Author Topic: default skin on Panzer  (Read 1081 times)

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
default skin on Panzer
« on: July 17, 2009, 03:43:30 AM »
Can you change it? Make it greenish? Make it so it's like the m4 or t-85....ie damn near impossible to see in the trees.

Hey look! There's a yellow flash! In the jungle.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
Re: default skin on Panzer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:37:56 AM »
So switch from the default to a green one. I like the orange panzer as a default....makes them easy to spot.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:40:05 AM »
So switch from the default to a green one. I like the orange panzer as a default....makes them easy to spot.

The problem is all someone needs to do is disable other player skins in their video options and your camouflaged tank now sticks out like a sore thumb again. This leads to a SERIOUS imbalance in favor of the M4, especially in scenarios/FSO
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:03:04 AM »
I have always thought this was a good idea. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »
Suppose it has anything to do with real life?  All historical and the like?

You're going about it all wrong.  You need a different colored terrain.

Doh!!

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
The guy brings up a good point. But then again that is why the have the smoke shells. But that too announces 1 of 2 tanks is coming and the firefly is green so it is un-needed, and therefore announces that a panzer is coming.

Maby we could go for more of a brown instead of an orange.

And wrong way...for some reason your first picture looks...off. The second is rusted and not it's paint scheme. And your pictures are a tiger, kingtiger, kingtiger and a scoutcar of some type. None of them a a panzer IV.

Speaking of different terrain...we should have some variation in the color of the ground and background.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 12:21:52 AM »
Been posted on  a zillion and one times.....

Whats the point of green camouflage if you cant use it?
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 01:30:29 AM »
My point is that the "default" color of actual German WW2 tanks was Tan, not Green.

Can't find any actual pictures of a panzer IV in color.  Everything is either a model, a profile, or a modern restoration, but they are predominantly Tan.

The deal with the scout car is it is Grey, in the desert.  A Tan environment.

The problem with the "different default" is it just wasn't so.

What you need is more variety in the color of the environment.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 01:45:29 AM »
Perhaps the new terrains will address this better.

My memory may be faulty, but it seems that before the new terrain, the background was more broken and much more brown-intensive.  In the old terrain, the M-4 would have stood out like a sore thumb.

Not to mention the fact that camoflage first and foremost is supposed to break up the outline of the tank, not just make it blend into a background.  The current "bocage" type terrain is so uniformly green that it turns this point on its head -- it is harder to see the uniformly green M-4 and easier to see the broken-outline panzer.

Long way of saying "what wrongway said."
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:56:31 AM »
Apart from the Afrika Korps, the Wehrmacht's vehicles were generally painted dark grey for the first half of the war. However crews often applied mud to their vehicles in Russia to blend in with the brown steppe terrain better. As a result of this the standard base colour was changed to Dark Yellow in February 1943. Red brown and dark green paint was often applied either in the factory or by crews as extra camouflage. In late 44 the base colour was changed to green with the dark yellow and red brown applied over that for camouflage.

There is a good summary here of German vehicle colours:
http://www.figuren-modellbau.de/camouflage-german-wehrmacht.html

AH's Panzer IV is an Ausf H. This version was produced from April 43 to June 44 and so all would have had the dark yellow base colour with various camo schemes applied over it. It may be there is an individual scheme where most of the base brown was painted over in green however.

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 05:20:08 AM »
Could be worse...
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 06:16:14 AM »

And wrong way...for some reason your first picture looks...off. The second is rusted and not it's paint scheme. And your pictures are a tiger, kingtiger, kingtiger and a scoutcar of some type. None of them a a panzer IV.

They're Panthers - not King Tigers. The Panther was a good tank - real smooth when driven. Probably the best tank of the war.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 07:20:05 AM »
I wasn't thinking of historical accuracy. But the game does put panzers at a disadvantage. I check 'disable plane skins' myself.

But wrongway's Panther there in front of the church.....with that nice little hole there under the turret, I'm thinking that camo job could be called, "what's left of the paint after the fire dies out"

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 03:07:03 PM »
The problem is all someone needs to do is disable other player skins in their video options and your camouflaged tank now sticks out like a sore thumb again. This leads to a SERIOUS imbalance in favor of the M4, especially in scenarios/FSO
I have always felt being able to turn off other skins on tanks provided everyone using a Sherman M4, ( myself included ), and unfair advantage. And for me it's not enough of a challenge when tanking, so disabling this feature would be nice. I myself have not turned off other players skins for 2 reasons; 1.) A greater challenge; 2.) To allow other players to use their skin of choice. This is my choice, but I know many others would not choose to do as I do. But it would be nice if we all did. Just my two cents.  :salute
Proud member of the Ground Pounders. Pounding our way to victory!

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 03:19:13 PM »
What you need is more variety in the color of the environment.

Posted on that in my "weather" forum. I changed what it is about, but basicaly I am asking for the seasons to change meaning that summer is green, spring is brown then green, fall is the reverse, and winter is brown briefly, white, then briefly brown again.  But I agree Wrong way. We need more variaty even if we don't change the seasons. Meaning gold tan wheat fields, dirt strips, something other than pine trees, brown bushes, green bushes, red, gold, and brown leaves in fall, stuff like that. I serisouly doubt that everything that wasn't green trees was green grass in winter in 1940's.

If you want to check it it is called "addition of weather to AH2".

They're Panthers - not King Tigers. The Panther was a good tank - real smooth when driven. Probably the best tank of the war.

So they are. Sorry, I was a little bit "underwater" as this was at 10PM after a long day. And that is arguable about them being the best tank of the war. I would cast my vote for the sherman as the german tanks got mobed by 6:1 numbers (shermans:german tanks).
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th