Author Topic: Ki-61  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Ki-61
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 11:19:58 AM »
Madda it was good to see you last night and give you some tips.  If you want I can roll one or two sorties, have you join in my plane and I can give you good film.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »
Yeah man, that sounds great!  I really like the feel of it flying and fighting both and the ammo seems to me to go a long way.  The nose mounted guns really feel pretty deadly to me.  I'll give you a shout next time I see you up.  Thanks!

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 07:31:02 PM »
Ki-61 should turn with the FM2, but it doesn't.  Hopefully when it gets updated they'll look at that.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »
Ki-61 should turn with the FM2, but it doesn't.  Hopefully when it gets updated they'll look at that.

It's pretty close.  I fought that match-up one day while flying a Ki-61 and I won.  I held a slight E advantage through the entire fight that the FM2 just couldn't stay with.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline valdals2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 11:11:16 AM »
the ki61 is a good plane but i struggle maintaining E.

Offline Kurtank

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »
Personally, I like it. It's one of the rides I like to take up when I'm having one of those indecisive moments where I really can't make up my mind what to fly, or when I'm in a low 'spread out' furball. Compared to the N1K2, it feels a bit more "crisp". It's roll rate isn't too bad, and the gun package is pretty decent, though it's not a Ta-152 (another one of my favorite birds, even in a low level fight). It's pretty responsive, but it's definitely not a perk ride. It doesn't have war-winning speed or spitfire like turning, but it's something I can be relatively sure I'm gonna knock a few birds down with. The 84 and 61 are some of my favorite 'obscure' rides, especially since they out maneuver the P39 and P40, which are some of the other 'obscure' rides I take up often. Overall, a good performer, but it's not an uuber ride. I'd take one over a pony, though.
DeMaskus (Yes, we share an account.)

[357th] Death Dragons

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 03:21:22 PM »
Good ride overall but slightly underpowered and a little sloppy at lower speeds.

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 03:29:58 PM »
Good ride overall but slightly underpowered and a little sloppy at lower speeds.

Explain how this comes up most of the time.   I have NEVER had troubles with this ride even as low as 80mph.   This ride is one of the most forgiving in the plane set.   

Are you guys using flaps?   I don't and have no issues turning at very slow speeds.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »
Explain how this comes up most of the time.   I have NEVER had troubles with this ride even as low as 80mph.   This ride is one of the most forgiving in the plane set.   

Are you guys using flaps?   I don't and have no issues turning at very slow speeds.   
It could just be my stick setup (I use a highly advanced 2 yrs old Saitek AV8R woot). 

Since you asked I went back into my vast memory stores and searched for a more detailed explanation.  For me the Ki61 handles well overall and fights well as long as I don't point the nose up high for longer than a few seconds.  She seems to lose speed quickly in a vertical fight and thats where she mushes out quickly being slow to get her nose back down.  Not a great E fighter for me.  As long as I keep the nose level or down and keep the speed up I do well in this machine.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline CraneMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »
In my opinion the KI-61 is an awesome plane. It can be used as a BNZer as well as a turn fighter. It dives better than most other Jap planes. It can get over 500 miles per hour in a dive. The cannons are very easy to aim with as they are center mounted. I think it keeps its E fairly well but not as good as some of the others in the set. It climb rate is decent. You will find that it also takes more damage than the other planes in the set. Over all it's a great plane.
The only things  I wish I could change would be the speed in level flight and more ammo. :aok

:rock
VF-6 Fighter Squadron            
       Fighting Six
     ~CraneMan~           

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »

Karaya, we've flown countless duels with the Ki-61 vs much of the plane set. At low speed, flaps out, it wallows badly. A P-40E will eat it alive under those circumstances. This happened as a byproduct of the drag model change a few years ago. The Ki-61 took a big drag hit when using flaps. Thus, its ability to compete with much of the plane set is impaired once the flaps come out. It turns a reasonably small circle, but the rate of turn is nothing less than horrendous. That is what gets it killed.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
Karaya, we've flown countless duels with the Ki-61 vs much of the plane set. At low speed, flaps out, it wallows badly. A P-40E will eat it alive under those circumstances. This happened as a byproduct of the drag model change a few years ago. The Ki-61 took a big drag hit when using flaps. Thus, its ability to compete with much of the plane set is impaired once the flaps come out. It turns a reasonably small circle, but the rate of turn is nothing less than horrendous. That is what gets it killed.

