Author Topic: cheesed up my windows installation  (Read 522 times)

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
cheesed up my windows installation
« on: July 03, 2009, 12:26:20 PM »
new graphics card arrived today - xfx gtx260 black oc

during driver installation, system hung up and after a reset,decided to tell me the windows system graphics driver was missing.Its left windows unbootable and repair does nothing. I'm trying to directly reinstall windows xp over the old installation and keeping my fingers crossed. Could do with some help here,other dedicated forums seem short on a solution that works and i know there are some good tech heads here.

EDIT - the lost file is nvcchflt.sys

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: cheesed up my windows installation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 12:31:25 PM »
new graphics card arrived today - xfx gtx260 black oc

during driver installation, system hung up and after a reset,decided to tell me the windows system graphics driver was missing.Its left windows unbootable and repair does nothing. I'm trying to directly reinstall windows xp over the old installation and keeping my fingers crossed. Could do with some help here,other dedicated forums seem short on a solution that works and i know there are some good tech heads here.

EDIT - the lost file is nvcchflt.sys

Double check your vc connection. Did it have a seperate cable? Is the card seated properly? Did you delete the old drivers?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 12:36:55 PM »
card is correctly installed 100% (physically) older drivers were deleted successfully,happened when I installed new ones. xfx recommend you go online instead of using the standard disc drivers during installation. It happened then. hoping the overwrite works,dont want to lose all my data.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »
You should be able to take out the new card, re-install the old card and Windows will automatically find it at boot time and reload the old drivers.  Of course, that assumes the old card is not an Nvidia card as well.

Even then, it might still load the VGA drivers.  Worth a shot.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »
windows wont boot, goes straight from bios screen to error saying file is missing,use repair on windows disc.

just finished trying to overwrite windows,failed miserably. Its now put a new windows xp copy on the same partition,even though i specified it should overwrite without formatting. I now have 2 c drives with Aces split between the 2 and the whole thing is messed up

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 01:16:57 PM »
Your data is still there though, think of it as a fresh start.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:11:50 AM »
this is getting expensive,just bought a samsung 1Tb hard drive. I'm installing windows right now,but have lost the driver disc for my isp. I cannot access program from the old hard drive and my isp want to charge a fortune for a new disc (not under warranty). Luckily I have a 6Gb laptop drive in a usb enclosure with it on,whats the best way to transfer it?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »
if you have DSL or cable isp.....you should not need any install disc..........

windows XP should pick up and find your ISP & DNS info automatically...........least that is how I do it here in the states....... if you use a router you will need to reconfigure it though..........with or without the router setup disc ( yes you can set up routers manually very easy without the router install disc provided you know something about how you set them up)

I never use or recommend using those ISP install disc'.........

YMMV
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 12:15:26 PM »
The only time I ever had anything like this happen is when I either didn't install the power connection or I didn't seat the card properly. Yes I know I said it before.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 01:42:57 PM »
this is getting expensive,just bought a samsung 1Tb hard drive. I'm installing windows right now,but have lost the driver disc for my isp. I cannot access program from the old hard drive and my isp want to charge a fortune for a new disc (not under warranty). Luckily I have a 6Gb laptop drive in a usb enclosure with it on,whats the best way to transfer it?

If you install windows and connect your old HD you will be able to access your old HD perfectly normally unless it's physically damaged. And what was said about the need of drivers is true - an ISP connection shouldn't require any drivers except ethernet drivers.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »
That happened to me about 2 yrs ago. Went a file went missing after an install.

I went to my laptop with the same version of windows and got the same file I was missing on my desktop. I then booted my computer with a windows bootable disk, accessed the drive and inserted that file. It worked perfectly!!.
Thing is, i paid some company to fix my computer and after $200.00 and four hours, they couldn't fix it, I had the file replacement idea while they were accessing my hd. So when they left i used the disk and did the transfer myself.

Hope this helps..
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:35:02 AM »
If you have the space, Install Windows to another directory (best if to a different drive, but not necessary) during the install, and boot that to copy files around to fix your existing and primary windows installation. Then adjust boot.ini to have an "Emergency Repair" boot option, and you can always boot into this installation to fix your real installation.  Just be extremely careful to watch for the signs of a dying drive - if it's dying, you need to switch to "copy the stuff I need off to a different drive" mode.  I assume it's not backed up, only because I've yet to work on a system that's not my own that was... and remember - the fact that a file went unexpectedly missing during the install is strike one and two already that the drive might be going toes up...

Or one better (if you have a little Linux experience and can know enough to mount a partition and copy files) use a copy of the Fedora 9 Live CD - and Live boot Linux to copy the files you need around on the Windows installation. This has become my favorite method of fixing the friends/coworker's thrashed laptop that doesn't ever have a floppy drive any more - 90% of the time you can't install Windows other than via the "Recovery CD" that typically wipes the drive because it requires special drivers - and half the time you are fumbling around in the dark trying to determine exactly which drivers you need to Slipstream, which is time consuming to begin with even if you know exactly what you need.  And any time you try to do a bunch of writing to an "iffy" drive you risk destroying what else is on it but good.

Amazingly, I've not yet run into a laptop that I couldn't at least boot Linux on well enough to copy files - even though the Windows installer itself boots only about 1 in 5 these days.

<S>
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:37:04 AM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
I had a similar problem yesterday after installing new video card and a new power supply.  When I turned on the computer it would not boot up.  After checking that the card was seated properly and power supply connections correct, I started computer again and it did not reboot.  I then disconnected all accessories (sound, joystick, throttle, etc) and plugged in only the mouse and keyboard turned on the computer and it booted up.  Plugged in other accessories and it has worked perfectly ever since.  It turned out that windows had a problem recognizing a USB hub that I was using for my throttle, joystick and pedals.  After Windows booted up and I plugged it in, windows recognized it.