Author Topic: Rondar at work (kinda :) )  (Read 712 times)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
Rondar at work (kinda :) )
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:10:25 AM »
Here is a pic of the Eee Asus PC I bought and put in the case tractor I run.  10" screen and I have an internet modem I bought so I can get full internet access anywhere there is phone service.  When I took the pic, I was watching a YES dvd that I had put on a thumb drive, as the lil puter has no dvd drive in it.  All pics were taken with my phone camera and I had no idea what I was doing  :P 

Here is a pic of the right side of the tractor cab, which has a bar which I mounted the satelite guided auto-steering unit on and also my satelite xm radio.   

Also, here is a pic of why satelite guidance is a good thing.  I cant see in front of me, let alone the line I am supposed to be following approximately 26 feet to the left in the pic.  Before the satelite guidance auto steering, we used to  just weave a lot and overlap a lot of feet because we just couldnt see where we were going.  Our sweep plow is approximately 54' wide, so we get a lot of acres done in a day.  I'll post some more farm pics when I get them taken next week. 

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:08:34 AM by Rondar »
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Rondar at work (kinda :) )
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:21:10 AM »
Looks cool.  What're the error bars on the guidance?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »
Yes is good.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:50:35 AM »
Moot, the error bars I assume you may mean the arrows?  They are to run the menu of the sat guidance unit, adjusting the width of the swath you wish to plot, height of antenna, ground tilt adjustments, selecting degree/direction of swath, meaning we can set the guidance to go anywhere from 0 to 359 degrees on a compass heading and it will even do it to 4 places, ie 270.3478 degrees, and there is a setting for contour mode, which means it will plot a course parallel to the last one you drove freehanded.  So if you had to go around a lil curve or whatever, it plots the next pass and will guide itself provided the turn is not overly sharp.

If you mean the circle of lights on the top and the line of lights on the bottom of the unit, they are in fact "error bars".  The circle shows how far you would need to turn left or right to get back on center.  The bar on the bottom tells you how you are off of the center line.  The pic is not a good one, as when I took it all lights were centered.  On a mile long pass, the bottom light never crosses over to left or right at all, ocasionally the circle light will go left or right one light before the guidance corrects it.  We are talking  only a few inches literally here.  Sometimes the right or left side of the sweep will hit a hard or soft spot in the field, and the tractor/sweep will try to move accordingly, which is why maybe one light will come on to left or right of the center light once in a while.  When you look back at a mile long pass you just did, it looks virtually arrow straight. 

There is another electronic unit mounted on the floor behind the seat in the tractor.  This contains some FM electronic stuff (F***ing Magic) like gyroscopes and accellerometers that sense how fast the tractor is either tilting or whatever and it in turn controls the hydraulic units mounted on the underneath side of the tractor, which does the steering on the tractor.  The hydraulic unit is pretty simple as it is  solenoids and valves and fluid flow adjustments that control the hydraulic cylinders used to steer the tractor.  To disengage the auto steer while you are moving in field, you either turn the steering wheel slightly, poke the big black button on the bar I installed in the tractor, or poke the red stop guidance button on the head unit of the guidance system, and well you can poke the green button which is the enter button, to turn it on and off too.  Its pretty simple to run, really. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:06:32 AM by Rondar »
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:56:56 AM »
Cool technology aside,  that's a damned big tractor. I like it. Don't see a lot of those around here. I got to run a Steiger Panther (km325 or something) for a week some years back, and that was fantastic. I was happy to have an FM radio and air ride seat!
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 01:45:52 AM »
What model Case is that?  I ran an MX285 some last fall, was nice.  I love Case, but all the farmers I know or have worked for use John Deere.  I'm in Tennessee, so cotton is a major part of our agriculture.  Before the Case 625 Module Express came out (which the designer/inventor/whatever lives 30 minutes from me) I was used to the JD 9996.  I finally got my hands on a 625 last harvest, and WOW! I'm stubborn as a mule, so I have never used any auto steer program (of course I've only planted 3 fields in my lifetime with someone riding with me), but I can plant straight!

I used to help all the farmers out around here if they needed it for no pay at all.  Farmers rank at the top of my list for those who get a LOT of respect from me.  But now that I'm working 2 Summer jobs and 1 year round job I just haven't found the time to make it to the fields.

#S#

Banshee7
Tours 86 - 296

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 03:27:55 AM »
Dang. 10-thousandths of a degree is pretty accurate :)  How long would/do the passes have to be to depend on anywhere near that kinda precision?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 04:01:48 AM »
Which Yes DVD?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 07:13:49 AM »
Yep tarators have come a long way since the Farmall F20 I used to haul hay with as a kid  :)
Lighten up Francis

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 08:36:53 AM »
Rondar, pretty sweet setup you got there. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 11:20:43 PM »
Banshee, tractor is a 9370 Case.

Moot, lol we dont need 10 thousandth of a degree accuracy, the machine just does it.  Our fields are either a half mile or mile long.  The angle I was on today, while breaking out crp grass with a 45 foot disc, happened to be 23.4371 degrees.  I'm perfectly happy with 23 degrees tho:rofl  Here is a pic of making first pass breaking the crp grass out.  It will take several (probably 5 altogether ) operations to get the ground ready to plant.  We will have to disc at least 3 times and sweep twice to get the ground an grass clods and roots tore up so a drill can pass through it so we can plant wheat this fall on it. 

Yeager, I was watching and listening to the YES 35th anniversary dvd.  I have some Rush, Eagles, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Ozzy Osborne, and stuff like that that I will transfer to the thumbdrive and take them out with me.  I got a lil thingie you plug into the cigarette lighter that transmitts fm to the tractor radio.  I just plug it into the headphone jack of the laptop.

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 11:42:45 PM »
I found another harvest pic on my new phone.  I had to get a new one during harvest as ummm I, rondar, screwed up badly :O :O  I was in the elevator with the semi pictured below.  It had just showered rain and we were 17 miles from town.  I had to drive on gravel roads and the fine mist/mud/sand packed into the bottom dump hatches and then by the time I got to town it had dried almost like cement under there.  The guy at the elevator and I both struggled to get the cranks turned to get the hoppers open, and I had my phone in my shirt pocket.  In our struggles I leaned just a wee bit too far over and my phone went into the elevator pit and got crunched up and mangled real good  :cry :cry 

So Im still trying to figure this phone out, as its got a lot more stuff than my old motorola razr phone.

The pic is of dumping wheat into the auger and second pic is of a shot farther back showing the tractor, auger and truck unloading into some of the onfarm storage. 

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »
And I learned something new today  :rock
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------