Author Topic: Some intersting "TANKS  (Read 1378 times)

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
Some intersting "TANKS
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:15:25 PM »
Was looking around to find some info on how succeptible the WW pintle was to rounds,and while I really didnt find anything,I did find this page..scroll all the way to the bottom and you will also see some links for russian tanks and others... :aok
 I especially liked the STURMTIGER..down at the bottom..held only 15 rounds,they were so big..for killing town buildings,and fortifications.

http://www.mobclan.com/forums/upload/lofiversion/index.php?t10559.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 01:18:03 PM by falcon23 »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Some intersting "TANKS
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »
Hilarious....

It is believed that either 87 or 105 Wirbelwinds were produced during the war, but due to discrepancies between the recorded production numbers at Ostbau Werke and Wehrmacht service records, the exact number will probably never be known. In any case, there were too few of them to have any major influence on the war.

In AH they're 100% dominant.

Reading the part about the sturmtiger, it sounds a lot like the ord on a SdKW we have in-game. You can take one of those out and give it a go, but aiming is almost impossible for me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »
Krusty,

Keep in mind that the Germans had lots and lots of quad Flak 38 armed AA units, many on truck or half-track chasis.  The only difference from a fighter's standpoint is that the Whirbelwind is a bit harder to kill.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 04:50:30 PM »
Krusty,

Keep in mind that the Germans had lots and lots of quad Flak 38 armed AA units, many on truck or half-track chasis.  The only difference from a fighter's standpoint is that the Whirbelwind is a bit harder to kill.

Whether its M-16s or Quad 20s - the end result is the same. I'll end up dead. So who cares if they were mounted on a Panzer IV chassi - the second we start seeing SKDFasdf's with Quad 20s on them - it'll be because of the non-stop squeak sessions like these :)

And i'll get more kills as a result :)

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »
Whether its M-16s or Quad 20s - the end result is the same. I'll end up dead. So who cares if they were mounted on a Panzer IV chassi - the second we start seeing SKDFasdf's with Quad 20s on them - it'll be because of the non-stop squeak sessions like these :)

And i'll get more kills as a result :)

Keep in mind that some people only exist to squeak.  ;)
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »
Funny....

By the time the Wirbelwind was introduced to service, 20mm shells were no longer very effective against aircraft...

Somehow that part stuck out to me in the description on the website  :lol  .
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »
Funny....

Somehow that part stuck out to me in the description on the website  :lol  .
It is kind of true though, in the context of AA vehicles.   AA vehicles normally will get few or only one hit and in that case the 20mm round is too small to ensure destruction.  For aircraft it is different as they can "saddle up" or at least effectively track their targets in order to get more hits.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
 Sturmtiger..380mm Howitzer. A 380mm can kill any building it hits at short range. Not a good vehicle for AH since AH buildings can be killed with 20mm's. It would be interesting but just a useless perked target for AH. I think it shows one of the main problems the Germans had during WW2. To many over complicated tanks and too little production. Always looking for the Vunder Weapon.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:57:41 PM by alskahawk »

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 12:42:41 AM »
Sturmtiger..380mm Howitzer. A 380mm can kill any building it hits at short range. Not a good vehicle for AH since AH buildings can be killed with 20mm's. It would be interesting but just a useless perked target for AH. I think it shows one of the main problems the Germans had during WW2. To many over complicated tanks and too little production. Always looking for the Vunder Weapon.

Range varied between 4200m and 5900m depending on elevation for a 761kg projectile.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:28:20 AM »
Always been a supporter for motorised arty. Even pulled arty. Wonder what would be the best though. But IMHO it would add a new perspective into AH, where arty would be a serious threat to both the town and the Hangars. On some maps the range from spawnpoint to the nearest target would allow a very short drive, if any at all. And our Willy's GP would have quite a job spotting!
Would the Sturmtiger fit the role? I think so. Kill a hangar with 3 shots from 4 K :D

But there would also be other lighter and faster that had a similar range.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 08:18:49 AM »
The Stürmtiger rocket was not very accurate at range and was primarilly designed for urban combat. It also took 10 minutes to reload. I'd much rather have a Wespe or Hummel or Priest.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 08:23:25 AM »
The Stürmtiger

Stürm?

heavy metal umlaut?  :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 08:48:01 AM »
The Stürmtiger rocket was not very accurate at range and was primarilly designed for urban combat. It also took 10 minutes to reload. I'd much rather have a Wespe or Hummel or Priest.

Oh, RATS! That means never in AH, since reload would be slower than respawn. Anyway, what would you suggest?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »
Oh, RATS! That means never in AH, since reload would be slower than respawn. Anyway, what would you suggest?

Check the last sentence of my previous post. ;)

-Gandhi