Author Topic: Titanium M3s  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Titanium M3s
« on: July 03, 2009, 10:11:50 PM »
The first two clips show what kind of 37mm AP placement is needed to kill a Sherman.http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m4sherman.html After that take a look at the shots needed to kill a M3 halftrack. http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/halftrackm3.html The M3 is actually the harder kill, when in the real world it had far thinner armor all around. Heres the clip, 2 passes for each vehicle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VowOihgASU
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
Re: Titanium M3s
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 10:35:58 PM »
I have seen this all too many times. The trick is to shoot near them, like 2 feet to the side, and that works  :rolleyes:

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
Lets start a wave ,anyone have a beach ball ?
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:52:03 PM »
I suppose a shell passing completely THROUGH the thinner armor of an M-3 without hitting anything vital nor exploding (work with me here) does relatively little damage.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »
Yes you are right wrongway, but explain to me the ricochet effect?

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 11:49:31 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:58:09 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 11:50:07 PM »
I suppose a shell passing completely THROUGH the thinner armor of an M-3 without hitting anything vital nor exploding (work with me here) does relatively little damage.

wrongway

You know your hitting vital areas on a GV when you get the yellow/red reaction from the blast. Starts as yellow, then turns red.

This particular M3? I wasn't the only one shooting it or lobbing bombs at it. I actually had to edit out some of the language from other shooting the thing to no effect. I got credit for the kill but I didn't put in the killing shot.

And its not like the first time. These things are tougher then a Texas fried steak.

No big problem or issue. They are "just the same" for everyone. God knows I have survived plenty of strafing runs when running troops or supplies when I thought I was dead meat.

It just strikes me as kinda odd .....thats all.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:53:08 PM »

wrongway
What sucks is shells passing thru the back compartment for no effect.  A real trunk full of bodies would make for a big mess.  Cargo ought to be part of the damage model.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 11:55:18 PM »
simple.  You didn't actually hit it.

What you saw as hitting it, I guarantee he has a film of you missing completely.

:x

Game doesent work that way, if you see hits on your end, he will get the damage.  its actually backwards to what you are saying.  just watch the typical video you took of yourself getting shot down in a crossing shot.  lots of times you will see the enemy tracers pass behind you, then you take damage, because the hits were registered on the other players end, and thus you were issued the corresponding damage, regardless of what you saw on your end.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 12:25:12 AM »
Besides Im talking about, just about, every M3 Ive ran into. There was a whole lot of ords dropped on, or near, this M3.

I'd much rather shoot down a Panzer then a M3 in the game. The Panzer is not only easier to kill but less of a threat to damage your IL-2. The single 0.50 of a M3 is a far bigger threat. At least to your radiator.

Maybe this shows it better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ChaVw6DcQ

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 12:30:34 AM »
The Il2 radiator is really vulnerable.  It might be small, but it's tiny, out in the open, and easy to spot on most skins (IIRC) because of the color it's painted.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 12:45:28 AM »
I send IL's to the dirt quite frequently from the turret of a panzer
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 03:56:07 AM »
I don't think the game has a "passed through the target and hit nothing critical" graphic effect, so it gives the ricochet effect??

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 04:30:36 AM »
I don't think the game has a "passed through the target and hit nothing critical" graphic effect, so it gives the ricochet effect??

Or perhaps the whole thing is not really modeled..
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 09:07:59 AM »
Not sure bout m3 damage model who cares that much though HE rounds usually do the trick.  A 75mm should never ricochet off of it though.