Oddly, this has not been my experience.  We have Tonys v. P40Es fairly frequently in AvA, always a close match.  Usually, though, the Tonys come out on top.  Possibly this is because they seem to hold energy a bit better than the P-40s, so they don't need to use the flaps as much.  Possibly it's attributable to the Tony's better armament.

It's not a wonder plane, of course, I don't think anyone would want to fly it against Spitfires, which might be why it gets into more trouble in the MA than it does in the AvA.

- oldman

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 08:43:23 PM »
I haven't had too much trouble with it wallowing at low speeds myself, but I usually stay off the flaps as much as possible.  My main problem with it at the moment seems to be shedding enough speed when I need to.  Maybe I need to work nose up a bit more when I get in that situation. I'm still not a great stick yet for one thing, and I'm still pretty new to the 61 too, so I've got an awful lot to learn. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 11:57:21 PM »
Oddly, this has not been my experience.  We have Tonys v. P40Es fairly frequently in AvA, always a close match.  Usually, though, the Tonys come out on top.  Possibly this is because they seem to hold energy a bit better than the P-40s, so they don't need to use the flaps as much.  Possibly it's attributable to the Tony's better armament.

It's not a wonder plane, of course, I don't think anyone would want to fly it against Spitfires, which might be why it gets into more trouble in the MA than it does in the AvA.

- oldman

One of my favorite things to do is fly dissimilar aircraft duels. Which is why I stated that I've flown the Ki-61 against just about everything, usually flown by the better 1v1 duelists.

Arena type fights rarely begin with all things being equal. Duels generally do. In a 1v1, Co-E, Co-Alt, the P-40E can gain an advantage quickly. Better ailerons and flaps that can begin being deployed at 400 mph will allow the P-40 to win the reverse. In fact, the Ki-61 should extend a bit before reversing or the P-40 will have the edge from the get-go. Since these two have virtually identical acceleration and climb (slight edge to the P-40 below 10k), this fight will eventually degrade into a turning contest. Once slow, flaps will be needed. Once flaps come out, the drag penalty for the Ki-61 is unsustainable. Turn rate degrades rapidly and stability goes south. On the other hand, the P-40 handles better and turns a smaller circle at a faster rate. If it comes down to a lufbery on the deck, the Ki-61 is a dead duck. Thus, the Ki-61 must attempt to get the kill as fast as possible, before the fight devolves too far.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 12:19:04 AM »

My regards,

Widewing

CC that WW.   100% of the times in this game when I'm in an La7 and Ki-61, I do not deploy flaps.   I'll work the throttle accordingly.   I know some are going to pile on me for sounding "egotistical" for saying this.    But, if you deploy flaps in either ride mentioned, you're in the Tower.   Both of these rides are capable turners when the flaps are left up and you're able to find the proper "comfort zone".   But a lot of people who fly, try "to fight the other guys fight".   

WW, we'll have to set something up for some 1 vs 1's.  I already know going into it, you'll be the one teaching me.    :rock

Simaril and I have had many 1 vs 1's in the MA's, with him in the 40.   Most of the time I won, but they were ALL 6+ minute fights.   Where afterwards, both of us are shaking and drained of energy.   I find now if I roll a Ki-61, I'm getting ganged.   

I've taught everything I know and have learned from Helm and Goth, to 4XTCH & Nisky.   4X is almost identical to me in the "unpredictability aspect" and is dangerous.   Nisky is younger than me and has better eyesight.   I've only just returned to the Ki-61 after a 7 month break from it.   

Right now I'm trying to give Training to Madda.   Our schedules conflict, but I want to give him the opportunity to pick my brain and give him the best help possible. 

Regardless, excellent post WW.   <<S>>
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:21:29 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC