Author Topic: Robert Stanford Tuck Spitfire Mk V  (Read 13185 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Robert Stanford Tuck Spitfire Mk V
« on: July 19, 2009, 04:37:25 PM »
A few weeks ago Skyrat kindly sent me the book Fly for Your Life by Larry Forrester. This is the biography of Wing Commander Robert Stanford Tuck. Tuck joined the RAF before the war and was soon recognised as an exceptional pilot and one of the best shots in the RAF. He was also a very lucky one, surviving two pre-war mid air collisions. He was one of the first few RAF pilots chosen to fly the then brand new Spitfire.

Tuck first saw combat over Dunkirk flying for 92 Squadron, and over the next two years scored 27 confirmed kills, was awarded the DSO, three DFCs, an American DFC and rose to Wing Commander. An extremely aggressive pilot he was shot down a number of times. His famous luck held out though. He often just managed to coax an overheating Merlin back over friendly territory before it expired and once was saved from a bullet wound by a coin in his pocket.

He commanded 92 Squadron and 257 Squadron and later led the Duxford and Biggin Hill wings. As part of an RAF delegation to the USA he advised the USAAF on combat tactics and also test flew US fighters like the P-43 and P-47.

On 28 January 1942 while on a low level Rhubarb mission he was shot down by flak and spent the next few years in POW camps. In 1945 he and a Polish officer escaped and made their way to through to the Soviet Army, Tuck's ability to speak Russian saving their life. Here they were made to fight as infantry until they escaped and made their way to the British Embassy in Moscow and then back to England.

The book is a great read, written in the fifties it has a different slant on the war than more modern books. I have lent it to my brother, but once he has finished with it I will post it to another AH player who want to read it. PM me if you are interested.

In light of this, I've decided to do a Tuck skin. Well, that's what I do.... :)

This is the aircraft he flew while commanding the Biggin Hill wing and the one he was flying when he was shot down and captured. As a Wing Commander Tuck's aircraft carried his initials.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Robert Stanford Tuck Spitfire Mk V
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »
One of the first Spit driver biographies I had in my collection.  A good read.  We used to have his Hurricane skinned too if I remember right.

Nice work on the Spit Vb!

There are a bunch of photos of that bird after it was downed.

Now how bout his Spit I's? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »
Nice skin once again Greebo!

I found a worn paperback version of the book few summers ago from a used book stand at a market for a 50 cents I think :) I don't have it with me right now but the style/age of the cover was something like this...

...but the text was in yellow and there is Spitfire pictured on ground on the cover of my print. Unfortunately I haven't read it yet.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:14:45 PM »
Wow! How long did he have to fight as infantry before they got to the embassy? Talk about pushing your luck to the limits...

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
The flight he was downed on, he'd managed to put a 20mm down the barrel of the quad 40 that got him, peeling back one of the barrels.  There is much reference to "Tuck's Luck"
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:38:54 AM »
The book isn't too clear about how long Tuck was forced to fight as infantry. There is mention of interrogations, changing regiments and a two day battle with an SS unit, so I'd say weeks.

The flak regiment gunners was all set to lynch Tuck for shooting up their mates. Then they discovered he'd shot that 20mm shell up one of the quad's gun barrels, they thought it was a great joke and their mood changed instantly. Another example of Tuck's luck.

I looked at doing Tuck's Spit Mk I. However I've not done a Mk I template and its not a trivial job to modify the Mk Vb template. I'd have to redo the wing panel lines and rivets and alter the oil cooler. Also I could not find any photos of that Spit, just a few plastic kits.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:28:19 AM »
Nice skin.

Those rhubarbs were an absolute travesty, a lot of good pilots were lost over france for no gain.  I've always kept an eye out for 'fly for your life', it's a book i've always wanted to read.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 07:09:44 AM »
amazing thing is his 27 confirmed victories were scored in less than 2 years, as he spent more time as a PoW than in combat.

had he not been captured and his luck held out he would have most likely beaten Johnson as the highest scoring allied ETO ace.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »
Also I could not find any photos of that Spit, just a few plastic kits.

"1939 No. 65 Squadron carried the FZ code letters only before the outbreak of war. The nearest aircraft marked as FZ-L, K9906 was also the first to be delivered to the unit in May 1939. It was probably flown here by Sqn/Ldr Robert Stanford Tuck"

"the fourth Spitfire, FZ-A is K9903, and is being flown by F/Lt Gordon Olive"
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
Classic shot.  You can see evidence of the pre-war fuselage roundel change - Yellow ring over painted and red and blue portions expanded outward and inward respectively to obliterate the white portion. A very interesting and confusing period for RAF markings, so many changes over a short time. 
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »
Nice Skin! Now we just need a JE-J Spitfire Mk IX or XIV so I can fly with it!  :rock

:salute Greebo

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 12:05:56 AM »
You mean like this?

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 12:07:45 AM »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:49:32 AM »
He doesn't want the Jr. version.  He wants the big boy version.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 12:57:13 AM »
He doesn't want the Jr. version.  He wants the big boy version.

wrongway

Nice Skin! Now we just need a JE-J Spitfire Mk IX or XIV so I can fly with it!  :rock

:salute Greebo

Isn't that an oxymoron?