Author Topic: LOST UDP session switch to TDP  (Read 1239 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
LOST UDP session switch to TDP
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:47:48 AM »
In small words for a clueless dude, what exactly does this message mean:

"LOST UDP session switch to TDP"

9 of 10, it means I am about to be discoed.  Is there anything that one can do to avoid the inevitable?

GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Re: LOST UDP session switch to TDP
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:52:54 AM »
 I think its more like you fell down a flight of stairs,but caught hold of the railing 1/2 way down as opposed to falling all the way.

~AoM~

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 12:57:43 AM »
I think its more like you fell down a flight of stairs,but caught hold of the railing 1/2 way down as opposed to falling all the way.

:rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:03:23 AM »
u do not necessarily get a "disco" from the game when this happens........

give it a few seconds and let the text buffer catch up, and you most times will still even have vox capabilities.......

it just means in "laymens terms" your connection has switched to a lower lesser connection............

however sometimes you may infact get discoed........

I have had this happen from time to time, andhave been able to continue playing for 2 or 3 or More + hours without any problems what so ever.....

YMMV.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 06:19:07 AM »

I have had this happen from time to time, and have been able to continue playing for 2 or 3 or More + hours without any problems what so ever.....

YMMV.......

Lucky you! For me its might as well read "Your getting booted from the server!!!" because that is the result every time it comes up  :huh

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 07:24:50 AM »
Start by reading: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,68316.0.html

You can also find more on this by doing a search in the Tech Support forum.

Chances are, you have a bad i-net connect somewhere between your modem and HTC. You can download a free program called Pingplotter that will show you where the problem is. Look for "packet loss" % numbers on the read-out. If your unsure how to read the ping trace, send it to Skuzzy and he'll identify the hop(s) that's causing the issue. The bad news: even if you know where the problem is, there's little you can do to get around it. ISP tech support (yours or theirs) will probably tell you it's YOUR problem, which of course, it often isn't. Then too, summer internet traffic runs at fever pitch pitch, which can bottleneck your connection.

Long story short, as soon as you geet the Lost UDP...get your plane down to a friendly field fast.

Good luck.

p.s. Skuzzy will probably move this over to the TECH Forum. Hiya Skuz  :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:27:09 AM by Max »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 09:10:27 AM »
Once in a while you won't get disco'd on a switch to TCP.  About 1 in 10 I'll be able to continue playing as normal for as long as I like.

TCP contains an error checking function which UDP does not and I'd guess that's the cause of the TCP discos.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »
TCP is sometimes called "session oriented", because your machine and the machine you connect to (in this case, the AH server) establish a link and exchange data ("handshaking") about what they are sending and receiving.  Something like "I just sent you these five packets, you get them?" and "I received packets one through four, but five was garbled, so resend that one" and so on...

UDP messages are just fired off into the blue, without sending or expecting any "handshake" to accompany them.  If your physical i-net connection is solid, UDP is perfectly adequate, and it does not have all that data-about-data overhead.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
A lot of people last night in all Arenas suffered from this, myself included. It happens to me rarely, but it does happen. Nothing to worry about, just continue flying if able. If not re-start the game.
Proud member of the Ground Pounders. Pounding our way to victory!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 12:16:03 PM »
Happened 2 times to me last night. Wiah roadrunner came back.... it was much better than comcast will ever be.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »
Happened 2 times to me last night. Wiah roadrunner came back.... it was much better than comcast will ever be.
yeah happened to me also! was in a furball, saw the message. pooped my pants. and after i got picked it booted me  lol!
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 02:16:06 PM »
About a month ago I got that message a few times, though I'd never had any connect problems before.  Turned out that the puppy we got from the pound was digging under the deck stairs under the side of the house near the fence and had torn and frayed the wire.  Had the cable guy come out and put new wire down and blocked the stairs and all is well again.  Not that I think that's really likely to be the source of the problem anyone is experiencing, I just thought it was kind of funny. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 08:20:18 PM »
Thanks for all of responses.

I usually get back online within a few minutes of getting dumped.

In the last week, there has been a spike in the frequency of discoes.  There is construction down the street and/or the summer increase in internet traffic.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 10:02:07 PM »
Just curious -- would such connection problems be less likely to happen using Verizon FIOS instead of Comcast cable? 
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 10:21:19 PM »
Just curious -- would such connection problems be less likely to happen using Verizon FIOS instead of Comcast cable? 
Lots of people have problems with Comcast. If you can get Verizon FiOS, I strongly encourage you to; it's very stable (I don't recall ever having warping issues, and 99% of the time I disco it's power/application related issues) and very fast.