Must say it looks great, cant comment much other than that yet but the eyecandy comes at a price. My current P2 300 and DM2 card doesnt do it anymore. My fps have been cut in half. I average 15 now and near a field with smoke popping I an down to 5 and lower.  

Sooo I think its time for a new puter. I have no idea how I am going to pay for it yet but ill find a way. To addicted to quit and cant enjoy myself with this lousy frame rate. I havent followed all the new stuff thats out there and any advice on a good system would be appriciated. Ill probably go with a P3, 700 at least maby more if I can affoard but want to know what Vidio, sound cards speakers I should look into. I want cheap but not junk. Because of price limitation Ill stick with my current monitor for now. Upgrade that in a few months maby.
What do you sudguest and thanks for any imput.

Im feeling for ya.
A great place to pick a system by pieces is at  www.pc97.com
I dont know where you are in Canada but that is in Richmond BC and all prices are in Canadian. I personaly have puchased lots of stuff from them and will have to get my new system from them too...
Good luck

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
Time to bite the bullet
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2000, 10:57:00 AM »
 Thanks guys but I know exactly where I am going to buy it. I am sure I would end up with good stuff from them too. I just wanted to know what this crowd recomends as this computer will baisicly be for Aces high only. And the AH crowd will have knowledge of what works great with the game and what doesnt. If it wasnt for AH and a few other sims, I wouldnt have any use for a computer at all.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Time to bite the bullet
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2000, 11:05:00 AM »
 I'm in that same boat Rosco. Going to upgrade with a new MB and CPU first. Add in
more memory, a faster HDD and vid card later this year as the current ones do the job fine for now.
 Stil...l. Looking at several hundred dollars at least for the good stuff.  

-Westy

Offline Waxer

• Zinc Member
Time to bite the bullet
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2000, 12:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by Mickey1992:
I too had horrible FRs with my P2 400 and Viper 550.

I had previously downloaded the hires patch for the earlier version.  Does anyone know if it will help if I reinstall the new base 1.03 version and do not download any hires patch?

Is there an easy way to uninstall the old hires patch without reinstalling everything?

Mickey

Mickey: That's weird! I too run PII 400/DV550. I run at 800x600 (desktop at 16 bit color), get 35-45 FPS. If you want to compare notes on peripherals, setup etc, drop me an email.

------------------
Waxer
II/JG2 Richthofen

"Nothin' up my sleeve...Presto!"

[This message has been edited by Waxer (edited 06-21-2000).]

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Time to bite the bullet
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2000, 12:25:00 PM »
Hiya Rosco,

I'd go for a PIII-550 slot one, and overclock that baby! I'm running mine at 733mhz, without any problems. If you're ok with overclocking, you can buy a cheaper CPU and make it run like a tiger.

Otherwise, go for 128MB RAM, minimum. As far as video cards, now that the GeForce 2 cards are out, I'd pick up a GeForce 1 card, like the Guillemot Prophet 3D DDR-DVI, or CL Annihilator Pro.

If you want to talk more about it, let's take this to email, or I'll cya tonight for squad night.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Time to bite the bullet
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2000, 06:19:00 PM »
Rosco,

I'd focus on the vidio card...one thats a "GPU" will go along way, the older vodoo 3 and TNT2 cards are cheaper...but at the rate AH is pushing the eye candy you'll run out of pop regardless of CPU power and ram.

I run a P3 500 with 128 meg of 133 ram on an intel "coppermine" board. I get about 55 FPS on ave at max resolution in 32 bit. i have an older prophet 3D...not the newer 2x version.

I'd get a board that handles the newer "P3+"...or AMD...and focus on good memory (128 meg stick) and vidio (just make sure board supports higher speed cpu's for later). I run a clone vortex 2 sound card...was $28 at best buy...that works great.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Time to bite the bullet
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2000, 06:47:00 PM »
The "GPU" card isn't the best card for AH IMHO.  Especially flight sims use the FPU on the processor, and get no real benefit from the extra T&L stuff the GeForce 2 gives you.

The V5 5500 on the other hand will run 1024x768, 32 bit color AND 4x FSAA in reasonable framerates.  FSAA makes flight sims look awsome, and the Voodoo does it best.  It gets my vote.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl

dbcooper

Time to bite the bullet
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2000, 08:28:00 PM »
I just ordered a Dell 700 meg,pretty much loaded. 128 ram 10 gig NVIDA TNT 32 card for a little over $1.000 Dollars.Prices are getting resonable. Your right I cant get a decent FR either. My 300 voodoo holds around 15. Cant shoot squat in a slide show.I was told I could expect a FR of 70 to 75. Go for it, you only live once.