Author Topic: P47 do's don'ts ?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline onan

• Copper Member
P47 do's don'ts ?
« on: July 16, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »
Hi guys,
I've not been at this long, a few months.  AH2 is the top as far as I am concerned.
Got myself flying the P47-N mostly, sometimes the D-40 model because I read somewhere that it fly's better at high alt >15k.  Good for Buff hunting.  I also read that it "Fly's like a bathtub/Train/Brick etc.....
I think it's heavy, it feels heavy but is this down to its actual mass or because of the weight distribution on the airframe.  It likes to go nose heavy under braking on landing.  It dives well and pulls out of a dive no problem, chop throttle for a few secs and she recovers.  Great feeling.
She can also get away from most baddies as well if there's enough alt to dive away with.
My question is what were the tactics used with this aircraft during WW2. Exclude bombing runs.  BnZ seems to work well but there are 4 stages of flaps and the only time I use them is for landing.  I think I'm only getting to use a part of what she can do and want to know how to get the best out of her.
The "Jug" is a great plane 3400 MG, 2x1ton bombs, 10 rockets and a drop tank and does nearly 550/600 in a dive. All she's missing is an on-board DVD player and bubbly foot bath.

Any help from those who fly it or hate it greatfully received

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: P47 do's don'ts ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »
kind of an old post but dig into the bbs service to find some more!
 use the search engine!

this should get you started
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,27675.0.html
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »
A squaddie wrote this. Probably worth checking out:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,245849.0.html
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
The N Model preforms well with speed. It is good with altitude and if you do get low ans slow make sure to make fluid movments to not cut energy. The 8 .50's will tear anything apart. Most of all try to get low and slow with it see what you can do in that plane and then you will learn by trail and error.
Strokes

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »
Thanks Guys.  WWhiskey Qrsu StokesAk.
What a mine of brilliant info.!
Thanks again<S>

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »
Don't forget about that D11 model. That thing turns Real good. It surprises alot of folks. And find Hajo, he's a jug man.
Lighten up Francis

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:37:18 PM »
Do:  Fly
Don't:  Crash
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »
BaldEagle.................... ...They're like toast and jam<S>
and Uptown
I'lll look for Hajo........Thanks

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 06:23:02 AM »
You should definitely experiment with the flaps because they're quite effective on the P-47.  I especially use them when some smart-ass in a P-51D or 190 thinks he can saddle up easily. :)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:12:27 AM »
 :noid
Lighten up Francis

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 07:29:53 AM »
I have started to use the flaps when trying to shake someone off my 6.  Been dropping as much flap as poss, chop the gas and barrel roll to hopefully make them overshoot.  Doesn't always work but it's a start.  Also not good if low on alt after this move.  Even if I manage to shake them off it leaves me with a heavy plane going slow and an easy shot.  Been trying (after I read somewhere ) to keep the fight above 200.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »
If you look for the Aces High training films there will be one on the Vertical Reverse. It is a good move if there is someone on your 6 with more E than you can reverse them and hopefully get them to run away.

Also another move that has helped me more than once is just to pull them up into a spiraling climb, but be careful some planes can do it better than you such as an A6M,Ki84,Spit14,109K4,P38.

Barrel Rolls are good for throwing off an enemy that is far out on your 6 but if they are D200 or D300 they can easily have a shot on you. So what you do is start sicssorsin back and forth with your rudder and that will make them overshoot. While you are doing you scissors press your elevators all the way down so you are almost reding out. Basically you are stickstir and that will cut your E and make them over shoot. By pressing down on your elevators or using "The Flat Side of Your Plane" it makes is very very hard for many people to hit you.
Strokes

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »
Come in with an alt advantage (I cruised around at about 12-15K)  or a speed advantage (diving to the alt of the furball and coming in at 500 mph is okay to set up ropes)

Use the zoom- it's good.  DON'T let it just hang up there, though.  Once you get to the 100-150 range, the tnb crowd (spits, nikis, la's) will crawll up your bellybutton toot suite.  Cubans are wicked effective in it.

Take the D11.  Trust me.  She's wicked stable, maneuverable as hell.

Take the light ammo load unless you're going buff hunting- this makes a real difference.

If you're going to a furball, don't take too much fuel (half a sector away is usually 25% and a drop tank for me)

If you wanna have some fun and REALLY surprise people, take the D-40 with the 6 gun light option and a minimum amount of fuel.  It'll actually climb :D

Barrel rolls, zoom climbs, power dives, and turns only for shooting- that should be your mantra.

Oh and one more thing- you WILL NOT accelerate away from a bad position.  You must dive.  Set a "bust out" alt of 5,000 feet or more.  Roll to the friendly horde, unload (0 g's), punch WEP, and get the rock outta dodge.
"You rebel scum"

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 06:52:29 AM »
You should definitely experiment with the flaps because they're quite effective on the P-47.  I especially use them when some smart-ass in a P-51D or 190 thinks he can saddle up easily. :)

:noid
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 12:53:47 PM »

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer